650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Reed type PVC valve..

Reed type PVC valve..
    Forum Index -> Engine
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reed type PVC valve..

I was looking around mikes to see if there is anything I need for my 71 XS1b and i saw this thing:
www.mikesxs.net/produc...l#products
part number 15-0677..

it looked interesting...

any body have experience with them?
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

- this or some similar 1 way valve has been for me a handy way to deal with several problems
...after removing original filters for k & n's it tidied up the breather hose
..it also created a slight negative crankcase pressure preventing my pushrod seal from leaking

...i do wonder how important it will be to keep your petcocks turned off while not in use - incr cc neg pressure may lead to an increased risk of sump flooding esp if floats and float needle valves are faulty-install an in line fuel filter too

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

you are talking for regular petcocks right?
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

You can get something similar for $5 at the autoparts store. A/C check valve.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: November 18, 2009, 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

A power brake check valve is what dwatt is talking about.
I don't think the negative pressure in the crank case will effect the carbs. The negative pressure is there when the engine is running, it will dissipate shortly after the engine is shut down.
Gas over flowing the carbs can get into the crankcase on the later models, where the over flow is into the intake bell of the carbs. This overflow will fill the air cleaners and can run into the engine.
The earlier models that have the overflow drain out the bottom of the carbs is less likely to get into the crankcase.
It's always a good idea to turn the gas off at the petcocks when not running the engine. The float is not a shut off, it is a metering device to keep the proper level of fuel in the float bowl.
The later models with a vaccum petcock, if it is working right, should be left in the on or reserve position. This will keep the fuel from flowing.
The prime position bypasses the vaccum shut off part of the petcock. This is so you can put in the prime position to get fuel flow to start the bike then switch to the on position for running.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

okay, sweet! that makes sence to me.
maybe i'll go look at Oreiley's for one of those
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reed type PVC valve..

Yup, what he said, brake check valve. Works great and very cheap.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1