650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
danno

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 12:29 am    Post subject: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

I was wondering how the Emgo Dunstall replica muffs sound,as well as the quality of the finish. I love the style,and the price is right,but I don't want a tinny,raspy,or shrill exhaust note. Can anyone advise? Thanks!
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

danno,

Your neighbors will like them. I have a set and like them. I would describe the sound as mellow / muted. I don't like noisy mufflers so they suit me fine.

The finish is excellent. They are 27" long so you have to remove the right side on an '80 to '83 frame to get the axle bolt out when you remove the wheel.

I'll try to get a video of them later today.

If you still have your stock double walled headers, you can use an adapter to connect to the inner pipe. If you still have your stock muffler hangers, they fit perfectly to the bracket on the side.

1 1/2" to1 3/8" adapter #548520

Here's the inner pipe that everybody ignores

The muffler butts up to the outer head pipe. It's not clamped around it. The clamp clamps the muffler to the adapter.

Last edited by pamcopete on November 8, 2009, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

Soon I will be in the market for some mufflers.My head pipes are actually in darn good shape. I'm interested in this too.
Both sides at my mufflers I have small exhaust leaks , dents in the outlets where a PO tried to beat them on I suppose. The info on the adapter is very nice to know. Where did you get that Pete? Did you sell those cocktail style ones? Where is the best price on the EMGOs?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

Thank you for the info,pancopete. The Emgo mufflers are actually going to be used on my 1974 TX650 project. From your description,they sound like will be suitable for my needs. Thanks again!
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

Here's the video so you can hear them: Note:Video works better the second time, or stop it to spool in.

Nice "loppy" sound when idling. Great for long trips. Those loud mufflers get a little tiring after a while.

pumps, the adapter is available at most Auto Supply stores with the number that's on it, #548520. It fits very tightly over the inner pipe, so you can either wait for the carbon to completely seal the joint, or apply a little muffler sealer. I just let nature take it's course with the carbon buildup.

I bought mine from someone on EBay last year for $49 ea. Part number 80-84051 Dunstall Replicas, 27 3/4" long. Works great with stock jetting or for BS34's, 135 mains, which you should have anyway.

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers

Thanks again,pamcopete! Due to the fact that the only isp available here is dialup,I was only able to hear only bits of the audio,and no video. The bits I did hear was music to my ears. Hopefully I can recoup enough from the sale of my stock TX650A mufflers to cover the purchase price of the Emgos. Thank you for taking the time and effort to educate myself and others. You truly go the extra mile,which is very rare these days.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1