650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

Advice on cleaning wiring sytem
    Forum Index -> All the rest
WillP

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

I just started working onmy 71 xs650. there is quite a lot of crud and some rust on anything covered including wiring harnesses, wiring and fuse holders. What do you recommend for cleaning pieces? Any particular products? what is the threshold for replacement given budget is not unlimited.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

A good wet start/penetrate like WD40 or CRC556 and a rag will clean things and some fine wet and dry sand paper to polish up the connectors.

Check all soldered joints and any green crud clean up. If wires are black (rusty) where they go onto connectors cut off and solder new connectors. Continuity test the circuits for broken down wires....

As for your thresh hold if you get it working within the specs then why replace.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 14, 2009, 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

To clean the inside of female connector a member said he put a small cotter pin , open ends out , in a dremel tool and wound it with steel wool. Insert into the connector and wind it up.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
WillP

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

Thanks you very much 650skulls.5twins and pumps. I sincerely appreciate it.
steelburner

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

I had a similar problem of corroded connectors (all of 'em!) on my '82 SJ which had been sitting up for a minimum of 12 years. I'm too lazy to clean each connector by hand, so I bought some stuff at the grocery store which is designed to clean copper, brass, and silver by dipping.

It worked! Connections came out bright & clean. I rinsed the bejabbers out of each connection with hot water and then dried with my wife's hair dryer afterward. Then I coated them with dielectric grease on a Q-tip.

Ta-daa!! Fast, simple, and it worked. After a bit more than a year, all connections are still clean and bright.
uwould

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

deoxit Shocked
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

Deoxit is a wonderful thing. Keep a can in my service van.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
estewart

PostPosted: December 25, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on cleaning wiring sytem

i rebuilt my bike because the wiring was starting to go like yours, i took it all off and tossed it. i figured what the heck, i'm up for a challenge and made a wire harness. took me a few tries but overall about $50 for the wire and connectors. just take your time and make a plan by looking at the original wiring diagram and take it one step at a time.

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1