650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New guy here, building 650 scrambler

New guy here, building 650 scrambler
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
TheRadBaron

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

Hello, I've made a few "parts wanted" posts here, so I though it would be polite to indroduce myself. I'm from central Illinois and I'm relatively new to XS650s, but experienced with vintage Jap bikes in general. I've got I think 18 old bikes from '47 to '78, 17 of which are Japanese. The highlights are a '47 model U Harley flathead, a '72 R5 with RD top-end, and a '72 Kawasaki H1 triple. My main rider is a '72 Honda CB350 twin, but I'm building a '77 XS to replace it.
I haven't yet ridden an XS650, but I'm looking forward to it. I've always preferred much twins over fours, but my little 350 is just, well, little. I'm building up my 650 as a street scrambler. It's got a high-mounted alloy front fender from an SL350 Honda and a steel idrt bike rear fender. The front wheel is a Honda CB77 200mm DLS drum laced to a 19" alloy rim (I don't like discs). For the exhaust I'll be using the high pipes from a '72 CL450 Honda. They'll take some modifications for sure, but I think they're more suited to the 650 than the CL350 pipes that other people have made work. The 350 pipes are a bit smaller ID than the stock 650 pipes, while the 450 pipes have a very slightly larger ID. I've completely rewired the bike using Mil-spec aviation wiring supplies. It's very simplified wiring. Just headlight, tail light, charging, ignition.
The scrambler design isn't just for show. I live out in the country and do a lot of green lane riding, and I've had some problems with my street-spec CB350 when I ask it to go offroad.
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

Hiya Red....Im new too...like the idea of an XS650 scrambler....I lean toward scramblers myself...any pics yet? I have a few scramblers too...CL77 in pieces, Cl200 , CL350, two CL100 in pieces, and a couple of Z50 s , all hondas.Just picked up an XS650 to chop, bob, chobob or somethin...still runnin it thru my pointy little head.Kevin.

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

looking foward to seeing some pics, sounds like a cool build
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

I,too,have a fondness for scramblers. This is my 1973 CB450 K6,mocked-up as a scrambler, with CL pipes and front fender. And I would be remiss if I didn't state that the paint is actually Rustoleum Rust Reformer (oh yeah,no "dollar store" paint here). Spent the long green at Lowe's. Just hate it when I spend $10 on a $5 scooter.

rat scrambler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.75 KB
 Viewed:  669 Time(s)

rat scrambler.jpg

1979FXE

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

Wow..that pic reminds me of my CL350..gotta get it charged up and take her for a spin....maybe clean it up a little.

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

Hi Rad, welcome to the site Smile I think you will like the xs in off road trim, just keep the weight light as posible and she'll do fine Wink
gggGary

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here, building 650 scrambler

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1