650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > tachometer wierdness problem

tachometer wierdness problem
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: tachometer wierdness problem

My tach needle is moving slowly, as if it was damped. It won't shoot up quickly when you rev the engine and when you turn the engine off, the needle floats down slowly.

I put a new weather gasket on the tach this morning, went for a ride and everything was fine.

An hour later I rode again and the tach now has this problem. I was careful not to fold, bend, or mutilate anything, but something happened.

Anybody ever have this? Any ideas on a fix, especially one that doesn't require taking the tach guts apart?
Photo Gallery
roar

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

Ok I know this is going to sound dumb, but I did have the same problem. Took it apart, put it back together, lubed everything up, and all with no success. The last thing I tried was further tightenening down the two acorns that hold everything together. Though I doubt that that's what fixed the problem the tach worked perfectly afterr that. Worth a shot anyway I guess.

Best of luck,
Roar
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

Thanks for the suggestion, but didn't help. I suspect the pointer needle got some grit in it or something. If it doesn't fix itself in a couple of days I'll loosen those two screws inside and give it a few shakes.

As for getting inside the guts, it looks like it's crimped together by that trim ring and would be a big hassle - especially if it didn't improve it....
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

XJ, removing the trim ring is not that difficult. Use a 1/4 inch dflat screwdriver to 'peal' the lip back enough to get it off. You might have a glob of old, hard grease on the pivot point for the needle. On cleaning off the grease, be very carefull not to get ANY cleaner on the surface's of the plastic part that has the number's on it. Front or backside, it can & will melt from some cleaner's. When reassembling the guage, you can clamp the ring back in place with channel lock's, or use 4 inch shrink wrap. Pamco Pete has used the skrink wrap very successfully, & I have a piece that I will use IF I ever have to pull the guages apart again. Not only is it easy to use, just cut it off the next time for repair's.PM him for the link for the shrink wrap.Cost was like $12.00 shipped.,,,Gordo
P.S. there is a small screw on the pivot for the needle that is used to set the tension on the needle, but most of the time,it's just some gunk that is slowing the needle operation. If you mess with that screw, your calibration will be off.

Joseph

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

I had a similar problem wher it seemed worse in cold weather, I havent noticed it lately though. I dont think I did anything except lube the cable, wich didn't seem to help at the time I think it just worked iself out.
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

Not unexpectedly it fixed itself today and is back to normal, which was some consolation for getting rained out of a planned long trip. Would have gone anyway, but still have a cold from the last one Smile

For the new gasket I used a length of black rubber tubing about 1/8" outside dia. It sits nicely between the speedo housing and the lip on the bucket; doesn't even need glue. Looks stock.
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: tachometer wierdness problem

Mine did that for a while, because the bike sat in a snowbank for seven years. A few good trips to redline cured it. Twisted Evil

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1