650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > carb holders

carb holders
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Fuel
hoagy

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 5:42 pm    Post subject: carb holders

so my carb holders have some cracks in them. doesnt look like anything major but maybe should replace them before they start sucking air and runnin me lean.
btw, 1981 xs650 special
so i go to mikesxs, and their carb holders warn not to use with ethanol fuel. well i think all gas sold in the USA these days contains ethanol. is it enough to worry about? what is the danger there anyway?

hoagy
danno

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Good question,I was wondering the same thing. Maybe just a disclaimer,as in "better safe than sorry"?
KevC

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Bought mine from MikesXS prior to the ethanol warning & this is what happened after 3 months low mileage use! Try another supplier like 650 Central

inletrubber3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.46 KB
 Viewed:  511 Time(s)

inletrubber3.jpg

inletrubber2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.7 KB
 Viewed:  477 Time(s)

inletrubber2.jpg

inletrubber1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.13 KB
 Viewed:  473 Time(s)

inletrubber1.jpg

Photo Gallery
80xs650

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

KevC wrote:
Bought mine from MikesXS prior to the ethanol warning & this is what happened after 3 months low mileage use! Try another supplier like 650 Central

I had the same experience with carb holders from Mike's, after about the same amount of time. They replaced mine, although I had to agree to install the replacements with a new set of gaskets. The replacements are on the bike now, with just a few months and a few hundred miles on them. I have my air boxes off the bike now while I do some rewiring, and since it will be easy to do now, will pull the carbs off to check the condition of the replacements. I would be surprised if they are any different. I'll post the results.

Srinath

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Do some other bikes's swap over. Like a suzuki GS500 has 33/34mm carbs ...
GR650 suzuki also has nearly the same 34 size carb as a special.
I'll check if the GS ones fit the xs head ...
Cool.
Srinath.
KevC

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Mine were replaced free of charge also.
There are other makes out there such as Tourmax of Japan & I have some of these in stock for when mine go again
Kev
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

I got mine from Old Bike Barn, and there was no such warning on their site, so I'm hoping the ethanol issue does not apply to their product. The manufacturer is K&L, Japan.

www.oldbikebarn.com/Ya...b-Holder_2
Photo Gallery
hoagy

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

TeeCat wrote:
I got mine from Old Bike Barn, and there was no such warning on their site, so I'm hoping the ethanol issue does not apply to their product. The manufacturer is K&L, Japan.

www.oldbikebarn.com/Ya...b-Holder_2

they dont seem to have any hose barbs, also dont fit my '81 Sad

hoagy
KevC

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Look at these on 650Central

"Carburetor Holders '80-84

Carb Boot sets w/gaskets for the 80-84 models.
eet or exceed OEM specification. Made in Japan

OK FOR USE WITH ETHANOL

Sold by the pair only.

#KL11-6239 ..... $39.95"
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Note: K&L, Tourmaster, Mikes XS, Old bike barn etc. are all the same!
We have sold All sources ! The Japanese and the Taiwanese made holders we sell have had the same results with Ethanol causing damage. Ethanol can even disolve some fuel system metal parts. We do not have this trouble with the carb holders or other rubber fuel parts in countries that still sell Real Gas !!! Our suppliers thought we were nuts when we requested they change formulation on rubber and plastic fuel system parts that they have been selling to north America for years. We just
last week approved a new compound for holders on some new Keihin flatslides we have arriving in the new year. Vapour is not the problem but wetness in the holders causing constant fuel contact from leaking float valves & petcocks. All types have been reordered with the new compound after the local gas station selling us Ethanol test fuel informed us that the Obamastan government now specifies this s*** be part of all gasoline type fuel sold. Mike @ Mikes XS
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Mikesxs wrote:
Note: K&L, Tourmaster, Mikes XS, Old bike barn etc. are all the same!
We have sold All sources ! The Japanese and the Taiwanese made holders we sell have had the same results with Ethanol causing damage. Ethanol can even disolve some fuel system metal parts. We do not have this trouble with the carb holders or other rubber fuel parts in countries that still sell Real Gas !!! Our suppliers thought we were nuts when we requested they change formulation on rubber and plastic fuel system parts that they have been selling to north America for years. We just
last week approved a new compound for holders on some new Keihin flatslides we have arriving in the new year. Vapour is not the problem but wetness in the holders causing constant fuel contact from leaking float valves & petcocks. All types have been reordered with the new compound after the local gas station selling us Ethanol test fuel informed us that the Obamastan government now specifies this s*** be part of all gasoline type fuel sold. Mike @ Mikes XS

So, that having been said, I'm left pondering what's the best option for those of us who have problematic or untrustworthy boots that we have recently replaced. Should we just run them and keep extras on hand, at least until the compound issue is addressed for this product? My options are limited anyway because I have a '73, and had to settle for '74 boots. So it seems that we're kind of between a rock and a hard place in this regard.

TC
Photo Gallery
KevC

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Guess that is the only option TeeCat.
Not blaming MikesXS, he is only a supplier but probably best to go for some that say they are ok with ethanol, such as those from 650Central or go for solid ally ones such as these
www.xs650.biz/p/36/mo7...cing-parts
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Kev, I thought about the solid ones, but they're too long for my application.

As to your 650 Central suggestion, I might just keep the new MikesXS ones on for the winter, for tuning and a little light riding (weather dependent), and order a pair of '74^ ones from Mike Morse, since he specifies that they're okay for eth. He says "made in Japan", though, so I'm wondering if they're K&Ls like I have now.

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Mikesxs wrote:
Vapour is not the problem but wetness in the holders causing constant fuel contact from leaking float valves & petcocks.

I guess Mike is saying that as long as you don't drown them, they will last ok!

TeeCat

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Yeah, I got that impression as well. My petcocks are tight and I don't seem to have any egregious flooding/float issues any more.
Photo Gallery
KevC

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Quote::
Vapour is not the problem but wetness in the holders causing constant fuel contact from leaking float valves & petcocks.

Had no problems with my petcocks or leaking float valves either, was running a bit rich but still destroyed my carb holders in 3 months Crying or Very sad
Not even sure we got ethanol in the UK Confused
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

I just trial fitted it and the GS500 head seems to have the same bolt spacing as the xs boots, the GS carbs will fit to the xs boot as well.
That boot dont have the vacuum spigots like the xs ones, so you'd have to eyeball synch the carbs with it off the bike, which I always do. The other thing is, that manifold is a good bit shorter than the xs one, so the air box may not reach if you have the air box, it will as a small advantage, give you more room to yank off the carbs ... its possibly 1/4-3/8 inch shorter ... so much more room to get off the carbs.
In an emergency, 89-09 GS500E/F suzi boots ... and I have never had them fail with ethanol. In 17 GS'es I may have replaced 3-4 ... and that is really good for the bikes that I buy cos they have really been neglected.
Cool.
Srinath.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Srinath have you looked at the angle of the boot? It may not allow things to line up.
As far as failing or not don't we need to remember it isn't the boots(material) that has changed it's the fuel.
The fact that Mike recognizes this and is getting the compound changed to tolerate the alcohol is #1 customer service. He is fixing what alot don't realize is a problem. THANKS Mike.

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

I will trial fit them and post back.
And I am not saying anything about mikesxs, its great what he's doing. I am just posting an emergency fix.
Cool.
Srinath.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Carb holder makers have found a compound that seems to work with ethanol and we are having all future orders of the holders made with this type of ? Rubber ? . We will discontinue the others ($64,000.00 worth in stock at this time ) and write them off once new ones arrive next year sometime ( thanks Obama ! ).

Mike @ Mikes XS
Srinath

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Oh man, I am getting an order together mikesxs, and this is almost why I dont make stuff to sell any more.
I used to make stuff like handlebars and case guards for GS500's, and when you make bars, everyone wants case guards, when you make case guards, everyone wants fork braces, and when you make those everyone wants front end parts. Scary.

Cool.
Srinath.
harleysmakegooddonorparts

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Im wondering why MikesXs has time to post on this site but not time to answer my emails about parts ive purchased or inquiring to purchase?
Mikesxs

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

Harley: I'm wondering why you would make a statement like that ??

All and any Posting replies on this site are made by myself ( Mike Lalonde ) and inquires you claim you made to Mikesxs.com are answered by those that manage/run the Mikes XS warehouse. With 15,000 + very active customers it is not always possible for warehouse staff to respond
quickly but generally they do a pretty good job and get to it as soon as they can. I am trying to get out and retire but I still give a s*** about issues that affect the majority ( as opposed to individual build ideas).
It's all I can do, there just is not enough hours left in the day.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
harleysmakegooddonorparts

PostPosted: December 17, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb holders

I apologize.. its just frustrating when Im missing parts to my order and other parts are not fitting correctly. its been 3-4 days since i emailed my issues and no response. I guess im impatient and ill leave it at that.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2