650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > why is my right hand carb leaking?

why is my right hand carb leaking?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
future9er24

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 7:52 pm    Post subject: why is my right hand carb leaking?

i rode my bike to school today and when i came out to move the bike (2 hours parkin spots) i saw a puddle of gasoline running downhill and more still dripping from the bike. turns out the right hand carb was leaking fuel INTO the airbox, where it puddled and drained out of the water drain holes. this had me confused. the leak wasnt from the seals, the fuel lines or any of that stuff, just constantly dripping from inside the carb into the airbox. that air filter smelled quite strongly of gas and was wet to the touch, naturally

i ended up adjusting the idle speed screw on the carb, but to no avail, and then the bike wouldnt run. tinkered some more and turned it back to around where it was when i started (albeit a bit tighter) and not only did it run again, but the leak stopped. its been over an hour and still no more leaks...

but im just wondering what in hades is going on there. its never done this before (if it makes any difference i was parked on an incline) and the previous night i took it on a 50 mile ride over the bay. any insight here would be awesome. im still fairly new at this, and it was luck more than skill on my part getting it running again.

thanks for the info guys. love this bike, and the fact that its leaks and problems are always fairly simple to fix on the side of the road.

Last edited by future9er24 on December 5, 2009, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: why is my right hand carb leaking?

you don't say what year it is (81 xs650 in signature) but by the air filters you have a late model with the vacuum gas petcock, it is leaking and the float needle valve in the carb stuck open (piece of dirt)or the parked on the inclice, you can pull off the supply hose and see if the petcock flows fuel but if I was you I'd change that petcock to the manual type (mikesXS) has them to fit all years, pull your oil filler cap and smell your oil if it also got into the oil it needs changed NOW.. p.s. reduce photo size by 50% makes it easier to read post
Joseph

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: why is my right hand carb leaking?

You may have a leaky petcock and a sticky carb float. Are you sure the petcock was in the on position and not the prime position. I have an 80 with a vacuum petcock, same as should be on an 81. With the petcock in the on position the fuel shouldn't pass the pet c*** without the bike running. If it is in the prime position fuel will flow running or not.
I personally like having a vacuum petcock but if it is leaking it should be fixed.

Photo Gallery
future9er24

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: why is my right hand carb leaking?

sorry for the big pic, should be resized now. and i guess i typed it wrong in my sig lol, its an 80 not an 81 and yes it has the vacuum petcock. it was still in the "on" position and that seems to be working, since the left carb was just fine during all of this. the incline bit baffles me even more because the right carb on the high end of this all. piece of dirt holding the carb open makes sense... since after screwing with it the leak stopped. all i probably did was let whatever dirt that was in there go someplace else. ive put another 70 miles on it since last night and its been fine though. no fuel leaks.... just the usual oil leaks Razz

switching to a manual petcock might not be a bad idea though, so i can shut the fuel off entirely when i need to

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: why is my right hand carb leaking?

future, the manual petcock is the way to go.And a fuel filter in the line to the carb's also.The vacuum petcocks are suppose to shut off when the engine is not running, but after 30 plus year's, they just don't work like they should.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1