650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > performance upgrades?

performance upgrades?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
Shannon60

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

John in central wisconsin if you jump the start you have to start on the penalty row which is 30 feet back from the last row with your clutch hand on your helmet until the flag drops, and you can still come from that and win though it is very hard given you have 8-10 laps to get the job done. go get the rascal!!!
tracker79

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

I think on a good long run a moped would get me, between the numbnuts and a sore rear, i would have to change gears and the seat to take one for any distance.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

Ya....after a 150 miles or so I swear it think I need a proctologist....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

do you know anyone with a 350 RD john? tell your neighbor kid you're going to give him a break and use a smaller bike to make the race fair,
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

That's brilliant.......xsjohn
Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

hey john was it ever said you had to stay on the road? that would be the way to cheat u should get him to race u to ur brige thro some ones yards or off road it would make ur burn out easyer and im prety sure ur xs would handle the ruffer terain beter than this guys scooter its just like all the crap these guys are talken about in there litle my daday can beatup ur dady thing!! and it would probly be in ur best intrest to get it done as soon as u can before he puts to much s*** on the thing!!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

This pig handles the bumps like a drunken elephant......now you want me to get thrown off in some ones yard........and putting more s*** on that thing of his has already happened I think........he ain't gonna be turning either....really hope he aint reading up on nitrous oxide which I think he is cause it's been pretty quiet over there today......straight line for that little devil don't help my case at all............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

jayel wrote:
can't rememer the movies name, but this guy is about to get into a fight with a much bigger guy, "whoa, whoa, whoa", he says "we have to set the rules" "what rules?' the other guy asks "well no eye pokes" pokes guy in the eyes, "no ear slaps", slaps guys ears, "and none of this either" drop-kicking guy in the ummh, the basic message here john is find a way to cheat, got a extra rear wheel/tire with a big sprocket?

Remember the knife fight in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid? The big guy wants to fight with knives. Butch says "Wait a minute! We gotta decide on rules. The big guy is taken completely aback. He exclaims "Rules! Whaddya talkin' about rules in a knife fight?" Then Butch kicks him in the balls and clubs him over the head with something majorly heavy (I forget just what).

It was a hoot.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

John -- the way to handle that kid is to buy him a sack of rock candy right before the race. Then call the cops and tell 'em there's a crack dealer ridin' a motorcycle over the bridge. They'll shoot the little twerp on sight. You get rid of him permanently and the cops take the heat. What could be neater than that?
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

Would agree with that but......there is a bunch over there and they are all putting their heads together.......would have to have a plan to eliminate all of them for good now....... my latest plan which is a bit of a hit or miss might end up being a more permanent solution....

xsjohn

neighborhood protection.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.36 KB
 Viewed:  385 Time(s)

neighborhood protection.jpg

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

"Remember the knife fight in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"

yep that was it, I was just paraphasing it to get the point acrossed, not sure if you need that much firepower john, maybe a nice little 81mm mortar? or one of the M79(?) grenade launchers just pop a couple of rounds over the fence to stir things up, of course a 20mm chain gun (vulcan) would be nice too if you really want to hash things

xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

It's all starting to come together now..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

just listen to the voices john
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

Great advice ....think I will.....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

You know it isnt all the horsepower that gets it done. Yes comming down the front straight a ex-500 with a good pro rider isnt going to beat a gsxr-600. But as proven at loudon, which I beleive is the most technical track in the us. A ex -500 's track record is a 1.09. The average 600 supersport runs 1.25's and the pros right up to 1.07's. Now thats 68 hp verses 130 hp? 2 seconds isnt that much. I like that cause for those that dont know what a ex-500 is the will be surprised. It is a parrellell tiwn 500 cc ninja. personally I enjoy a tork motor over horsepower for twisty roads but thats why I ride these old sleds. A freind of mine told me a couple days ago that he rode a couple twin cam harleys and asked me if I had. I said no, and he repied to me I wouldnt like them cause they have lost there tork. He said his stock shovelhead has more then a twin cam. He also said his 69 shovel would devour a twin cams tork specs on a dyno. Everyone has been brainwashed into thinking they need horsepower. its ok, but more tork would work better for me.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

santiablo wrote:
um yeah so i looked at all the cool stuff all you guys are doing with the xs n went out n bought one! im still trying to get in running but in the mean time im looking for ideas as to how to increase performance in a nutshell i wanna make it go fast and i wanna get the front end up. im eventually guna bob it out but i don't think im guna hard tail it iv already got k&n pod filters for it but thats about it. everything i have looked at on here about the carbs just confused me im no mechanic and have no clue what im doing. n also any one ever break of the threads of a spark plug in the motor? or at least have a good way to get it out? if not im guna timesert it as soon as i can afford it

Generally speaking the best first performance upgrade that can be made is on the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

After that, for the XS650 start with the Minton Mods. Swingarm bushings replaced with bearings....though not glamorous....will make a HUGE difference in the XS. As for lifing the frontend....refer to my first advice before moving on to those mods.......
XSBradGA

PostPosted: July 24, 2009, 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

Well hell, seems no one really answered the guys question. If I was looking to loft the front wheel I'd build for a fat mid range. Big bore kit, good ignition, moderate performance or stock cam, some head porting and smallish carbs, say 34mm.
I'd strip the bike as light as I could and gear it kind'a low. OK that's my whole two cent's worth.
As far as that 12.5 sec XS...that's all it said "XS". I would suspect that XS had an 11 behind it. The XS-2 time looks more realistic. www.dragtimes.com/Yama...-6808.html
dwyatt

PostPosted: July 24, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

Yeah, what Brad said. Only addition I can make to that is make the head porting a prioriety. It is the real key to XS performance due to a number of design and manufacturing issues. Improving the head is a LOT trickier than with most bikes and while it is easy to find someone who will port it at a reasonable cost, your best money spent will be there. If your flow is impeded, none of the other mods will perform to they're potential.

I built a play racer, so wanted the best porting I could get and there are really only 2 - 3 choices then. I went with XS650Performance, they use a CNC machine to replicate the Yamaha factory racer head from the late '70's. Beat that anywhere else. If nothing else, go to their webpage and buy teh XS performance manual, it will discuss all the options for street or track, then you can make your best decision.

Just remember, opinions are like ass holes - everyone has one and most of them stink..................

1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: performance upgrades?

If you don't have the mechanical skill consider buying one all done. If you have to have somebody else do the majority of the work plan on spending more than the bike will be worth.

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3