650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Want help converting Special to Standard

Want help converting Special to Standard
    Forum Index -> Frames
Sabre

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Want help converting Special to Standard

I've got a great '83 Heritage Special that I'd like to convert into more of a Standard: flat seat and larger (non-peanut) tank. I've already got the proper bars, that was the easy part.

Is it better to source a seat off Ebay or something, or to have a local upholstery shop use my existing seat pan and create a flatter seat on it?

Will any of the Standard tanks fit this '83 Special frame?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, BTW...I know lots of folks have bastardized their Standards in an attempt to "Specialize" them. Is it heresy to go the other way? Wink
despecial

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

seat mounts differently-special slots on n lifts off, std is hinged-can grind the rear seat brace off and weld on the hinges if you have a std seat pan-the lines of the std seat are flatter both top and bottom
tank n bars are different
special rear wheel is 16" and takes a wider tyre-not so good for handling-height is much the same
special rear shocks are mounted differently-use longer ones
special and std use different sidecovers
special exh pipe profile is different-i prefer it myself
special also has a fork cover with an emblem on it
you will have the 34mm carbs and have slightly higher compression
also you will have electronic ignition
heritage has the wheels with more spokes
heritage has the points and adv covers with lettering on it
probably some other differences but i cant think of them at the moment

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

damn this no edit is annoying

better to source a seat-the lines are much cleaner
all the normal tanks are interchangeable-not so sure about the earlier ones
if heresy was an issue people wouldnt bob, chop, track, brat etc their bikes, its a personal thing and in my opinion you get a better handling bike-but thats just my opinion-reality is that theyre all built for different styles of riding-maybe you can have 1 for each day of the week

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

Sabre wrote:
BTW...I know lots of folks have bastardized their Standards in an attempt to "Specialize" them. Is it heresy to go the other way? Wink
Smile ROFL Smile
I cut the hump off and a local shop did a nice cover for like $50.
You can get an extra 20-40 miles out of a standard tank from a 77-79.
A 18" rear wheel and swingarm from a TX750, standard bars, tad longer shocks and the trees dropped about 1/4 inch. Still it doesn't "ride" like the 79F.

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

I would just leave it the way it is and go find/buy a nice standard that is just how you want it. It would be "pure" that way and probably cheaper in the long run. Then sell the Heritage as it is or have both bikes and twice the fun. I think someone else would love/be glad to buy/own your Heritage as is, especially if it is as nice as you say. It is a great bike like it sits, just not a standard and never will be. It could be worth less "altered". So ride it like it is now and get yourself what you really want, which is readily available if you shop around and that would be an enjoyable task in itself. It is your call, Sabre, but give it some thought, and have fun however you go. Best of Luck to you!!!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

Sabre , go over and rummage around in Barbs garage for a standard! Isn't she in Washington state?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Sabre

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

OK, thanks all...lots to ponder. Yeah, I'd like a purpose-built Standard, but (a) this is already in my garage, and (b) I only see Specials listed...can't recall the last time I saw a Standard come up for sale.

Damn...if I could convince she who must be obeyed (and my banker), I'd have a different one for every day of the week!
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Want help converting Special to Standard

Just keep your eyes open. you'll be surprised at how they pop up. Craigslist is where I see a lot of them.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1