650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
fadingfastsd

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Hi guys,
I'm new to the site, but I've been developing motorcycle electrical parts for quite awhile.
Not here to advertise at all, just looking for a local XS to finish my part.
I've built a new replacement rotor for the XS650, and I need to fit one on a bike to take pictures for my installation instructions.

If you have a 75-83 (points or CDI) XS650, and can bring it to San Diego, please give me a call. I will need the bike for a couple days so I can install the part and take plenty of pictures so I can complete my installation instructions. You'll get to keep the new rotor installed in the bike for free! (parts are worth about $140!)

If you're interested,

Please give me a call

Evan
760-274-4913
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

fadingfast,

The XS650 does not have a CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) system. It has a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) or points.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Hi Pamcopete, thanks for the info.
I understand the difference, but mainly meant points vs. digital ignition.
The rotor should work just fine with either.
It is an OEM spec copy, with an identical field coil.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

fadingfast,

Well, to work with the TCI system, your replacement rotor will have to have an embedded magnet in the rotor to trigger the TCI pickups.

I'm not trying to shoot you done here, because lord knows we could all use a replacement for the rotor. Really excellent rebuilt rotors are $125.

It would also be very useful if your rotor had the correct markings for the ignition timing.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Hey Pete,
No problem at all and certainly no hard feelings.
I've done many similar rotors for the Honda CB's, which is why I started looking into doing them for the XS bikes.
y rotor will work with the digital ignition bikes because I have the timing magnet embedded in the rotor.
This makes it backwards compatible with the points bikes as well.

I will be selling these rotors brand new for about $140, which I think is a pretty good price vs. remanufactured parts for $125.

I will look into including the ignition timing marks as well.
y current parts do not.

Thanks!

Evan
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

fadingfast,

Just another small technical correction before someone else does it:

The TCI ignition is not a digital system. Remember, it comes from the early 1980's.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Pete,
haha thanks for the heads up.
I know it's not truly digital, I was referring to an electrical trigger that handles timing duties. You are definitely correct though.
fadingfastsd

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Just a bump.
Anybody interested!?
Srinath

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Rebuilt vs new - mikesxs is selling new 70-84 for $139. No core needed.

Cool.
Srinath.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 22, 2009, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Want a free Rotor? Looking for 75-83 XS650 in San Diego, CA!

Man, your doing it rough when you can't give away a brand new charging system for an XS Laughing ..............Everyone must have read all the posts around & fixed them, because there sure has been a lot of them go South over the years!

Good on ya for having a go, I guess the location must be the killer!
Have you tried on the 650garage? Might find someone local there!

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1