650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > my hopeless project fun

my hopeless project fun
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
toe.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

ok so when we last left our fearless/ and probably not to bright hero he was out of money and generally stressed out with personal problems.

this has not changed but venting by way of hot searing metal and hours of sweaty torment tend to give one some perspective.

when you are out of money start recycling ideas.

ive got the spikes and no idea how to mount the rear fender...
and no idea how to position the seat....
lets just melt some steel and see what happens.

ive properly set the fake oil tin and started giving serious consideration to pipes and brakes.

the exhaust isnt quite right as it rubs when stomping on the brake lever. i will clearly have to move them.... well at least one. shifting side has no rubbing problem... bu a rough symmetry would be nice.

okay keeping it pretty short tonight. still learning. making fewer mistakes i think.

a couple more pictures and then bed time.

dsc_0082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.58 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

dsc_0082.jpg

dsc_0083.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.28 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)

dsc_0083.jpg

Last edited by toe. on November 24, 2009, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
toe.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

bed time

dsc_0076.jpg
 Description:
lever rubs on the turn out... sigh...
 Filesize:  154.24 KB
 Viewed:  393 Time(s)

dsc_0076.jpg

dsc_0071.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.12 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

dsc_0071.jpg

dsc_0075.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.61 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

dsc_0075.jpg

BigGeorge

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

toe, what you lack in mechanical skills you certainly make up for in determination... I think you have captured an audience here of do-it-yourselfers who can relate to every problem and mistake you have encountered and you've done it in a light hearted an amusing way. I'm sure your posts have given lots of inspiration to others here who may have been fearful of trying something new. Keep up the build........ BG

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

thanks guys. i really do appreciate all of the support.

ive almost thought about quitting a couple of times. but then i read a post or something here and get all pumped up to go do something else with fire and metal... probably a bit of bleeding and pain... but good times none-the-less.

cant work on anything else this week due to holiday traveling but might be able to do a little something next week when things settle out a bit.
hopefully will get the pipes all finalized and refine the rear fender support a bit more so it doesn't looks so blocky and so much like an after thought.

will probably go back and edit all of my typos too. geez! there are an embarrassing amount in my posts. why didn't anyone tell me i was doing that?
Dirka

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

could you just weld the fender to the spikes?
toe.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

i could.

i was thinking that if i move the two that are there a little bit closer together they could stay as the fender supports, after a little bit of reshaping.
then i could use the two spikes i have left as cosmetic pieces by welding them directly to the fender in the area where the fender rounds over.

might make that area look to much like a crown... not sure. wont know til i try.
will get to use new bit of dangerous though. acetylene torch. rose tip.
hope i still have ten fingers afterward.
Dirka

PostPosted: November 25, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

"might make that area look to much like a crown... not sure. wont know til i try."

go for it. sounds cool
1979FXE

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

Hey , Im likin this thread....its my nightmare too. Got this 81 heritage ready for the choppin. Anxiously awaiting your posts...I feel yer pain, brother. I can twist wrenches , but the welding and fabbing is my weak spot. Technical stuff makes me woozy. Im kind of a handsaw in a world of turbo powered chainsaws....usually get it done, just a lot slower.I admire your courage. Looks great so far....Kevin.

PostPosted: December 7, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

hows that bike coming? how about an update man.
toe.

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

hi there.

still here and still broke Sad
so have to work a lot of overtime to make up the gap. overtime = no play with bike. Crying or Very sad

that being said means there is pretty much only research being done on my part at the moment. what is this thing? where does it go/ where did it come from?
this part no longer fits where can i put it, do i need it, what can i substitute it with?

for example. the picture below. fuel filter, vacuum type. it no fit gas tank. sigh.... having trouble thinking up a replacement part.

beyond that just thinking mostly about things to do.
there is a dent in the side of the gas tank (i didn't do it). free tank aside its a little unsightly so ive been thinking about pulling it....
but then again Dirka's wonderful results makes me think " maybe i should just grow a set" and dish the tank.

im pretty sure im gonna take a hammer to the tank.
trying to find the time for a proper update and actual progress.
also the shop space has gotten cold.

anyhoo couple of quick pics.
any suggestion is more than appreciated and really i could use a bit of direction. im drawing a little dead at the moment.

vacuum type.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.57 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

vacuum type.jpg

will not fit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.13 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

will not fit.jpg

maybe a golfball did this.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.59 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

maybe a golfball did this.jpg

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 8, 2009, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

You could allway's get the replacement petcock's from Mike's, and use the screen's that come with them for the first filter. Then a second filter on each fuel line between the tank & carb.
Also, Painless Dent Removal is a company that remove's dent's without having to use filler.They do allot of new car dealer work, on stuff like door ding's,ect.They got special tool's to reach in & push the dent's out.

Dirka

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

hey man first of all that is a sweetass tank you have got there. whats so unsightly about it? its just what you need. having that dent in the side makes for a nice starting point. do it man, you know you want to. hell it was free.

keep in mind i had the factory pinstripes to use as a guide. simplified the whole process for me. you need some kind of guideline. easiest thing would be to cut the shape you want out of paper and outline it with a sharpie. that way you can tweak the shape and location before making any marks on the tank.

as far as the process (i could be wrong) i had the tank on its side in an old office chair, puts it at a good height and was soft enough not to do anything to the opposite side. dont swing too hard now, it dont take much to get it moving. now, start in the middle with a large ballpeen hammer to get the shape started. work from the middle outward. once you have reached the depth and are just shy of the edge of your outline grab a small ballpeen to fine tune the edges and give the whole thing that (uneven) golfball look. repeat on other side. hardest part for me was putting the hammer down.

oh and throw those POS vacuum petcocks away. those arent made for that tank. look into what petcock that style of tank used originally. probly a threaded hole somewhere near the back for one. reuse existing hole(s) whenever possible.

now "do work son"
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

kick ass!...... loveing it
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
Dirka

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

well... have you started buffing on that tank?
toe.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

no hammering yet. still making templates for where to hammer.
also. is anyone else having problems getting the forums to load?
bighamms

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

hey man, loving the bike thus far. Honestly, I would roll it as is. No paint, a little rust and a dented tank. I actually really like the stance of your bike. I read through your posts quickly, but don't recall seeing whether your hardtail has stretch. I'm guessing by the stance that it doesn't. I really like that look.....looks like it could eat up some road. Nice work man. Where are you located? rob
toe.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

thanks Rob.
um.... stretch?... um... i believe that its a TCBros. hardtail with its 3" stretch. but dont quote me on that. the tail was part of the sale when i originally bought the bike.

i have a slight vision (that occasionally gets updated) for the bike. some paint is a-comin'... but there will still be lots of rough metal shining through.

Last edited by toe. on December 11, 2009, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
toe.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

no biggy update.
just a couple of shots showing that i am thinking about dishing out the tank.
all pics of same tempate. basic no frills kind of shape
the last pic, the one with more light, shows that the tank has more curve than i would have thought over the top edge so this isnt where im gonna be the final pattern.

gonna putz with photoshop a bit... see if i can wrap my head around something i like. may ditch the idea... not sure yet.

rough shape.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.81 KB
 Viewed:  364 Time(s)

rough shape.jpg

rough2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.81 KB
 Viewed:  356 Time(s)

rough2.jpg

rough3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.06 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

rough3.jpg

toe.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

maybe something more like this.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.71 KB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

maybe something more like this.jpg

Dirka

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

here is a shot of mine might help, might not

toe.

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

definitely like your shape better.
Dirka

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

with that tank you will have to stay with a symmetrical shape. if you dont like that shape dont do it. get another tank and beat the s*** out of it instead.
Teebs

PostPosted: December 12, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

Keep at it. I'm following your build too!
Dirka

PostPosted: December 14, 2009, 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: my hopeless project fun

have you decided what you are gonna do?

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3