650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Will this work? Need to have something set up in order to do the timing and such. Suggestions, comments, questions?

xs650-1-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.05 KB
 Viewed:  6254 Time(s)

xs650-1-2.jpg

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

If your battery is charged it will run until the battery goes dead.
Your diagram doesn't show the green and brown wires to the brushes from the reg/rec. If you have the stock alternator, you need the brushes wired in.
If you have a permanate magnet alternator it looks ok. It will charge without brushes.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Yeah it's a Perm Mag set up. Good. Even though I'm just going to wire it for testfire I think it would be easier to work off of this to wire everything else up.

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Looks good for now. Once you get the basics done it's not hard to add the rest.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Yeah the biggest fear that I have right now is blowing the pamco. Definitely fearful of that. Heard that with the perm mag set up has blown a few.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Actually after thinking about it and REALLY wanting to protect the pamco from the perm mag till I iron things out I made another diagram. Would this work, until the battery dies anyway?

xs650-1-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.54 KB
 Viewed:  640 Time(s)

xs650-1-3.jpg

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

That is what lots of racers use, just a battery and ignition.
If you already have it wired, just pull the 20 amp fuse between the reg/rec and battery.
Pamcopete reccomends a 7.5 amp fuse for the ignition. He has high voltage protection circuit in his system. It will blow a 7.5 amp before the ignition is hurt, it may blow a 10 fuse without hurting the ignition, but may not.
I have Pete's ignition, and use a 7.5 amp fuse. I'd run a 5 amp fuse, but it may blow to easy. Changing fuses to much.

Photo Gallery
bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

Thank you Leo. I feel better about it now. No I haven't done any of the wiring yet. I realized that the harness was going to be worth more to me as an ebay item and to run the few wires that I actually would need to from scratch.

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Testfire wiring diagram - will it work?

- i agree, to test run your bike using a pamco setup it is better to run the ignition off a designated battery circuit...once you have her running properly connect into the main wiring loom..the pamco ign is nice but not totally forgiving

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1