650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
Custom650

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

I bought a '78 standard that is in pretty good shape with the exception of the tank, which looks like it had a bad date with a hammer in two spots. What are these bikes worth in stock, restored condition. I've been debating whether or not to build a bobber out of it. I know any of you posting in this section are most likely gonna cry outrage at the very idea, but it's not like it a TX or XS1. Any input?
danno

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Presently,the Standards are for more desireable than are the Specials (and much more difficult to find). I am unsure of the value of your particular bike,but if it were mine,I would restore it. Every Standard that gets hacked up makes yours that much more valuable. Also,in my opinion,this bike is a keeper as the frame, suspension and brakes were at the pinnacle of XS650 engineering. Gotta love that Brit bike style! Please don't post a pic,as I may get jealous.
Custom650

PostPosted: December 19, 2009, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

You've seen the only pic I have anyway, lol. I had a feeling you'd be replying. What I've been seeing as of late is that stock bikes like mine are selling for no more than 2000-2400 bux, but the completed bobbers are selling for a grand more. So I'm not 100% convinced the stock bike is worth more. Maybe one day it will be, but truthfully, my heart is not in a stock bike, and I wanna get to work on something. I'm just trying to find out just how many die hards there are out there that might be able to convince me to "save" this original. There is a small part of me that wants to save it, but I don't think I'll be keeping it if that's the route I take.
danno

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

You are right,bobbers do seem to be bringing more money (I don't know why,because flat Black Rust-oleum and hack saw blades are cheap). I guess you can count me as a "die hard". When your bike was new,I was 17,and these bikes were plentiful. I used to think they were ugly,and now I want one! Nostalgia is a very powerful force. Not trying to give you a hard time,but your bike (as nice,original,and rare as it is) will stand out in a sea of "me too" bobbers,rats,and chops that are CURRENTLY in vogue. I love bobbers and the like,but your bike seems to be too nice to be rendered a donor or project bike (plenty of abused Specials available to fill that role). Classic beauty is something that endures,if given the chance. Please don't get upset;you asked for opinions,and I am quite confident others will offer their opinions,as well. I wish you the very best in your endeavors, whatever direction you decide take this bike.

Last edited by danno on December 20, 2009, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Well, all the choppers have a TC Bros hard tail welded on. Half of them have ape s*** handle bars. Most are kick start only. Few, if any, show any real originality. Like, same old same old. Seen one seen them all.

It will take another year for the buyers of these bikes to realize that they have bought an unoriginal, unridable piece of junk that has not been put together very well, is hard to start and is best left in the garage. They will then put them on Ebay and the price will drop like a stone.

At about the same time, there will be a realization that the number of available stock XS650's is in short supply.

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

As my bike sits I have over 4000 in it and have not touched the engine. I have to admit everything is new and some upgrades. Bronze swingarm bushings, powder coated frame and swing arm, timkin steering head bearings, new wheel bearings, powder coated wheels and hubs, Buchanon's stainless steel spokes, new 1.5 exhaust with British style mufflers, new Sparx alternator, new 34VM Mikuni's, new handle bar switches and bars, and new grips not counting the paint job tank and fenders all are new. Will I ever get my money from this bike NO WAY. Is it worth the time and money? YES. I learned years ago that you do not expect to make a money on a re-build

Last edited by tonyc2me on December 20, 2009, 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

+1 for leaving it stock. First let me say I feel you do whatever you want as it is yours, not mine. That's the greatest thing about XSs , there are a million things you can do. Just look through the gallery. The stockers in any kind of decent condition are becoming more and more rare. Supposedly the 77 standard is the most desirable one. I didn't know, I just bought what I liked! According to nada.com a 78 XS650E in excellent condition is worth $2900, very good-$2075. I would still only rate mine as good-$1400 and I have about $1200 into it. If I was worried about getting my money back I would never have started this I don't think.
What about this. Play around getting this one fixed up stock and find an old beater to cut on? One to ride and one to wrench on?

BTW Tony that thing is looking SWEET!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Tonyc2me,your bike is going to be killer! Please keep the pics of your progress coming. Can you please pm me a bit of info on the seat (it looks to be a BSA or Triumph item,and looks outstanding!)? Sorry to get off topic,but inquiring minds,yada,yada,yada.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

I need to add my 2 cents here. Putting on mikes aftermarket body parts is not a resteration, not even close. Those parts are made so you can keep your ride on the road. But for a correct resteration that seems that eveyone thinks everyone should do you need STOCK parts. otherwise you have a chopper that looks kinda stock, (NOT A HIGH DOLLAR RESTERATRION). It took me 6 years to find just one bike that I think is worth rebuilding. (NOT RESTOREING) Just making it 100% stock. And even at that I may need to deal with paint. This is why I say unless your bike has a good STOCK exhaust, bodywork, seat, then chop her up and sell the nice pieces to someone who may have a real nice bike that needs that piece to restore there ride. And regardless of what others say mikes aftermarket parts are not stock parts, so bolt on your comando's or macs, that is not stock.
tonyc2me

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Danno thanks for the kind words. Yes I am trying to capture the British look. I also have a BSA in progress. The seat is original except I had it re-sculptured to look like a BSA and covered in leather. Good luck with your project. P.S. I have British style mufflers for the bike. TC
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Like the riffle bike very cool, has barb seen it yet??
Srinath

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

pamcopete wrote:
Well, all the choppers have a TC Bros hard tail welded on. Half of them have ape s*** handle bars. Most are kick start only. Few, if any, show any real originality. Like, same old same old. Seen one seen them all.

It will take another year for the buyers of these bikes to realize that they have bought an unoriginal, unridable piece of junk that has not been put together very well, is hard to start and is best left in the garage. They will then put them on Ebay and the price will drop like a stone.

At about the same time, there will be a realization that the number of available stock XS650's is in short supply.

This is so true, I decided against anything radical on my XS after seeing that all of them are bobbers ...
Of course mine is an 82 special and leaving it stock is just not an option. I'd be doing a light seat and other rear end shaving ... I love those flat bench style seats ...
Cool.
Srinath.
Custom650

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

I'm not taking offense to any comments anybody has made. If I wanted people to tell me what I "wanted to hear" and not their honest opinions, I wouldn't have asked my question in the restoration section. I'm very appreciative of all you who have put in comments. I just want to get a large group of opinions to get an idea of what would be best for the bike.

As far as chopping up an XS, I never follow the pack anyway. It WON"T have a sportster tank, or a TC bros rear. I do everything custom fabbed. That is my job 40-70 hours a week and I always strive for quality builds that aren't cookie cutter. I'll start a build thread when everything gets going.

So my options are.....

1) sell the '78 to someone who wants to restore it (and honestly, there's not much to do there to get it to 100%), use the money to buy a special and chop that....

2) Chop what I've got and sell the stock parts to someone trying to restore an XS of the same or similar vintage.

I guess I could try option number one, though it is going to be more of a PITA for me. If number one proves to be a losing deal, I'll just go with option number two. If no-one wants a stocker in 95% excellent shape, I'll know it's not as big a deal as I thought it might be. Because, truthfully, if no one is willing to "save" the bike, then why should I if my hearts not even in a nut and bolt resto? I'll post an ad in the classifieds I guess.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Nice no one can complain that dont buy er up. either way I am sure you will undoubtedly come up with a nice bike. Happy building
Custom650

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

lol, that's what I figure! Thanks. I just gotta get some pics out in the sunlight before I list 'er.
danno

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

A shame you're so far away...I would still trade you a 1981 (clear title) and 1982 (no title) Special for your bike.
Custom650

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

And I would do it too. Where are you again?

Edit: Nevermind, I still have your old PM. You're about a 4 hour drive. That's far, but it's not impossible. Maybe we can still work something out. I'm willing to make the trip once the craziness of the holidays are over. I just have to figure out how the title transfers would work. I think it would be easier on your end, paperwork-wise. The PennDOT is run by morons.
danno

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

NYS DOT must be run by cousins of the Penn DOT. Really,though,not that difficult here. If you care to pm me your phone number,I'll give you a call tomorrow. I have some bobber type parts that I would throw in to sweeten the deal . Only one bike has a clear title, because the seller of the 1982 Special backed out on his promise to submit for a lost title. Does the 78 have a clear title? Thanks!
danno

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Custom650 wrote:
And I would do it too. Where are you again?

Edit: Nevermind, I still have your old PM. You're about a 4 hour drive. That's far, but it's not impossible. Maybe we can still work something out. I'm willing to make the trip once the craziness of the holidays are over. I just have to figure out how the title transfers would work. I think it would be easier on your end, paperwork-wise. The PennDOT is run by morons.

Very long-winded pm sent...
Custom650

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

PM sent back. I knew you were the same Danno from the XJ forums, lol. I'm over there too. Just got rid of mine a few months back.
Srinath

PostPosted: December 21, 2009, 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

I'm srinath on xjbikes too. I still have my water cooled maxim, sold the air cooled one 2 years ago, IMHO, the best bike I have even owned.
BTW I suspect the alternator rotor off that maxim is close to the xs one.
Cool.
Srinath.
Custom650

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Danno, I believe you may have just saved an original 1978 standard.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Custom650 wrote:

I think have a little tear in my eye..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Bikes

Last edited by pumps on December 23, 2009, 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a stock '78 standard worth restoring?

Custom650 wrote:

Dear Santa;
All I want for Christmas is an XS650 standard with a clear,transferable title. Please try to overlook my behavior during the past year.

P.S. If you don't grant this wish,you'll be getting no friggin' cookies from me!

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2