650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Bronze swingarm bushings

Bronze swingarm bushings
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
danno

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 1:57 am    Post subject: Bronze swingarm bushings

I am going to do a bronze swingarm bushing upgrade,but have a few questions. What parts should be replaced,and is the stock pivot bolt a known problem? The bike in question is a 1978 XS650se Special that has only seen 4 summers since new,has never been left outside when not in use,and has less than 6,400 original miles. It is so easy to spend money at mikesxs,but no sense in replacing parts that are well designed and still serviceable. Feedback from anyone that has done this upgrade will be most appreciated!
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Well I just grease mine (originals) every time I change the oil (1000-1200 miles) or at least every other time and they seem to be still snug or decently so....75K.....I did notice some side movement when I first got the bike 10 years ago so I snuged the bolts until the side play went away...I could feel a significant difference there......If the swing arm is noticably loose when it's on the center stand with no side slip then I would change them...but I am lazy when it comes to that if it seems to be working......the plastic is pretty tough stuff........doesn't hurt to change them though........

think I notice a bit of slop in mine but it hasn't changed over the years......?...and some say it's an amazing difference but don't know what they started with.......if it isn't loose then changing them couldn't amount to any improvement I would think.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Thanks,John. The bushings are already on the way,I just wondered what should be replaced along with them. I think I will replace the the seals on the outside of the swingarm,the grease fitting(s?),the bushings themselves,and call it done. Unless I hear otherwise...
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Danno,
The swing arm bolt should be checked for cracking where it tapers at the threaded end. The have a weak point there and are prone to snap........Yours has done low mileage but mine snapped at 30,000 K's
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

650skull,thank you. Do you know if this applies to all years of the XS650,or if Yamaha corrected it on later models? Thanks again!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

So far as I know, they are all reduced at the end.

Why do they break?

Well, and these are just my thoughts, the swing arm pivot point on the frame is the most flexible part of the frame, so it's twisting & putting undue force on the pivot shaft.
Also if the shaft is too loose, the twisting will be exaggerated, and put more force on the shaft. This leads to flogging out the bushes, which again puts more force on the shaft.
If the shaft is overtightened, again more undue force.
So they need to be just so, with good bushes!

When I changed mine, the plastic ones I took out were fine, and they are on the shelf still as spares, along with the original pivot bolt & steel bushing.

I wonder how many good plastic bushings have been thrown out, just because they are plastic......It's easy to say, yeah the originals are crap, get rid of them & replace with our wonder bronze bushes, it's a great marketing ploy, but only necessary if there is a problem to start with!

RD's and no doubt plenty of other models have the same bushes & they work fine for 20 or 30 years, maybe even more! So those old crap plastic bushes aren't really as bad as some would have you believe!

When fitting the bronze bushes, Mike says it's best to replace the steel bush too, sometimes the old steel bush wont fit through the new bronze ones. Though you could always hone it till it does!

So do you need a new pivot shaft? Dunno, up to you....Skulls went at 30k (thats 18,000 miles)

Cheers

despecial

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

- as far as im aware they were all like that...early GS1000 swing arm bolts fit once the head is shaped
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

As Yamaman said it could be due to under or over tightening the bolt. on another of my bikes the old bushes had worn and were stuck in the swingarm and had to be cut out to be removed. While i was there i replaced the bolt, steel bushing and installed bronze bushers. I have other bikes i can use any good spare parts on them

Why put a taper on the bolt in the first place? ........Any reduction in size will take away the strength of the bolt meaning it is only as strong as the smaller diameter and where it tapers it will flex, (if any), so will crack at that point. A solid shaft should not have that problem
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Just pulled out my plastic ones and they were not in terrible shape for 32 years old. If it warms up here I might venture out to the barn to look at the bolt to see if it's cracked. 8 degrees F this morning has inhibited my motivation. I'm going bronze and see about getting a new bolt or as some of my fellow members have suggest, go with the needle bearing conversion.

danno, if they look ok on yours I might just inspect, clean and lube. Maybe new seals? I'm like you, if it is ok why spend the $$$. A low mile bike as you say.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Thanks for the info,guys. I already have the bronze bushings on the way(got a good deal on them from another site member),so maybe I will just use them on one of my other 2 Specials or my 74 TX. Pumps,you are probably right in suggesting leaving well enough alone. I don't think my 78se has ever even been rained on,and it has been very well cared for,so it is doubtful that it has any bushing issues. I had always heard that the stock bushings were junk,but judging from several responses,that ain't neccesarily so.
Still living,still learning!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

Here is a picture of mine that I took out yesterday. Some of the lip but not all was broken off but really the inside didn't look terrible.
About the middle of this page there are some pictures.
650rider.com/index.php...3&start=96

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 16, 2009, 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bronze swingarm bushings

5Twins installed a grease nipple into the swing arm to grease the bushes. It is important to make sure the grease gets into the bushes.....can't find the photo some one else may have it

If the bolt isn't greased enough the holes to the steel bushing will block up
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1