650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?
    Forum Index -> Engine
acbanks

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

Based on past experiences with other bikes, I'm guessing not.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

It is, but you have to pull the engine first to modify the studs, bugger hey!

If your really desperate, I've heard you can remove all the bolts & lean it over. Probably damage the finish on the frame/motor take your pick!
Just as much work as taking it out anyway.

Grab 2 lengths of pipe, slide them through fron & rear, tie the motor to the pipe & lift out with 2 people, easy stuff man, don't worry about it!

acbanks

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

I guess I might could pull the valve cover in the bike, take a peek inside. I'm trying to figure out if I need to order both cam guides or just one.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

As cool as it would be to order all your parts first & have them waiting on the bench for you...............Much better plan to open it up first & find out what you need & get it right first time. Up to you though of course, enjoy!
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the b

Want to add a question to this thread, as I am about to pull the head on my '79. The gasket is leaking to the outside and trashes the left plug from the inside. Tried a retorque, but a plug lasts less than a short evening of riding.

Can the head be removed with out disturbing the cylinder base gasket? Or am I kidding myself and should throw in a set of rings and a base gasket.

xsjohn

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

I tilted my engine to the left side and pulled the head off last year........as for the base gasket ....... just have to find out....if it wasn't leaking before I think the chances are good for the base gasket.......... and if the compression is good I wouldn't disturb the pistons and rings........but that's just the way I do it..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the b

Thanks XS John. Compression good, no leak down. Just keeps trashing the left plug with blotches of oil...
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the b

Thanks XS John. Compression good, no leak down. Just keeps trashing the left plug with blotches of oil...
dpmphoto

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to pull the head with the engine in the bike?

For all the work thats involved if you do need a new base gasket after its all together your better off just to pony up the extra bucks and do it

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1