650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > CDI ignitor mounting

CDI ignitor mounting
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
beemertrash

PostPosted: February 7, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: CDI ignitor mounting

I am building a 1980 bobber, going to run the electrical in a phony oil tank and mount the reg/rect on the outside under the battery. My question, does the CDI box need air to help cool it like the reg or can I put in inside the tank with the rest of the wiring ? I was not sure if this thing got hot or not. Thanks in advance

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

it does get warm but i dont think it will cause aproblem but then again im no electriction.

I used to run an XJ 600 pre diversion, An xs 650 hard tail chop. and an XJ 650 pre diversion all with the CDI hit out the way, XJ 600 CDI was behind the side panels.

xj 650 CDi was mounted to the inside of the battery box which was fully sealed.

and the xs CDi was wrapped in foam inside my battery box. and i never had a problem with it
Photo Gallery
beemertrash

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it....everyone here is great....

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

i have my reg/rect in an fake oil tank it works ok.
beemertrash

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

Bitchin, sounds like I will for sure put it in the fake oil tank....works for me......thanks again everyone......

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

Then if it all melted together you would know where to look........Just joking......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
beemertrash

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

HAHA...funny guy, I am mounting the reg/rect. on the outside, I am just putting the plastic ignition box on the inside......thanks again

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

Can you put louvers or some other type of venting in your phony oil tank? that way you won't have to worry about it.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
beemertrash

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CDI ignitor mounting

Good point....I think that is a good idea, but it rains up here all the time in the Pacific Northwest, although I could put venilation on the bottom....

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1