650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Maybe...

Maybe...
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
rhilker

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

Borjawil

There was a guy on 650 garage that gave a 650 an old school look with an old springer BSA frame and sidecar. The construction post was moved here at one point but I don't remember where.

The point being, he used ABS pipe to go from two carbs out the side to a single airfilter. I don't know if the carb holders heat up too much or not but it is concievable that the same thing could be done with one carb.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

Yes. I do know of the temp. difference between the cylinders. The bike runs very good with one carb. Temp difference with the setup? Hell if I know man. Bike runs good, mixture is good from the status of the plugs, I'm not going to read into it too much further than that. I'm not building a race bike here. Building a bike to ride, and it rides really well, and my pistons aren't melting into the oil pan. I promise, I talked to them to see how they were doing. Laughing

And I'm not sure on that ABS pipe idea. I mean, it is feasible. But I promise, a cheap welder, a cut off wheel, a hole saw, and a grinder, and a manifold can be born. There are some relatively heavy space constraints on the XS frame, and things have got to be pretty tight in there or it's not going to fit. Just a thought..

Steve

Edit: One last thing:

What do you guys think would be a fair price for this bike? Something has come up and I am relocating back to FL, and am considering my options as far as raising a bit of funding. Consider that I have a ridiculous amount of spare parts. Jets for the carb, spare block/head/jugs/lots of other useless(in my opinion) stock items, that would go with the bike. What do you guys think?

Steve
borjawil

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

Yea lmk if you can find that thread rhilker. Im guessing you made the manifold your self. Just wondering what gauge pipe you used and what material. Also the wattage on your welder. thanks again!

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

borjawil wrote:
Yea lmk if you can find that thread rhilker. Im guessing you made the manifold your self. Just wondering what gauge pipe you used and what material. Also the wattage on your welder. thanks again!

Me? Yep I made mine myself. I used some exhaust tubing from Summit I believe. Don't know the gauge but it's 1.5" in diameter and you'll only need one "j" bend. My welder sucks, it's welds are fine, but they look like monkey snot. It runs off a 120 line. Nothing fancy.

Steve
borjawil

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

whats the radius on the j bend piece you bought?

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

borjawil, If you're looking to buy a 2 into 1, try wiseguys choppers and customs. I know they were selling a 2 into 1/ vm36 setup on ebay a while back. It was a nice looking manifold, a little long, but really well made.

Wise Guys Choppers LLC
16129 Smoky Point Boulevard
Unit B
Marysville, Wa. 98271
Phone: 360.651.5665
borjawil

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

i saw em too a while back used to be cheaper about 110 then went up to 175 i think or soemwhere around there. I havent seen them on ebay for a while.
besides i could buy a cheap welder and materials and do it for cheaper. or pay someone cheaper to do it.

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

I stand corrected. It wasn't ABS it was copper plumbing pipes. Also easy to work with.

Here's the thread: 650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=6827

copperaircleanerhousing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.4 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

copperaircleanerhousing.jpg

aircleanermounted.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112 KB
 Viewed:  370 Time(s)

aircleanermounted.jpg

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

yea ive seen that thread as well.

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

what is the size of main jet that you put in the carb this bike has impressed me so much that on my bobber I would like to try the same carb setup it will work nicely for my bike with one carb instead of two.
Photo Gallery
idahoscreamer

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

I have been looking at the sealed lead batteries and I was wondering what capacity (ah) you used
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: June 13, 2009, 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

i have a sealed lead battery i use. i believe its 7ah.

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

Could you explain a bit more about how you put the intake manifold together? How did you make the flanges? Is the manifold made for exhaust tubing? Inquiring minds want to know! Laughing
Custom650

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe...

I'm digging the bike. I'm not usually into stock framed bikes so much, but you really set it up perfectly. Good job, man. I think you should be able to get at least 3g's for it.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2