650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > It worked fine!

It worked fine!
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
mtc57

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: It worked fine!

I just wanted to give a shout out here because if you're thinking of buying the PAMCO and see a bunch of problem postings here, you might be scared off the product. I got mine last weekend, installation was a piece of cake, and it worked exactly as it was supposed to. I used OEM-type bullet crimp-on connectors, so it pretty much plugged right into the old coil/points fittings (1976 XS650C). I saved all my old stuff (coil/points plate) in case someone in the future wants to put the bike back to 100% original. Fired right up, timed it with a timing light, checked maximum advance, and everything was back in place from beginning to end in about an hour and a half. I took off for about a 2-hour test ride, and it all worked just like it should. Very happy customer.

I do think Mike's should include the ground clamps for coil fitting though, just to save a trip to Home Depot. Where I live, the nearest hardware store is 30 miles away, and I'd rather pay an extra $5 so the kit is fully complete. Just my own preference though; others may prefer to get their own clamps. I made a bracket out of aluminum sheet, with holes at 55mm and 100mm distances, so the new coil bolted to the aluminum sheet, and the sheet bolted to the original coil mounts. I may drill some more holes through it to allow for airflow/heat transfer.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: It worked fine!

I've been happy with mine so far, too, though I do plan to go back and solder my crimp connections once I get some unrelated issues sorted.

Kudos to Pete on support, too. Nice, knowledgeable fellow.

TC
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: It worked fine!

mtc57 and TeeCat,

Well, I'm happy that you're happy! The PAMCO ignition system is just over a year old, although it's predecessor was on the road for 12 years before I designed the current model.

The introduction of the product and many of the teething problems were openly discussed right here on this forum and on xs650garageusa. There are few if any new products that are introduced with that much transparency and it served to alert potential buyers and users of the product of what to expect and what the remedies are for problems that were discussed.

The pace is picking up, and I think that the PAMCO will be the standard by which other systems are measured. I will be introducing similar systems for other bikes, including the Honda CB750, so going into the new year I look forward to providing a low cost high performance system for many more riders.

mtc57: I have discussed the idea of including the clamps in future kits with Mike. We're working on it.

Thanks again....PamcoPete

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1