650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Larger drive sprocket???

Larger drive sprocket???
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
bryant

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Larger drive sprocket???

Anyone know of a place to get drive sprockets larger than 18T? I'm thinking about trying to make a Triumph rear wheel work on my 1980 XS. Just a guess but it'd probably have to be 22-24 tooth range. If not I might be hittin up my favorite machine shop.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

18 is it........unless you can live withouth a clutch push rod......and the chain would drag on the shifter shaft so I guess you won't need that either........ Laughing

Too many teeth on the Triumph wheel........keep looking..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
bryant

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

I guess I'm not the first person to think of this. why couldn't Yamaha have put the clutch push rod an inch further from the chain!? Ha
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

They thought everyone would love 17/34........ Did live in Japan and the streets were quite crouded back then.........guess 50 was WOT to them......chickens flying everywhere and moma sons scurrying for cover.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
dps-rider

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

If my memory serves me correctly I think the national speed limit in the US was 55 when I bought my bike. Stock gearing is fine for 55 and then some.

You could also put in Mikes 5th gear. That's about equivalent to dropping from a 34 to a 32.5 in the rear if that were possible.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

To me that's still a bizillion to may revs to really enjoy going anywhere...

Reminds me of time my mother drove my mustang in 2nd gear from Orlando to Miami on the expressway at 70.....220 miles.... Sad

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Well i went all out and got a set of racing primary gears, My problem is i have to go up to a 36 rear, or so i have been told Smile
Just scroll down the page a bit www.xs650.org.au/Racers.htm

Last edited by 650skull on April 21, 2009, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

What are those 20% or so.........guess you would go up..........

The beauty for me since I am a 135LB weakling.....I can gear it about anyway I want........gear it so tall I could only put in in 5th going down hill and use 3rd to pull the next hill................. only if round butt Rosy was on the back though........

That same mustang 200 CI 6.......in the mountains in Montana....took 3 hours to get up a hill pulling a trailer in 1st gear pedal to the floor........stopped at a bar and asked what was up ahead......he said just the three sisters..........dear god........a day later..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Honestly don't know, they are an exact replica of the ones Helco made.
Had a wind fall so splashed out, did talk to the guy that gets them made and races with them. Ivan Hoey, He's in the 650 club here.
Good to talk to
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

I will most likely be unseated from the tallest geard XSer on the site.........1st will be interesting and not sure you will get to 5th...... Laughing

xjsohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Also planning some long trips, Takes about an hour to swap over, (8O That's coming from a racer)
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Geeez I never thought of that................ Knocked off the throne. Laughing ...............Mind you its a bit away from goig on...........Still a bit to do...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

""""Still a bit to do..."""""

Like finding a big enough hill to ride down............. Laughing

And if you raise the compression to help pull those gears then it won't chugg ........catch 22 always.......... bet you will retard that timing a bit too........

Another first........here I am making fun of someone gearing their bike up.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Your gonna kicke me..................Putting Mikes 750 on and clean up the head, just soothe the ports...........I'm not looking for speed so i figger the extra torque from the 750, ( and all the people who have 750d, have found less vibration) coupled with the new primaries, and going up 2 teeth on the back should give me that extra if i needed it.............Some of the club members have done it with happy results................I weigh 80-83 kilos, so not to big................
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Sounds good to me.........

And my contention is that the back side of the crank (opposite of the big end) is a bit heavy.......or not enough overbalance.....and when I hear that when the bigger (and would suppose heavier pistons) are used and the vibes go down it just adds to my belief...........

Maybe I will put some weight in my piston pins sometime and see what happens........... easy enough to back out of that with some tinkering time....

Probably get what you want out of 18/28........and a 140 rear tire......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

One of the biggies with this, the gearbox runs faster and is a smother shift, puts more load on the engine not the gearbox........Still trying to get my head around the shifts in power to give me the same or higher top speed in 5th than 4th.........If i achieve that then 1st should still be a dream not a remnant Laughing

Quote] Probably get what you want out of 18/28........and a 140 rear tire......[Quote

Whats the fun in that Laughing
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Matters not what gear you are in .....I'm in 4th most of the time till I get out on the open road.....

as long as you have a great 5th to cruise on home at 3500 you got it...........

"""""""Quote] Probably get what you want out of 18/28........and a 140 rear tire......[Quote"""""""""

"""""""Whats the fun in that""""""""
18/28 and a 140 would be geared pretty tall........even for me.....considering what 1st is going to be.... but once you get going who cares about 1st.......women might.... Laughing

And 5th gear is the weakest gear in there as I have found out the hard way......after it exploded.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

women might like your bike if it had more vibes Laughing I guess there is a little of the rev head in me Laughing .......i like to feel that torque through the gears, not over revving just giving the engine what it needs
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

At my age the women that have been on mine might just be a bit vibed out....or numbed from overuse.... they get that way you know.....and a few rug rats can work against you too...... easy way to tell is.....if you hear "no" more than you think you should.....meaning going for a ride of course.......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

I guess that would be a problem if your small Laughing Laughing Laughing
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Nah.....It's always them that are too big.......... Shocked

Guess we are back to the larger drive sprocket........ Laughing

Cant forget thong thirsday down under .....and some rear sprockets that are too big......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Told you not to lend them to your friends Sad

Naaaaaaaathing wrong with thong thirstday............... they're all dags around here.......
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger drive sprocket???

Not sure I have any friends any more......... Sad

Maybe you could go on the lamb....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1