650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Questing for the electrical Gurus!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 1:37 am    Post subject: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

I've read in a couple of places that the charging system on an XS is fairly weak. My charging system is working fine on my chopper, but when the air compressor kicks on to air up the tank there's a noticeable drop in the running quality of the bike.

On my new bike, it's going to run considerably more electronics. I'll be running megasquirt on this bike, so that'll be a constant draw. Also I'll be running full headlight/taillight/turn signals, fuel pump, and gauges. That's pretty much all I can think of right now, but really I'm concerned that running all of those things is going to be too much for the stock XS charging system. What are your thoughts?

Is there any way to increase the capability of the stock system? I thought about trying to fit an aftermarket alt. somewhere on the bike, but there's no room for one, at least not on my bike

The last thing I want is for my bike to cut out and die while riding, this would be extremely detrimental due to the standalone system. Electrical is the area where I have the least experience, so I like to defer to those who actually know what they're talking about.

I'd greatly appreciate your time on this!
Thanks
Sky
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Hi Sky, well for starters I'm certainly no guru, so take what I say as you will.........

I'd probably look at the Sparx system at 650 central:

www.650central.com/

Also look at fitting a bigger battery, especially if your going to be using the electric leg! Plus low wattage lights/LED's.

What ignition are you going to run?

Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

I was planning on using Pamcopete's setup, but the timing will be run by the megasquirt.

thanks for the link I'll check it out!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Yeah, cool..........No idea what a megasquirt is.....Fuel injection? How does it control ignition timing?

Pretty sure Pete's set up is good for low voltage.

If you have a look at the banshee thread at The Garage (I think it's that thread) there's a heap of stators you can use with a Banshee rotor. You'd have to do some research though to find outputs....

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Sky, there's also this set up........Includes an ignition, so could be a good thing for you???

www.powerdynamo.biz/en...69main.htm

Other threads here on alternators:

650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=7841

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 6, 2009, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

And for the ultimate set up, I'm sure you've seen "Kevs Turbo" before, his alternator would get "old sparky" from Sing Sing smokin!

www.xs650.org.au/kev's%20turbo.htm

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Lot's of amps at the ready this way Laughing :

www.650motorcycles.com/UJ.html

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Yamaha chop I would be looking toward the permanent magnet banshee mod but I admit I am not sure of the wattages. I have seen banshee stators that are reported to have outputs of 200 watts on ebay though.

yamaman that powerdynamo rig looks interesting but clicked on the price link and got : circa price in USD for export outside EU: 543.5 ?

The banshee set up would appear to be more economical.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Yeah, it is dear........Not sure if it'd be negotioble or not...

I'm very happy with my RD setup, works fantastic & 100% reliable!

MM has commented though that the large mass of the RD/Banshee rotor is counter productive. He highly recommends (& sells of course) the Sparx unit @ $455.

So if you were going to the expense of the Sparx & a new ignition system (Pamco with all the fruit $225), the P/Dynamo might (though your back to the big rotor thing) not be such a dear option????

xsjohn

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

A larger spinning mass will help smooth out the ratcheting of these engines.... just like the difference in the early inner rotor motocross MX ignitions as compared to the Enduro larger flywheel ignitions....all of this was well tested by me and others in the 70's and is logical.....a bit of quicker acceleration was given up to smooth out the rotating mass and reduce ratcheting......as I have said before the ratcheting is what tears these up quicker and reduces longevity on all the parts overall...believe it or not that's just the way it is................

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Banshee flywheel being counterproductive is BS.It has actually smoothed my rides out.As far as running a bunch of stuff off the banshee system its not really possible and I dont think it is with the rd system either.I think you would have to go with a sparx.I might be wrong but i think the rd and banshee conversion only put out 160 watts.Their are people out there who will rewind the coils with thinner wire and more winds which will boost it up a little bit but I'm not sure about changing the magnets in the flywheel,rare earth magnets would be awesome.
Coupelx

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

i really dont think the banshee flywheel is any heavier than the stock xs one. i own both a banshee and an xs650 so take it as you want.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

Maybe you wanna have another look.......Banshee is a lot bigger than stock! As the Banshee has an external rotor & the XS is internal.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Questing for the electrical Gurus!

dpmphoto- Unless I am mistaken and this is the wrong part , this banshee stator puts out 200 watts.
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...5ad5bf2a83

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1