650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Anyone Running Dellorto's

Anyone Running Dellorto's
    Forum Index -> Fuel
XS650RR

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone Running Dellorto's

I'm thinking of purchasing a set of the Dellorto's from Mikes XS. Is anyone currently using these ??.... Any info you can provide would help.

I currently have a set of 35mm CR's and they work amazing, however seeing that they are not single carbs, they are a pain in the ass to get off and on the bike in a racing environment. I wil keep them for my street tracker project ..

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

I bought a set and ran them for 96 miles with a set of mikes xs replica's on my 81H. First thing I did was break the chain. It had more power than I expected and it was an old chain. Still I was impressed. The bike went fast. I think it might have been faster than my 80 with BUB's. I was unable to go slow... They were either on or off, kind of like fuel injection, difficult to modulate. I was unable to tune them well enough so I took them off. If I want to go fast I ride my 80, or too fast, my FJ1200. My 81H is supposed to be the quiet around town bike. They are on my shelf waiting for another project or ? to sell them?
Greg

1989 FJ1200
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

I had one on an iron head Sportster and really liked it. The stock carbs on my 78 work so well I couldnt justify the cost of them
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

wouldn't be legal in my class, sure they are ok for yours?

The bike looks fantastic by the way!

sesamharold

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

In general: Good choice you will make! I cannot understand why so many people go with that Mikuni roundslides, which are totally antiquated. Is it only nostalgia?

Here is some theory:

Download on this site www.dellorto.it/supdoc.asp (take the english version!!)

that one ==> The Carburetor Manual

Also this is good for Dello beginners:

www.ducatimeccanica.co...lorto.html

www.ducatimeccanica.co..._book.html

Here are some practical aspects:

1. The second-hand market for Dellos is huge, as so many European bikes have them as standard (Guzzi, Ducati, Rotax, MZ, KTM, ....). So why buy brand-new when ebay et al. give you much lower prices?

2. Go for the PHF model, max. 36 mm diameter. Although 40 mm PHM are more on sale, this is too big for a 650 up to 880 ccm XS. I have 1000 cc, but still the 36 mm works better on it than the PHM 40. So, this should be your choice:

www.dellorto.co.uk/mer...ctionID=21

3. Take a very close look at all the acessories parts. I strongly recommend the inner 0,7 mm spiral springs, which provide much lower fatigue than the original springs.

4. Take LONG, not short funnels.

5. Take manifolds from the XS SE models, which are 36 mm already. Still a lot of grinding has to be done on them to make the carbs fit well.

www.650rider.com/index...fullsize=1

Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

When Dyno testing/Tuning PHF36 Dellorto's on the XS we tried about 10 different Velocity stacks and the Dyno showed that the shortest were clearly the best but additional low end power could be had with about a 35mm. spacer placed between the carb and the Head (these alloy spacers are being made now and should be available by April).

Mike @ Mikes XS
XS650RR

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

whynot2 wrote:
I bought a set and ran them for 96 miles with a set of mikes xs replica's on my 81H. First thing I did was break the chain. It had more power than I expected and it was an old chain. Still I was impressed. The bike went fast. I think it might have been faster than my 80 with BUB's. I was unable to go slow... They were either on or off, kind of like fuel injection, difficult to modulate. I was unable to tune them well enough so I took them off. If I want to go fast I ride my 80, or too fast, my FJ1200. My 81H is supposed to be the quiet around town bike. They are on my shelf waiting for another project or ? to sell them?
Greg

Greg ..... PM sent !!

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

To Mike from Mikes XS:

Do I understand this right? According to your experience / tests a better performance can be gained by using a 35 mm long manifold between the XS650 head and the PHF 36? Or is it even adding 35 mm to the standard manifold?

Unfortunately right now I am not home but in Taiwan. But looking at Mikuni website makes me think that the original XS manifold length is only 25 mm. Am I right with this?

If so, then it will be a pity in a way. As you can see here (and probably you know that already)

there is not even a millimeter space between the Dellos (precisely their accelerator pumps) and the original XS sidecovers. With the original XS manifolds it all fits just perfectly. Only thanks to the rubber mounts for the sidecovers I can fix them to the bike.

That may mean that with your new longer 35 mm manifolds (or an additional spacer) one cannot use the standard sidecovers anymore?

Could you please comment? Thanks a lot.

Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

Harold: Spacer fits between carb holder and Head and one sidecover is more of a problem than the other. Carbs use Pod filters attached to the short velocity stacks and the sidecover will have to have a minor cut to fit or depending on model it is possible to bend the sidecover a bit by hand.
This setup was done a number of times by Heiden Tuning and works.
I have been notified today that 1,000 of the special spacer are finished and waiting to go with the next ocean container shipment next week.

Mike @ Mikes XS
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

Sorry to repeat myself XS650RR, but pumpers are ok in your race class?
NateDogg

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

I think accelerator pump is what spooks people away from dells and they go with the simplicity but improvement of the mikuni rounds. I had dells on my cafe'd xs and they were awesome once everything is dialed, but I ended up trading them for other stuff and runnin mikunis.
5twins

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

I have a Moto Guzzi LeMans with 40mm Delorto pumpers. I think they're awesome now that they're sorted. They really are a pretty simple carb and easy to tune but you need a baseline to work with. Mine were pretty badly set up from the factory to meet EPA standards. It took me a couple years to locate the right info to tune them. My dealer was no help as well as the distributor. They both offered band aid fixes that really didn't cure all the ills. The solution came from another performance oriented dealer. He knew the right stuff - and it was nothing more than replacing the USA EPA jetting with the Euro spec stuff. I couldn't believe how simple it was and that the other guys, especially the distributor, didn't know this. Even with the correct jetting, those accelorater pumps will cause stumbles at lower RPMs if you dump on the throttle. My owner's manual even warns about this. You need to adapt your driving technique to these carbs and not grab full throttle below 3500 or 4K.
sesamharold

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

Yes, once you have a perfect setup, they just work great thanks to the accelerator pumps.

Those pumps CAN be adjusted. But fabric new Dellos have them adjusted already and the adjustment screws are secured with a special paint / lacquer (hope you understand what I mean). So unless the previous owner of a second hand carb wasn´t too busy and changed the setting, nothing to adjust on the pumps.

Oh, in my former post I forgot to mention:

There are two versions for the PHF Dellos (and most of the other Dello models): Left one and right one. The versions are marked by the last letter in the model type (on the carb body):

S (= italian SINISTRA) is left side
D (= italian DESTRA) is right side

So when buying a set of Dellos for your XS make sure you will have one type each. If you have two left side or two right side types, you will have difficulties in adjusting idle and air vent screws, also one choke is not within reach.

Also, I found out that the weblinks I posted don´t work. These ones here should be fine:

www.thisoldtractor.com...de_1.1.pdf

www.thisoldtractor.com...unings.pdf

bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Running Dellorto's

Hey thanks for the info on the right and left side carbs. I checked mine after reading this (as I was installing) and realized that sure enough I had 2 "D"s. I ordered them from Mikesxs figuring there was nothing to worry about, but I'm glad I read this!! Jim

P.S. where does this clear hose in the red circle run?

img1629neulb3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.6 KB
 Viewed:  539 Time(s)

img1629neulb3.jpg

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1