650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Newbie 6th bike 1st chop
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
Dirka

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 12:24 am    Post subject: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

whats up 650 riders? i think im supposed to tell you all a bit about myself in my first post, right? well ive been riding since i was about 12, started out beating around in the dirt on the farm with a '86 KDX 80, then a '89(i think) YZ80, and finally a '91 YZ125. that satisfied me till i turned 16 and could hit the streets legally. so thats when i bought myself a 79 honda CB500 custom. i rode that thing as often as i could till '04 and sold it back to the guy i bought it from for the same price i paid. in '02 i went a little crazy and bought a new CBR 600 F4i. that thing was a blast to ride especially in the twisties. they dont call them rockets for nuthin. i ended up selling that one too back in '04. then i went the next 5 years bikeless. not cool.
so a couple days ago i bought a '78 xs 650. i plan on chopping the back off of it and making a bobber. its a good running bike. i rode it around for a couple days. now im disassembling it. i am gonna do everything myself on this build. im doing this on a small budget so if you have any advice i could definately use it.
the bike when i brought it home... i will keep the photos coming as i go

so ive stripped of some of the easy stuff, some of which may be up for sale later

ghostyder

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

i love all things 650, possibly the choppers and bobbers the most, but it is a little sad that you'll be chopping one that looks to have been in such good condition to begin with.

i bobbed the hell out of mine, but it was a non running basket case, lol.

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

That is a nice stocker, 'cept for that seat!
IF it were mine I'd softail bob it (if ya have to bob it at all) in the bratstyle, try to keep it so's you could go back to stock.
But hey, it's your bike.
e i e i o, yo.

Dirka

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

yeah yeah i know i may shed a tear myself, but its what i have my mind set on. besides i have done the stock 70's jap bike thing before
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

no offense man, but them goofy sideways v-twin hondas aint the same thing. lol.

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

I wonder how long this bobber craze will last? Before long people will probably be selling kits to put these bikes back stock.

I've thought about welding some passenger pegs back on my hacked up basketcase for the ladies.
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

"bobber craze" yeah, because guys haven't been chopping bikes for nearly as long as they've been around...
Dirka

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

ghostyder wrote:
no offense man, but them goofy sideways v-twin hondas aint the same thing. lol.
none taken, but like i said ive done the stock thing already. so this time around im gonna do it different.
you said you bobbed the hell out of yours can i see some pics?
Dirka

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

so i stripped the rest of the s*** off the bike today.

at first i was thinking i could reuse my stock tank, but then again its huge!

i took the sawzall to it to help me invision the seat height and length. the wheelbase now is 56 and 1/4 inches. sound right? what kind of wheelbase are you running?

looks good squatting down like that.

i am only 5-11 not sure if i need a 3 inch stretch. what have some of you done. has anyone fabbed their own hardtail? any pics?

apes would be badass
fredintoon

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Hi Dirka,
congratulations! It's acts of Vandalism like yours that keeps increasing the value of the XS650s that stay out of the hands of Sawzall-wielding morons.
Fred Hill, S'toon.
baclay9

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Keep riding that stocker Fred. That's what makes the world go round.

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

how much for the seat? it would look good on my butt ugly bagger.
Dirka

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

you better hurry and wipe those tears off your tank fred. i hear they can ruin the clearcoat.

well put baclay.

roy make me an offer
fredintoon

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Hi Dirka,
I recognize your right to stretch your forks, remove your front brake, paint the US flag on your tiny gas tank, hardtail your frame and pretend to be Peter Fonda.
You in turn should recognize my right to mock you for doing so.
Fred Hill, S'toon.
Teebs

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

fredintoon wrote:
Hi Dirka,
congratulations! It's acts of Vandalism like yours that keeps increasing the value of the XS650s that stay out of the hands of Sawzall-wielding morons.
Fred Hill, S'toon.

Then what are you bitching about? Let me guess; Rocket Scientist?

dirka,
in the pics of you sitting on the bike, your legs are extended way farther forward than any pre-made forward controls are going to reach, and even if you were to make your own that far forward, they would look ridiculous. A 3 inch stretch would give you a way more comfortable ride.
Dirka

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks for the input teebs. i am seriously considering a 3" stretch. as far as forward controls i plan on tucking them in as much as possible in width. length should be just past the headers.

fred, i recognize your rights. i am also glad i was the one to finally break you out your shell. im flattered to have your first... and second post since joining in '05!!!
i mean no offense freddy but if you cringe at the thought of someone chopping at THEIR frame maybe you should bounce back to the stocker thread an post something about how your original tires still have the little tits on the edges. DAMN
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Dirka wrote:
as far as forward controls i plan on tucking them in as much as possible in width. length should be just past the headers.
figure where your feet are going to be after riding a while, too close to the pipes isn't good, you move around and shift posistions while riding, a boot against the pipe smells bad and looks bad

Dirka

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

sound advice. thanks
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

hey dirka, i have a 4" stretch on mine and i'm only 5'6" and i ride just fine, if i want to move my feet i put'em on the side case covers, i'm holding out on final pics cause in finishing her up but here's one without the motor w/ me on her the other night

Photo Gallery
Dirka

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thank you Mr mudd. i think im gonna go for the 3 inch stretch. im looking to be in more of a laid back position. looks like with your bars you may be reaching forward a good bit.
i have to get me a tank too what is yours off of?
mynameismudd

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

dirka, it's a early sporty peanut and as far as the exact year, i'm not real sure. good luck with your build and to hell with anyone who give you s***.
they can't tear down a bike, so they try to tear down others.
tear'em down to build'em up! Twisted Evil wrench, ride and repeat

Photo Gallery
baclay9

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Keep an eye on ebay man. I picked up my 82 sportster tank for $35. You can find some good deals if your not in a hurry.

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

Yeah I sold a sportster tank for $50 not long ago. The stock tank looks smaller if you paint it a solid color and get rid of the decals.
Photo Gallery
Dirka

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 6th bike 1st chop

thanks banks i may do that

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5