650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > new used bike running on one cylinder

new used bike running on one cylinder
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 7:04 pm    Post subject: new used bike running on one cylinder

bought a new used bike 78 it only runs on one cylinder

new used.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.96 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)

new used.jpg

davmo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

SCORE!!! They are getting harder to find around here!
Barbara

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

Oh, Man!!! I totally bit on it, too...... Laughing Embarassed

Very nice bike! I'd love to find one with a trashed frame and good engine, and drop it into a BSA B25 rolling chassis I have in the shed. Wouldn't that be neat? A Yamabeezer that looks Brit but is reliable!

But that one is just about right the way it sits! "Running on one cylinder", indeed!

Good one---both the bike and the tag-line for us suckers...... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

I saw the line and said to myself, "Jayel having a problem? No way." But , of course, I had to look. Nice score Jayel, it look's real good, even when I blew up the picture.
gggGary

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

clubmans.......... gotta put on clubmans
Just try to stop your self from doing some cafe change!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

hey I'm 61 YO I don't do the MFF riding posistion Laughing I might take the turn signals off but that will be the end of the rad customizing
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

Had me going for starters as well, wondering "whats they on about"

Nice Cool that would fetch over 4 grand here probably higher, starting price on ebay would be 3
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

Nice score there, greybeard! Nice play on words too. Been thinking of a single myself, kinda back burner thing. Something will turn up in time, they always do.
blackwidow

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

is that an xs400?? I had gotten one for free and I regret getting rid of it. It didn't have a title but it did run and at the time I had too much on my plate and I sold it and now I regret it.

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

is that an xs400?? I had gotten one for free and I regret getting rid of it. It didn't have a title but it did run and at the time I had too much on my plate and I sold it and now I regret it.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

blackwidow wrote:
is that an xs400?? .
No it's a SR500 single cylinder thumper, xs400 was a tiddler twin Laughing

JeffM

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

Good for you Jayel, what a nice bike!! I hope to have one of those in the garage someday. Skinny and lightweight, and I bet it makes a lovely noise.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

There was one here abouts for sale not long ago but I was full of bikes at the time. The 78 & 79 had the rear discs didn't they? Then Mother Yamaha switched the rears to drum I THINK?
Good looking bike! I'm jealous you know?
I've not seen one started but read , there's some sort of indicator that shows the piston position?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

pumps wrote:
There was one here abouts for sale not long ago but I was full of bikes at the time. The 78 & 79 had the rear discs didn't they? Then Mother Yamaha switched the rears to drum I THINK?
Good looking bike! I'm jealous you know?
I've not seen one started but read , there's some sort of indicator that shows the piston position?
yes the earlier ones had rear disc then changed to drum yep little window up on right side cam head to indicate starting posistion has a lever to use de-compression device to get there, big singles are known to have kick back if proper starting procedure is ignored

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new used bike running on one cylinder

5twins has a sweet one I think.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1