650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > look what racer7x made me do to my bike

look what racer7x made me do to my bike
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
mikeava

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Started out as a pretty darn nice 83 heritage special, but I was infected with his images of this fantastically modified XS, and it forced my hand....

and I LOVE the Results! Very Happy

Just took her out for a spin today, and all i gotta say is the bike feels perfect to me! Smile

now if only i can stay off her long enough to finish up the small stuff.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Not so bad!!!!I like the whole thing,how'ed you get the seat like that? Did you cut the original pan & mold it ?Look's good.
mikeava

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

thanks man, I bought the seat off E-bay its advertised as "ULTIMA BAREBONES GEL SOLO SEAT 86-03 HARLEY SPORTSTER" from (american Classic Motors)

I took the front U shaped piece off the original seat and bolted onto a strap that runs across the front/bottom of the new seat. then i welded a tab at an angle onto the frame of the bike and have a bolt that runs though a tab on the back of the new seat/frame/fender. the seat just sits down on the frame rails, its a good fit, and solid.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Looks good, what kind of exhaust setup? Like the header angles.
mikeava

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Its Mikesxs, (Chrome Replacement Headpipes - 1 1/2" OD x 1 3/8" (35mm.) ID ) with 5" chopped off them, and some slip on (shorty mufflers)

the rear end of the bike is raised up though from the 18" wheel and 13.5" shocks.
Photo Gallery
TXTracker

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

I like it!!
What brand and sizes are your tires?

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Kenda K761 Dual Sport ; Front 100/90-19 , Rear 120/80-18
Photo Gallery
mikeava

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

i found a pic of this ol' bike on the net. and really love how the front end looks on it, i sure would like a front fender over no fender and this one just looks right to me, anyone have any ideas on where to start to get a look like that. would the early 70's bikes fender bolt onto my 83? what bike is pictured here anyway?
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

My guess would be a Triumph T100. Though (another guess really) the guard appears to be chopped a bit front & rear (should have a curled lip at the front anyway), also front braces are extra.
I'm sure somebody more in the know will be by shortly!
Cheers

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

mikeava wrote:
anyone have any ideas on where to start to get a look like that. would the early 70's bikes fender bolt onto my 83?

the fender off a earlier XS would probably fit the upper mounting holes on the fork legs but unfortunatly you wouldn't have the mounting points for the fender braces at the bottom of the legs, think they changed the fork sliders when they went to the larger (36mm from 34mm) fork tubes

Last edited by jayel on January 27, 2009, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

Early 1960s Triumph with TT front end. Looks very much like the late Steve McQueen is the rider...............BG

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

It's Mcqueen from the 1964 ISDT in Germany, there is some great pictures around from the race, and apparently there is a film but I don't know if it was ever released. Bud Ekins who did the fence jump in the Great Escape was on the team as well that year.
Cool bike, I am guessing it is a TR6, nice 2 into 1. The fender and braces look stock, although alloy replacement fenders were common. Johnson motors were the Triumph folks in the states and had all sorts of offroad pieces.
Looks like Steve's bike is registered for the road!!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

The great escape:

jimsgarage.files.wordp...escape.jpg

metalredneck

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

That rear fender makes it look like a hillclimber!

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

That pic of Steve McQ looks to have a '65 or so T120C or a modified bonneville (T120R). It wouldn't have lights if it was a C model without mods. It obviously has an aftermarket exhaust. The C series were the predecessor to the TT models that started in '67. Strictly race bikes, they came with alloy mud guards, possibly even on the back, a Tach, and no other instrumentation or lights. Most had a capacitor discharge ignition as opposed to what we understand today as a points ignition. No battery and the ignition actually ran off AC current. So either Steve modded a competition bike to have street lights and such, or it's a Bonny.
Just my .02...you might say I'm a fan of the brit bikes...LOL.
Butch.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

it was Bud Edkins who actually did the jump
gordonscott

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: look what racer7x made me do to my bike

jayel wrote:
it was Bud Edkins who actually did the jump
That's right jayel Bud and Steve were good friends and Bud ended up with some of Steves bikes when he passed. My friends dad owns three of Steve Mcqueen's old bikes and knew Bud personaly. Here I am on Mcqueen's "chp" Indian in original paint! Mcqueen kept this bike in his livingroom lol... Also here is a Kawasaki 100 that Mcqueen used to ride around on the set of "the getaway" I think it was? It was painted by his good friend Von Dutch. Look close on tank, it say's "Done up for Steve Mcqueen by VonDutch"

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1