650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > PAMCO 84 Install

PAMCO 84 Install
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
phatdawg

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: PAMCO 84 Install

Sure do wish that the instructions were specific for the newer bikes too. I just looked at Pamco Petes website picture and that might help some. I will go out and try some more. The camshaft lock nut is tight , I guess that I have to lodge something in there to get it off. Check back later.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

phatdog,

Well, what exactly is your problem? If you are installing the PAMCO in a '83 that was TCI, then there is no locknut to take off. There should be nothing under the covers on right or left.

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

Its going now that I opened the right cover. Never had to look where the points were before. I did get real intimate with the alternater housing and guts. I guess that the pickup coil stays right there where it was?

Also not sure about the two different material shaft bushings. I guess it will all come together.

Also, By the instructions it sounds like my old negitive wire (orange) to the old coil is not used on the new coil setup?

Thanks for helping me through this.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

phatdawg,

Right, the pickup stays where it is. The old orange wire is not used. You should unplug the TCI box. There is a connector under the left side air filter cover.

As for the shaft bushings, install a brass bushing first and then the steel "Labyrinth" in the right side cam cavity. Just install the bushing only in the left side.

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

Got it running yesterday. Couple of observations:

When you manually open the advance weights they don't spring back. Is this something to be concerned with?

Still had to kick it many times before it fired. Should I be worried? Maybe the battery or spark plugs need to be replaced or both.

Thanks Pete. She is running. Even fish tailed during the test drive. That has not happed with this bike.

Thanks!!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

phatdawg,

Yes, the advance weights should spring back. If they don't, then that will affect the timing. Could be the reason you have to kick it several times.

Did you set the timing with a timing light?

There could be binding in the advance rod and bushings, or the springs are weak. You could try some emery cloth on the advance rod, and make sure it is lubed. If the springs are weak, then you can bend the ends in a little bit or get new springs.

Here's a video of what they should do. The video works better the second time:

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

I used some white grease around the bushings but thought at the time that the shaft was stiff and had too much friction. I will take apart again and run some emery cloth on the contact points.

Yes I did time with a timing light and I think that the springs are fine...they are new!

One other question. Do the bushings spin in their place or does the shaft spin within the center of the bushing...or do they both spin?

Check back later.

PD

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

phatdawg,

The advance rod does not spin in the cam shaft. The rod spins with the cam. It hardly moves at all in the cam shaft. Only about 40 deg from idle advance to full advance and there it sits for most of the time.

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

Update:
I took the shaft out and ran some emery cloth over the contact surfaces re greased and the springs snap the advance back now.

Went to start this morning and I was kicking it to death. Put a volt meter on the batt an it was at 6 volts. Charged back up and a few hours later it fired first kick...Nice. The timing was still right on the mark.

So I have a new battery on the way from MikesXS. Looks like I will be on the road real soon.

-PD

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: PAMCO 84 Install

My install has been finished about a week now and I just put the new Mike's AGM battery in. Took it for a 50 mile mountain ride yesterday and it perfomed very nice (I was able to keep up with some duel sports). Thanks for Pamco Pete and 650 rider.com and Mikesxs.com for getting me on the road.

BTW, my bike only had 4400 miles on it, but just sitting in a hot garage did not do it any favors. Until I have another problem, cheers

-Phatdawg.

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1