650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Sparking at the points

Sparking at the points
    Forum Index -> Electrical
acbanks

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Sparking at the points

Points gapped to .013". Timing dead on. Carbs might be running a bit rich, not sure yet.

Anyway, I've noticed that when my points open they occasionally spark and I get a slight misfire. That means bad condenser, right?
Photo Gallery
acbanks

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

Still screwing with this thing. It misses one time out of ten. Occasional blue sparks at the points.

The carbs are setup right and synched. Cleaned all ignition connections, including the grounds for the condensers.

I have a slight pit on the stationary ground of one of the points set. I've read this indicates a condenser with too low of a capacitance. I've also read that condensers almost never go bad.

I'm using a few drops of motor oil on the cam felts, per the manual. This can't be the best lubricant and it dries out quickly. So what is "points grease"? Is it just dielectric silicone grease? I've read all sort of suggestions from white lithium to assembly lube. What do you guys use?

One more question...how aggressive is a points file? Like, what grit sandpaper would it be similar too? Would a metal nail file be too harsh? No one sells this crap anymore, and I'm too young to have ever seen them. I've just been using thin cardboard and brake cleaner to wipe clean the oil-fouled points, but would it help to file down that burnt spot?
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 25, 2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

You should be able to get a points file, check with your parts store. Sand paper can leave a residue that is as bad as the oil. A file just cleans the contacts up, removes the the burnt spot and shines them up.
A cleaner and the white card board works good to clean off the oil. An electrical contact cleaner would be better than the brake cleaner.
Condensers don't go bad often, but the ones on your bike are probably 30 plus years old. When you did a tune up on a car the condenser came with the points.
Replacing them isn't a bad idea. I have heard of people using two from a car. Either way they aren't too expensive.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
crazyjoe86

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

how would somebody go about using 2 from a car?
JeffM

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

Condensors will go bad gradually over time...

If you take the old condensors to the auto parts store they should be able to find something that will work. Basically if they are the same size, they will have the same rating. I found some that had mounting tabs.

I couldn;t find a point file at Canadian Tire... when I asked the young gentleman at the counter he took he over to the hand tools and showed me a pointy rat-tail file! haha... you have to go to the older guys at the counter for some things.
xsleo

PostPosted: October 1, 2009, 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

Most from a car have a mounting clamp around the body. You should be able to mount two on the screw that holds the stock one. You may have to extend the wires to reach where the stock ones plug in.
With a little looking at the stock one and the car ones it should be easy to see a way.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
RandyRyder

PostPosted: October 1, 2009, 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

A slight bit of sparking at the points I always thought was normal. As points wear, one side or the other will pit or scorch a bit over time. That's also normal. What's NOT normal is HEAVY sparking that burns your points like an arc welder. An emory board (like yer old lady uses on her fingernails) brightens them up just fine.

If you have a bad condenser and it's actually causing your points to burn and your bike stops along the road, filing the burned points can sometimes get you home. Generally, though, I always found that filing is redundant. If the points are burnt, replace the points and condensers. Why mess around with a file if you're got spares handy?

ALWAYS CARRY SPARE POINTS & CONDENSERS!!!!

A douche with WD-40 dries points if they somehow get wet and works pretty good as a cleaning agent generally. 'Point grease' comes in a tube like toothpaste. All parts stores sell it. Lube points with a dab of 'point grease' applied to the leading edge of the rubbing block.

Normal life on a set of points is 10-to-15 K miles. Always replace condensers at the same time you replace points. Points and condensers is like bread and budder: you don't do one witout d udder.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 1, 2009, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

The secret with point's is to have as much of the two point surface's match up when they close. This enable's a better saturation of the coil, thus a better spark.Also will have allot less 'bounce'.Back in the day before electronic iggy, we used to put two of the 'spring's on each set of point's, for less bounce. But, they would have to be adjusted allot more often.If you can still read the condenser's, they will have their capacity orinted upon them. Use those number's when looking for replacement's.Electronic store's should have them, like Rat Shack.
We have a super electronic's store here, because of all the development that goe's on around a defence plant.And yes, condenser's do go bad, they 'leak' the stored electricity to rapidly, causing the point's to get 'pitted on the ground side. Randy is right, carry a spare set, or better yet, get Pamcopete's conversion over to electronic.Easy enough & cheap enough.

RandyRyder

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

Slight sparking on points is normal. You can prove it to yourself.

Install brand-new points and condensers. Set them up perfectly. Adjust the timing, get everything just right. Then wait until dark.

Put the bike on the center stand. Pull the ignition cover off the head. Start the bike and watch the points. They won't be hard to find because every time they open you're gonna see a tiny blue spark. You will always see those tiny blue sparks, no matter how many springs you put on 'em, no matter what other tricks you know and apply. When points open, there's a tiny blue spark.

What your condenser does is to keep that tiny blue spark tiny and blue. If you want to see what condensers do for you, just take the condensers out of the ignition circuit and start the bike without 'em. See what kind o' spark the points make THEN.

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sparking at the points

Why are you guys shopping for replacement condensers at places like Radio Shack? Mikes XS sells replacement condensers for the XS. They cost like $12 U.S. So it ain't like ya can't buy OEM replacements.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1