650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > check out this site

check out this site
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Jack wrote:
These dyno graphs clearly depict the results of the testing during the Minton erra.
Gordon...you know that testing of the pipes is just the beginning cuz you've got a lot catching up to do Rolling Eyes Laughing
OK Jack thats it gloves are off lets go you mother farger Laughing Laughing Laughing Truth is this is all kinda silly isn’t it? Should I dyno a model A next lol….. The reason I have been successful at this is not because I make performance pipes but I make pipes you cant buy. I get emails DAILY asking if I can do this or that but hardly ever for what I’ve already made Rolling Eyes I spend hours with people in emails before a sale is made most of the time, its this personal service they need to get the pipes they want. Mike or any big biz could not do this, it’s all “one off” stuff for “one off” bikes mostly and is time consuming, handmade fabrication. I have crap loads of testing results from the era, Eddie Atkins, Shell, Larry Kirby, Roland Cushway etc… and from Yamaha racing division them self, it’s published info and can be bought by anyone now because the bike is so obsolete. But the truth is I have no catching up to do, I don’t care! And neither do my type of customers as long as there chop looks good and there bike has at least around the same power as stock, because when you take away a 100lbs in weight you get a faster bike anyway, and if it was about going fast we wouldn’t take the suspensions away. Now I promise you I’m doing this with a Smile on my face and is for fun and curiosity? If I was to do this for a living then I would probably be acting different on this subject in public to protect my interests, but I would still feel the same way privately. I’ve decided the first pipe to test is my 2into1 because it was the pipe Mike first commented on I think? Results should be interesting, in my favor or not we will see... Wink p.s. I've been married for 15yrs so I'm used to being wrong Laughing

Jack

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

gordonscott wrote:
Jack wrote:
These dyno graphs clearly depict the results of the testing during the Minton erra.
Gordon...you know that testing of the pipes is just the beginning cuz you've got a lot catching up to do Rolling Eyes Laughing
OK Jack thats it gloves are off lets go you mother farger Laughing Laughing Laughing Truth is this is all kinda silly isn’t it? Should I dyno a model A next lol….. The reason I have been successful at this is not because I make performance pipes but I make pipes you cant buy. I get emails DAILY asking if I can do this or that but hardly ever for what I’ve already made Rolling Eyes I spend hours with people in emails before a sale is made most of the time, its this personal service they need to get the pipes they want. Mike or any big biz could not do this, it’s all “one off” stuff for “one off” bikes mostly and is time consuming, handmade fabrication. I have crap loads of testing results from the era, Eddie Atkins, Shell, Larry Kirby, Roland Cushway etc… and from Yamaha racing division them self, it’s published info and can be bought by anyone now because the bike is so obsolete. But the truth is I have no catching up to do, I don’t care! And neither do my type of customers as long as there chop looks good and there bike has at least around the same power as stock, because when you take away a 100lbs in weight you get a faster bike anyway, and if it was about going fast we wouldn’t take the suspensions away. Now I promise you I’m doing this with a Smile on my face and is for fun and curiosity? If I was to do this for a living then I would probably be acting different on this subject in public to protect my interests, but I would still feel the same way privately. I’ve decided the first pipe to test is my 2into1 because it was the pipe Mike first commented on I think? Results should be interesting, in my favor or not we will see... Wink p.s. I've been married for 15yrs so I'm used to being wrong Laughing

WOW!!!!!!! I guess my response went right over your head. That's the problem behind the key board,sometimes it's difficult to decode the context of the message.....Oh Well
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hey Jack, would have gone over my head in person Laughing Laughing Laughing but now understand Laughing Laughing Laughing me slow Rolling Eyes p.s. Sarcasm! Nemesis of dummies everywhere lol…
Joseph

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

I hope you do dyno the drag pipes also. That will help me realise if removing the baffle will increase hp and tourq. Besides those are the ones I am interested in. I love the looks and sound of the slash cut drags. If i ever get my emplyment stratened out I'll be your next customer. Can you keep the center stad with the drag pipes?
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Gordon.............backing up to the comments I made about your megaphones in regards to reverse cone design,here's a photo of a set on a Triumph,similar to what I built for my BMW about twenty years ago and sold. Whether you prefer open or close end mega's,the difference in power is like comparing an apple to a orange. Just something to think about the next time you get an urge to play around.
[img][/img]
Joseph

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

In my mind the way I am picturing all of this those pipes jack just mentiond or the long drag pipes (not too big of an inside diamiter) would work best.
Photo Gallery
waylon

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: New member, had to step up!

Hey there, new member here, this is my first post, excuse me if I am supposed to say hello elsewhere but I felt I just had to post under this contentious topic. I joined just to do so!
I purchased a set of greatscotts snake charmers recently (they arrived days ago), Not exactly like the ones on his site. These are longer and wider, built exactly to the specs I wanted and needed. He delivered exactly what he advertised. The communication before, during and after the sale were fantastic! If you are interested in this mans pipes DO IT! You wont be dissapointed. If you are looking for all out performance you need to worry about more than just pipes! I do not desire to feed anyones arguement. As opposed to "backpressure" I believe the term "scavenging" would be a better concept to clear up this issues. Thanks once again GreatScott, the pipes are fantastic! Very Happy

hpim1210.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.97 KB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

hpim1210.jpg

hpim1211.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.09 KB
 Viewed:  437 Time(s)

hpim1211.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hi Waylon, thanks a bunch for going out of your way for some guy you don't even know, very Cool of you to do so Very Happy I will test the drag pipes as well just for the hell of it. More testing tomorrow.....
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

My 2into1 on Jerrod's bike, recent email he sent, I asked if I could post his bike... "Feel free to post my pics and my email if any has any questions about the pipe or how it sounds or runs but scott bottom line is..it looks great, sounds great, and for sure makes some power becuase this thing hauls ass!!!" thanks Jerrod.

dsc_0082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.71 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

dsc_0082.jpg

dsc_0102.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.29 KB
 Viewed:  478 Time(s)

dsc_0102.jpg

dsc_0094.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.18 KB
 Viewed:  405 Time(s)

dsc_0094.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hey Guys, just came back from dyno and VERY happy with results Very Happy All I did for testing was replace exhaust, no rejetting, stock air cleaners. Look at the power and torque gain at around 4000 rpm! Very Happy Jeff (dyno guy) asked if I wanted him to make it look a little better on paper and I said “NO” just correct for heat and humidity. Without correction we were showing a 3hp gain at a little over 4,100rpm but today was 10deg colder so was not fair. He said he was impressed for a small motor, big four's usually pick up 5-7hp with pipe, re-map or re-jet and pods. Dyno tuners can fudge results 6 ways to Sunday but I wanted true results, if I start making things look better then they really are I will lose any shred of credibility I have left lol… I will admit that I was a little surprised by dyno results Very Happy not in the power gain but where power was gained. Will test hi-pipes next week… p.s. blue line stock obviously Wink

cimg4661.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.77 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

cimg4661.jpg

cimg4666.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.64 KB
 Viewed:  465 Time(s)

cimg4666.jpg

cimg4663.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.53 KB
 Viewed:  434 Time(s)

cimg4663.jpg

bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Gordonscott, that is exactly what I talked to you about the other day. I am wondering can you still get to the oil fill/check. If so how what is the outlet on the single? And how much for those fine looking pipes?
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

bbjsw10 wrote:
Gordonscott, that is exactly what I talked to you about the other day. I am wondering can you still get to the oil fill/check. If so how what is the outlet on the single? And how much for those fine looking pipes?
You can get to oil filler no problem and do not need to remove pipe. End of header is 2"od so many mufflers too chose from that would work.

Teebs

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Awesome, Scott. Great looking pipe AND a performance gain. btw, your 2 into 1 meg looks sick with jerrod's chop on it. Very Happy
storm77b

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

I like the look of that pipe on Jerrod's bike. What are the pros and cons of left versus right? I would think that left side exhaust would clear the way for kick start and oil check.

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

The right side pipe would be god for someone wanting to run a single carb out the left side, and for use with a jockey shift. Off the top of my head, without including the visual preference alone.
1980xsRider

PostPosted: August 13, 2009, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Gordonscott,

Some great pipes. Will the snake charmers fit on a basically stock bike?? Or do I have to do all of the mods like the ones in your pictures.
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

1980xsRider wrote:
Gordonscott,

Some great pipes. Will the snake charmers fit on a basically stock bike?? Or do I have to do all of the mods like the ones in your pictures.
they would not fit on a stock frame as seen but can make it so they would. Would require different bends to clear frame. Have new tool to do long sweeping bends so maybe some new ideas will become reality soon based on this pipe? UPDATE: made a set with new bender...

cimg4788.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.67 KB
 Viewed:  434 Time(s)

cimg4788.jpg

cimg4799.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.75 KB
 Viewed:  429 Time(s)

cimg4799.jpg

Last edited by gordonscott on August 27, 2009, 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Hi Guys, did another run, this time with the "glass pack hi-pipes" still on stock jetting and aircleaners. The glass packs came in 1st in power but lost power where you use it most, the "2into1" came in second in power but really gained power and torque where you use it (4,000 or so) and last was the stock system. I'm just posting results as they are, I thought the "glass packs" would do better as did Roy Confused so not sure what the deal is there? From these dyno results I will try to come up with a 2into1 hi-pipe with reverse cone meg, I will make a nice design for left side and clear of any and all oil/kickstarter problems, will dyno that system in future. It will be the only pipe I have that will be based on performance. The rest will still be whatever you guys come up with and ask me to make, it's always been the "one off" stuff made for individual projects that have sold the most, and thats cool with me as I'm only one guy and can't make a lot of these anyway Smile p.s. still slopy chain/wheel balance spike's in graph, sorry Rolling Eyes

cimg4801.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.85 KB
 Viewed:  424 Time(s)

cimg4801.jpg

Joseph

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Did you dyno the drag pipes?
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: check out this site

Joseph wrote:
Did you dyno the drag pipes?
Not on this bike but did when I first made them on another bike. Can't compare because carb's were jetted and after market air filters were on bike. And other bike was a little tired and this one runs as new. But think it was a 4hp gain? with jetting and carbs. I will look for that dyno sheet when I can, burried some place?

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4