650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Newbie 6th bike 1st chop
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
nj1639

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

You could dish the tank sides.
Use the pinstripe for a guide and cut that section out, move it to the other side and weld it back in, vise versa. Haven't seen it done in years but it's cool.
Could draw out where a kneepad would go and dish that. Yeah, do that, and if it turns out i'll send ya mine to do.

Good grief, what am I saying?

Dirka

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

NJ didnt touch the tank yet, ill document it when i do.

here is a few pics of what i accomplished yesterday. we (my dad and i) used 3/4 inch plastic conduit to practice mocking up the pieces of my TC Bros universal hardtail kit. it worked out great and for only a few bucks gave me a little peace of mind. getting that practice fit made me alot more confident cutting and notching the TC Bros pieces.

in this pic the forks are held down 2 inches, the rear is stretched 4 inches, and it is 4 inches off the ground (to the framerail). nothing on the rear has been welded yet. its all being held together with vicegrips and electrical tape.

here is a little closer view.

there was some questioning about how the framerails tied together. as you can see they come together smoothly. it worked out well being in the middle of the rear downtube crossrail. gives me more of an area to weld it together. TC Bros slugs are still being used of course.

a shot of the tail section.

these are the pieces of conduit we used to practice fitting it all together.

here is a shot of the other side with the chain in.

a few more from all around. the pics are a little dark i know, ill try to do better in the future.

questions or comments?
jimxsrider

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

That is pretty damn different looking. It looks like its coming together nicely. interested to see where you go from here. keep up the good work.
Dirka

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks jim, not sure whats next. maybe beating in the sides of the tank, a seatpan. lowering the forks. speaking of forks did you get your front end where you wanted it?
danxs650mass

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

hey i like the way its coming out i still get that feeling like one good pot hole and its gona bend in the middle but what do i know i guess you got balls for tryn it hope it works out for you im sure some one allready seen it and is doin theres the same because it looks so diff good luck plus its great to hear its a father son team workn on it cant wait to see more pics
Dirka

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i appreciate your concerns dan, but i just had to do it my own way. i dont know if it will work out in the end, but there is only one way to find out.

being able to build this thing with my pops is great. i owe all of my shop skills to him, and he still has more to teach me. i couldnt ask for a better situation. my middle brother was there saturday for a while, and my oldest brother has agreed to weld it all together for me when he is down for thanksgiving. good times man good times.
Dirka

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i got a few more things cut and fit yesterday. i think the battery and fake oil can fill the gaps up nicely. what do you think?

i have to get a chain tensioner built soon, does it matter if its on the top or bottom of the chain?
Dirka

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

well i finally beat the sides of my tank in, what do you think?

shortened my rear brake arm and reused the bracket off my old swingarm. needs straightened i know.

cut out a seatpan from some diamondplate we had laying around. i havent come up with a rear tank mount/ front seat mount yet. it all comes together in the same spot. i need some ideas guys. what would you do?

here is my latest idea for the chain. see how the chain is routed over the lower crossbar to hold it up in the middle. do you think that once all the excess slack is taken up with the rear axle adjusters that the chain will just slide over the crossbar? or slap on it? i have a piece of plastic under the chain now, but will use uerthane once i find the right piece. will this work or not?

are the last 3 pics too big?
danxs650mass

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

ok well beating the tank in came out better than i thouht it would i have to admit but the chain on top i think you better re think that move i cant see how that would last unless maybe a roller or tensioner of some kind is used pics look good i cant figure out how too get my pics on here lol
Dirka

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

import your pics from your camera or memory card to your computer. sign up for a photobucket account (free). once on photobucket click on the big blue button "UPLOAD IMAGES & VIDEOS"--> from "my computer" load your pics from your files to photobucket. then copy and paste the IMG code into your posts. done
Dirka

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

dan, glad you like the tank, it was much easier to do than i thought. im in the process of gathering ideas for a sprocket type idler. anyone have pics of theirs?
toe.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i am so diggin' the tank!!!!
how did you do it? how did you do i so cleanly? how symmetrical is it?
can i have your tank's dirty dirty love child?

what is that awesome red 4 wheeled thing in the background?
Dirka

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks toe,
i started off with a large ball peen hammer to get the basic shape i wanted then finished with a smaller one to give it the dimpled look. as far as the clean and symmetrical part i used the pinstripes as a guide. i was kinda leary since it was my first try, but it was easier than i thought. took me about 10 min. i had to do it that tank looked like a giant bubble before.

that awesome red thing is a '64 plymouth belvedere that my uncle bought in high school in the 70's. it sat out in a barn for twenty some years before my dad and i got it out and made a drag car out of it. its got a stout 440 and 727 trans. its seen 6.96 in the 1/8 mile. pretty quick for its size
Dirka

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

well my brother came down today and performed a little metal magic on the hardtail. check it out!!!!!

those are some smooth beads no grinding needed

pops finishing off a little liquid engineering
danxs650mass

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

nice welds i wish mine looked half as good as those lookn good whats next??
Dirka

PostPosted: November 27, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

ITS A ROLLER, i gotta thank my oldest brother Jared for layin those sweet beads, he makes it look so damn easy.

dan, first thing im gonna do is put the rear wheel back on and sit on the damn thing i wanna get a feel for the bars and start thinking about where im gonna mount the controls.

after that will either be the batt. box, fake oil bag, seat/tank mount, who knows i kinda work on whatever pops in my head when i look at it. holy s*** i am so pumped about the whole thing now. this has brought on my second wind. i cant wait to get my hands on it and "do work son"
Dirka

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

im heading off to try to make some progress today. new pics tonight or tomorrow
Dirka

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i got my tank mounted today, i had to move the front mounts up and back a bit to close up the rather large hole at the back of the tank. some of you may not know what i am talking about since alot of you are using different tanks. here are some shots to clarify.

this pic kinda shows the gaping hole at the rear of the tank. best i have.

from the side if that helps?

so i moved the front tank mounts up and back a bit

gave me a much cleaner looking rear mount area. fabbed a new rear tank mount as well. got a start on the seatpan pivot too

chain/sprockets lined up. check

with the wheel back on i wanted to sit on it and try to get a feel for where i want to mount the controls, and forwards it is.

one of my fav pics so far

this is a before and after of the tank. what do you think?

i have had a few people ask about it so here is a better shot of the red four-wheeled thing in the background
toe.

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

diggin' how the bike it shaping up.
does the side of the car say "mr. Belvedere"?
Dirka

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks and yeah
Dirka

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

does anyone know if 115 links is long enough for my four inch stretch?
danxs650mass

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i got a 120 and cut some off but i cant remeber how many i cut off 4 maybe
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Dirka, nice job on the scoot. I did not see a response to your question on the chain tensioner, so, it should go on the bottom regardless if it's a sprocket or idler wheel. The torque from the engine is always pulling on the top, so the slack will be on the bottom. Your brother can do some nice stitching, used to do some welding on submarine's myself.
Dirka

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

gordo, glad you like it and thanks for the info. i am gonna go with an idler setup. spring loaded would be nice but an idler will do the job.
yeah my brother had been welding for probably ten years now. a couple of shop welds were cake for him. submarines huh, you dont hear that everyday. pretty cool

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5