650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Future 650 chopper maybe or....
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
zman

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Greetings,
Thought I would get some feedback from you on a recent purchase. I found this old school chopper with a springer and invader wheels.
The person that sold it to me found it as a rolling chassis so he didnt know either but he thought it was cool and never did anything with it.
I thought maybe it was a 750-4 chopper but the mounts are all wrong,chain is on the left but it dosent match up with any british engines either.Harley cases are all wrong too It has an oil tank so I know it was a dry sump motor.
If all else fails I`ll fab up mounts and use a xs motor in it but first does anyone have a clue what it might be?.
About 6 inches width on the front mounts and 9-3/4 on the rear.
Thanks for your feedback.

Teebs

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Great looking old school frame! I can't even imagine how much filler is probably int that thing. Very cool though.

Did you post this up on thechopperunderground.com? You will probably have a better chance of identifying the motor that fits in there, based on the mounts, on that site. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable chopper guys over there. Not pimping out that site over this one, just deals with choppers of all makes there. Good luck.
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

If I had to guess, I would go with Jap engine frame. The bottom cradle looks like its from the original bike. Dry sump could be CB750, SR500 or some other old skool ride.

Love the frame though, agree with Teebs, bondo has a condo on that frame.

Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

zman

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Thanks for your fedback. I`ll give that site a try also.
I thought about taking the power chisel to it. I just dont know yet.
It kinda has that cool retro look and it was done very well .
sure

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Looks cool...but did it come with paper work? I am guessing not since you are wondering what its for..more then likely honda cb of some variety..
It's pretty much garage art now. Taking a power chisel to it might show you somethings you wished you'd never saw,not considering defeating the whole reason you bought it,the look...
zman

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Maybe. I didnt think lack of papers would negate the ability to register.
Somewhere under that bondo is a serial number , if its japanese then the right side of the neck I should find it. Then a title search and a few extra papers to fill out.
Or maybe I`m wrong but I`m ok with that too.
Thanks.
sure

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

After going out and taking some dims off my cb550 I would venture to say thats what that frame was built for.
don't forget with those extra papers comes extra fees...not to say it a lost cause but when I see something like what you have I have a harder time messing with it then I do with a stock bike..maybe hit up one of the chopper sites and see if there are any pics of it in its glory days..may have something that would be better left untouched.
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

im in california and ive never had to have a bike inspected so long as you got a title to something. if you have some paperwork, id call it good. why make more paperwork?

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

Well guys It be a Norton Commando.
I found a frame pic online that just had to be it. Kinda pricey to buy a motor. More sence to get a parts bike.
ight just do a 650 to keep the cost down.
Thanks for your help.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Future 650 chopper maybe or....

good lord can you imagine taking a Norton and making it into a chop? Shocked you're lucky Barb is on vacation.... Laughing

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1