650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > arg more springer ???

arg more springer ???
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Frames
calicruiser

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

probably need to find a raw one. 1. it would be less expensive than stripping and twisting a new chrome one. 2. we probably cannot get you one. The ones we get (DNA) have round front legs so you could not twist them like you want.

We are building a bike right now using that offset kit. It is made by a guy named Gary Poh. BW is just selling it for him I would guess. Top notch kit but you cannot go wider than a 200 out back. THE CHAIN IS CLOSE TO THE TIRE!!! I would go with a 180.
later
josh
santiablo

PostPosted: June 16, 2008, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

sweet i will start looken to see if i can find one that is raw if any one runs across one please let me know!!! as for the rear tire kit im still trying to get an idea as to how much biger it realy is! but do you not have to modify the swingarm? is it a compleatly a bolt on mod? i was planing on replaceing the bushings on the swing arm but i didnet want to have to modify it much if at all cali could you do me a realy big favor and post us some pics of the bike so those of us that are extreamly ignorant such as my self can get a beter idea as to the diferance?? and dose this gary poh guy have a website that we can just buy it from him?
Photo Gallery
santiablo

PostPosted: June 16, 2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

btw guys im going to start my own bobber thread soon!! insted of just all these random threads with questions and questons on other peoples random threads . . . . not to say that that wont contiue ill just have some pics up so u guys can see the sour fruits of my labor . . . . and have an evan beter idea as so how litle a clue i have as to what im doing!! XP
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

santiablo wrote:
sweet i will start looken to see if i can find one that is raw if any one runs across one please let me know!!! as for the rear tire kit im still trying to get an idea as to how much biger it realy is! but do you not have to modify the swingarm? is it a compleatly a bolt on mod? i was planing on replaceing the bushings on the swing arm but i didnet want to have to modify it much if at all cali could you do me a realy big favor and post us some pics of the bike so those of us that are extreamly ignorant such as my self can get a beter idea as to the diferance?? and dose this gary poh guy have a website that we can just buy it from him?

cant post up any pics of the bike in progress but there is one on our website here: www.freewebs.com/glcho...dtails.htm
4th pic down. I did not realize you meant on a stock swingarm bike. Without modding the swingarm you will not get anything larger than a 140 maybe back there. These wide tires kits are for custom hardtailed frames like the one we build.

josh
LDO107

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

Sweet! Just the info I was looking for.

Josh,
so what you're saying is that all the springer needs it to have the center bolt removed and then machined the head of it down so that it sticks out further?

a pic sure would help! Very Happy
Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

hey guys.. This is a great thread..
Im just starting my XS bobber build and just wondering about the springer front end that I have...

Im guess Im a little confused about length, 2"under..etc..etc..
Im wondering if the springer that I have is too long..

This is what I have.. Looks like 38 inches in total length from axle to the top of the tripple tree clamp:

Is this to long to use?
The shaft that goes into the steering head is exactly 26mm thick (using a caliper)
The length of the shaft is exactly 7 3/4 inches long

I was envisioning something like:

I know. I know its a HArley but if the springer that I have is too long, Plan B would be something like with stock forks & tripple.

Any thoughts?
xsleo

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

locoleon your forks are not a springer fork, it's a girder front end.
If you look at the pic of the springer and yours you will see that on yours the whole front end moves up and down by pivoting on links at the top and bottom of the trees.
A springer has the lower arm solid and the upper arm moves up and down and the rockers that hold the wheel pivot on the upper and lower arms.
I have read that the girder front end works better than the springers.
I would use it just because it is different, everybody uses a springer.
Being about 38 inches long as you measure it puts it about 9 or 10 inches over stock length.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

xsleo wrote:
locoleon your forks are not a springer fork, it's a girder front end.
If you look at the pic of the springer and yours you will see that on yours the whole front end moves up and down by pivoting on links at the top and bottom of the trees.
A springer has the lower arm solid and the upper arm moves up and down and the rockers that hold the wheel pivot on the upper and lower arms.
I have read that the girder front end works better than the springers.
I would use it just because it is different, everybody uses a springer.
Being about 38 inches long as you measure it puts it about 9 or 10 inches over stock length.

Thanks for the info!!..
It being 9-10 inches longer, wouldnt I have to have the frame modified so that it doesnt look like a launching space ship?
xsleo

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

Yes you would need to rake the head. If you contact a chopper builder they could tell you by how much you need to rake the head to fit the front end.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

You can shorten that girder with out much trouble. Might even be easier than raking the frame. Either way It will be a bit different than most others. keep us updated on the build, it's got me interested.

Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

yeah.. that true.. I could have the bottoms shortened... hmmm...
xsleo

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

On a set of trees I have here from my 75 the stem measures 8 inches between the trees. is this how you measured your stem?
As for the bearings you will need a set of the tapered roller bearing like mike's sells or where ever you can get them. Install the races in your frame. Your girder uses 1 inch bearings. A set for a 1 inch trailer axle will work just fine. They will fit the 650 races.
You might have to modify the upper tree or the nut to make up the 1/4 difference in stem length. You won't know for sure until you try putting it together.

Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

xsleo wrote:
On a set of trees I have here from my 75 the stem measures 8 inches between the trees. is this how you measured your stem?
As for the bearings you will need a set of the tapered roller bearing like mike's sells or where ever you can get them. Install the races in your frame. Your girder uses 1 inch bearings. A set for a 1 inch trailer axle will work just fine. They will fit the 650 races.
You might have to modify the upper tree or the nut to make up the 1/4 difference in stem length. You won't know for sure until you try putting it together.

yes.. between the trees, the stem measures exactly 7 13/16 inches.
The stem thickness is exactly 26mm
I'll throw up a pic with the measurements as soon as the battery on my camera charge up...
As for when you say: " Your girder uses 1 inch bearings. A set for a 1 inch trailer axle will work just fine"...Im just a little confused.. Sad
I will be ordering a set of tapered bearings from Mikes XS later today...

Oh by the way.. Thanks for your help.. Im completely new to this Grider thing..!! Smile I think I will have the bottoms chopped and rewelded.. I dont want a rake on the bike...
xsleo

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

The bearings in the set from Mike's fit the 650 stem. The lower bearing has a 30 mm hole, the upper bearing has a 25 mm hole. This matches the 650 stem.
Your 26 mm stem is 1 inch, real close 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
Most of these after market front ends are set up to fit a Harley. Harley uses 1 inch bearings.
Most small trailers use 1 inch bearings. You can get them anywhere. Even Wal Mart sells them.

Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

xsleo wrote:
The bearings in the set from Mike's fit the 650 stem. The lower bearing has a 30 mm hole, the upper bearing has a 25 mm hole. This matches the 650 stem.
Your 26 mm stem is 1 inch, real close 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
Most of these after market front ends are set up to fit a Harley. Harley uses 1 inch bearings.
Most small trailers use 1 inch bearings. You can get them anywhere. Even Wal Mart sells them.

You are absolutely exactly correct.. the stem is 25.4.. ( I just assumed that my old caliper was a bit off and just rounded it up!!..

So other than the axle bearing that I need, is there anything else that I would need to mount that Grider on to the bike?

Thanks again!!..
locoleon

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

Ok so I bought a set of 1 inch trailer axle bearings.
I found that although it fits the stem, the outer diameter of bearing is too large: 50mm. The steering neck inner diameter needs to be 48mm.

my outer diamter bearing is too large by 2mm and wont fit into the steering head/neck

Anyone one have any idea where I can get a axle bearing with an inner diameter of about 25mm and an outer diameter of 48mm?

A bearing part number from some manufacturer or something?

**EDIT**
I just reread XSLEOs thread...
OK.. I need to use the 48mm races that come with the Mikex XS tapered bearing... :lol:.. not the 50mm races that come wiht the trailer axle bearings..
Ok I have a set on order...
Sorry.. Such a noobie...
xsleo

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

Correct. use the Mike's races and the trailer bearings.
The only thing I know that might be a hang up now is the slightly shorter girder stem. As you measured, the length is only 3/16's to 1/4 inch short. When you install the girder trees. You will find out just what more needs to be done.
Keep us updated.
Leo

Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: arg more springer ???

any more on this one?

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2