650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Burt Monroe Challenge

Burt Monroe Challenge
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Burt Monroe Challenge

Burt Munroe Challenge 4 days of fun in the ........... Rain ....In the deep south of NZ just north of the South pole.

4 Days of hill climbs beach races and street races held every year since 2006. The biggest bike Meet in NZ

www.stuff.co.nz/southl...to-gallery

www.stuff.co.nz/southl...+Challenge
Photo Gallery
BSABarb

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

That's just too cool! I love the '72 Triumph.....butit's interesting, the difference in the use of the word"hill climb". Over here it is a specialized bike charging up the steepest hill around on a trail or just up through the brush and brambles, trying to get as high as possible as soon as possible.

It appears that over there, a hill-climb is on paved or surfaced roads, racing to the summit...right? No matter, both are neat, I was just wondering.

Four days....wouldn't that be fantastic? I'd kill to be there.... Very Happy

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

Hey Barb, here's a vid of our local hill climb "Jacks Hill" (sorry it's a car, couldn't find bike footage)

www.youtube.com/watch?...gt6qI&NR=1

Here's some vintage cars doing the Mt Tarrrengower hill climb

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CX9Yylp6yk

Tarrengower has been going for years, used to be a dirt track, similar I suppose (no not quite as daunting) to Pikes Peak.

Well there you go, Pikes Peak, of course you guys know about hill climbs....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrDD3tcibU

Yeah, I know, it's a car again, but man it's a cool run!

Finn51

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

Thanks for posting those pics skull. Barb, a hillclimb in NZ is racing against the clock, one at a time, up a hill, usually gravel or part sealed road. Then do the same down hill and a combination of the two times is the winner. The closest thing the US has would be Pikes peak, which Kiwi Steve Millen has won a few times. I see in the pic of the ATV rider there is a replicar of Burt's streamliner in the background. The Britten is something else to see and hear, fantastic machine. I saw Stroud riding one around Puke a few years back, and there were two in the paddock that time, what are the chances of seeing two. Too bad I can't find my photo's from that day. Got love those Kiwi's eh. John.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

And next year i will be there or be square.

Here is the freight mob. www.getrouted.com.au/
They go to the States, South Africa, NZ, UK and the Isle Of Man. Either way and they are reasonably priced.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

Ahhh, the good old day's, Pike's Peak. You guy's down under got some real nice vintage iron runnin' those curve's. And that link for the IoM, in 2011, maybe, just maybe.
despecial

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

- wow...some old friends and sons of others-freaky
- have competed in the old fashioned dirt track hill climb at Cold Kiwi-here is a pic of my cousins 6T which conquered this event in i think 78 when many mxs failed

- ahhhhhh-toheroa fritters-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

- whatever happened to the Brass Monkeys Rally

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Burt Monroe Challenge

Here's the links

www.brassmonkeyrally.org.nz/1.htm

alive-sydney.whereiliv...y-rally41/

rides.webshots.com/alb...2158guECyc
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1