650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Freaky fuel leak and possible near explosion.

Freaky fuel leak and possible near explosion.
    Forum Index -> Fuel
xjwmx

PostPosted: December 18, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Freaky fuel leak and possible near explosion.

Looked out this morning and saw a puddle of gas under my bike. Went out and saw it dripping a drop every 10 seconds or so. Could not find where it was coming from. The inside of the left air cleaner was damp with gas, so maybe from there. Had it on the center stand and it slowly stopped dripping. That made me think of floats, so I took the carbs off, remembered the needle seat o-rings were worn and so put teflon tape under them in the channel. Got a good tight fit. While tank was off I discovered if lever is in intermediate positions the petcock acts if it's on prime.

Put it all back and wiped gas from off chassis of bike and started it. A drizzle of rain started and I saw smoke or steam from the header, couldn't tell what, so I shut it off again.

The gas seemed like it had been coming from under the left cover so took it off ---and in the generator area of the cover was a couple of teaspoons of gas! A spark from the brushes would have started a fire or blown it up.

y theory is a combination of wear/freezing temperatures/petcock possibly in intermediate position.

Does not make sense, especially pathway down engine into generator area of side cover. Except replacement gasket is paper and perhaps gas soaked through. But whatever it was, it seems to have stopped dripping, at least for now. One o-ring was almost split in two, though the teflon tightened it up, so will have to get another soon as possible, to avoid a possible fire again.... I'm liking John's vented generator.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1