650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Average battery life?

Average battery life?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 6:57 am    Post subject: Average battery life?

Guys, what is the average battery life for a maintenance-type battery that sees intermittent use?

I brought my '73 TX home in August '07, and one of the first things I did to get it running was install the current battery, a maintenance-type from Advance Auto that cross referenced to this bike. It's now just over two years old, and has seen mainly tuning time with some 30-minute to hour long runs, but really has not seen regular use in a transportation sense.

This morning, I went to take the bike to work, as one of my buddies was going to join me, and the bike would not fire. I was stunned. This is now very[b] rare for her... almost unheard of. She fires as soon as she gets air, fuel, and spark.

I had her running night before last to check my tach cable installation, and my voltmeter indicated normal charging system operation; it doesn't take much throttle at all to get her up over 13... just a crack... and she has been making over 14 at speed. So I don't suspect an overnight, no-apparent-reason failure of the charging system, especially since my voltmeter would not seem likely to lie.

y buddy said the headlamp, which comes on with the iggy, seemed fine initially, but he could see the volts drop as I kicked. So, in my very limited experience, this just smells like a battery that's... toast. Rolling Eyes

I remember that I got just about two years out of my Ninja's battery, and there was no warning when it failed. I want to get a maintenance-free one for the TX, but is that something I can get locally, or am I stuck ordering from Mike's and losing the holiday weekend?

Thanks -

TC
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

TeeCat,

Well, both.
1. Keep the battery on a trickle charger over night while you are waiting for Mikes AGM battery.
2. Rig a temporary switch to turn off the headlight until you get the engine started.
3. Prime the engine with the first kick by leaving the ignition off. She'll start with the first kick after that.
4. Adjust the idle to 1500.
5. Turn off the headlight when stopped at the light.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Pete, I'm reluctant to do a manual switch for the headlight. Not knowing how is not really the issue... I'd be willing to learn; it's introducing the possibility (certainty) that I could forget to turn it on, or off. Sad

I plan to charge up the existing battery when I get home from work and fire her up - I think/hope I can safely rule out a charging system issue based on what my voltmeter has been saying - and try to fire her up. But I'm concerned that if the battery's toast, I'll get somewhere and it won't have held a charge.

Btw, I always prime the engine as you suggest. This morning, though, it didn't matter. So I was hoping to get a maintenance-free battery locally.

TC
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

I've heard the average life for the maintenance type batteries is around 3 years, alot depends on how we treat them.

I bought an interstate battery(maintenance type) when I got my bike as I did not want to invest to much in the bike until I made sure the bike was going to be on the road soon. Interstate also offered an AGM battery as well and that will be the next battery I purchase.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

obn... thanks for your reply.

I confess to relative ignorance about batteries, so it's possible that less than "normal" use and periodic chargings have shortened its life.

I called my local motorsports place, and the guy found a cross-reference replacement that's technically a "wet" battery, but you don't have to add distilled water to it periodically as you would a conventional type. I might go with this in the interim, as I don't want to buy another conventional battery. I'll get them to prep it for me and I recall that I'll have to charge it. But ultimately, I think the AGM one would be ideal.

I'm still reasonably confident that this is a battery issue and not a charging system one.

TC
Photo Gallery
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

TC
I too own/ride a '73 TX. My riding habits are a lot like yours.....infrequent and ordinarily only for short jaunts. The battery I'm using is a wet cell maintenance required type unit. It has been in use for 3 seasons now. Here in the Great White North the scooter sits for the entire winter in an inactive state. Granted my shop is heated therefore kept above freezing which helps. This spring I charged the battery for a short period of time and it has been working fine since. While equipped with an electric starter (which I find a bit lazy at best!) I kick my scooter to life. And apparently unlike yours, my headlight is on a separate handlebar switch on the left side contained in the same housing where the hi/low beam selector switch, horn button and turn signal switch are located. The headlight doesn't come on with the ignition switch. I believe my set up to be "stock". I realize I haven't solved your dilemma - or offered an explanation either. My experience over the years is to expect a battery to last about 3 years for motorcycles. In situations where a physically larger battery is in play, they seem to last longer. Could be a combination of a number of factors coming into play - frequency of use, physical size of the unit, vibration, heat among others. If it was mine to do, I'd hike out the old unit for a replacement of your choice. No experience to share with AGM batteries so not able to assess the value based on years of service versus cost......... Best wishes and ride safely....................Wes
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

My experience with lead/acid batteries in bikes (and cars) is that they last at least 5 years. However, that lifespan is with normal operation. Running your bike mostly at idle for tuning without enough runs on the open road is likely what killed the battery.

If you measure over 14 volts on the highway then your charging system is working fine.

You can reduce the electrical load by using a 40 watt (halogen) low beam instead of a 55 watt low beam, and use an LED taillight. Last but not least, just get out and drive the bike more often.

One other thing, don't leave your battery in the bike over winter where temperatures go down below freezing. Always take battery inside to a warm area, and give it an occasional low charge (less than 2 amps).

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Quote::
Running your bike mostly at idle for tuning without enough runs on the open road is likely what killed the battery.

If you measure over 14 volts on the highway then your charging system is working fine.

Wes and RG, thank you both, as well.

I think I'm guilty as charged (sorry for the pun Rolling Eyes ) with respect to the way I have been using the battery. But I think the bike is not to the point where I can get out and ride it more.

RG, my voltmeter easily tips 14 volts at speed, and the needle really snaps up there when I crack the throttle. The feeler gauge test worked, also, when I tried that a couple months ago, before I put the voltmeter on. But does your needle vibrate a lot? Mine does. Maybe it's because the mechanical unit is subject to that.

TC

Last edited by TeeCat on September 4, 2009, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 14, 2009, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Recently I had my seat up while the bike was idling. Man, does that battery get shook around. I think vibration is a big factor here.

5twins, all of what you said is interesting, but you know, I have never noticed that. But it has to be a factor. I have a battery retaining strap that I got from Mike's last year and still need to put it on. That might help some.

TC
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Teecat, You've checked the water level? Heat and overcharging are as big problems as the cold.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Well, I didn't this morning, as it was dark and I just hopped on the Ninja 250R. I think I last checked it earlier this summer, though. I could easily be guilty of overcharging, though I have one of the little chargers that has a yellow and green light and is supposed to go into "maintenance" mode when the battery is charged, so I was of the impression that it'd be difficult to overcharge. Essentially, though, I don't trust the battery now.

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 14, 2009, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
benztech

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

excessive vibration does the most harm to a lead-acid battery. even with my battery strapped down the thing would still shake back and forth. I wedged fuel line inbetween the battery and box, no I get hardly any vibrations.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

TeeCat;
No, my voltmeter needle does not vibrate. I suspect different manufacturers use different amounts of dampning or none at all. My meter is just a cheap one I got at Walmart, but it works great and I'm quite happy with it.

My battery only has a piece of rubber on the bottom of the battery box. I have nothing on the sides of the battery, but now you guys got me thinking Idea . I'm going to put some foam padding around the sides of the battery.

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Guys, I got a battery locally from my motorcycle place that cross references to the OEM one, but the terminals are reversed left to right; the positive is on the right on this battery. If the cables are not long enough to reach, what can I do in that situation?

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 14, 2009, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

If it was me I would rummage around in my junk box of take off that I have saved for an old battery cable. Since I've replace both positives and the ground I'd be willing to bet I could get a nut,short bolt,washers and make a short extension. Tape up or heat shrink the connection.
If you don't have that couldn't you get some heavy wire, crimp-on solder eyelet connectors and do basically the same thing? Or you could take the wrong one back, wait a few days and ride the baby rice rocket? Wink
BTW my friend, Congrats on 1k posts.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Well, I have gotten as much as 4 years out of a battery. I think the main factors are to keep the water level up and to replace the crude mechanical regulator on the earlier models with a solid state regulator.

It also helps to keep your engine in tune so it starts on the first revolution of the crank. Having the starter motor grind away is very hard on the battery.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

I thought the battery was correct, so I'm stuck with it. I swapped the battery front to rear and got it to fit, but now one of the rubber seat stops contacts the positive cable end at the battery.

I might just order the one from Mike's and eat the cost of my mistake. It's kind of like paying money to relieve the aggravation caused by such a seemingly simple thing. Sad

TC
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

TeeCat wrote:
Pete, I'm reluctant to do a manual switch for the headlight. Not knowing how is not really the issue... I'd be willing to learn; it's introducing the possibility (certainty) that I could forget to turn it on, or off. :( TC

aybe just disconnect your headlight (to reduce current draw) while you're going through these testing woes. Or if the bike has a separate lighting circuit just pull the fuse.

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

bluebikerblan wrote:
TeeCat wrote:
Pete, I'm reluctant to do a manual switch for the headlight. Not knowing how is not really the issue... I'd be willing to learn; it's introducing the possibility (certainty) that I could forget to turn it on, or off. Sad TC

aybe just disconnect your headlight (to reduce current draw) while you're going through these testing woes. Or if the bike has a separate lighting circuit just pull the fuse.

Well, blue... sadly, that's not a factor at this point because I can't get a battery hooked up at all at the moment. The local dealer had TWO different batteries that were referenced as direct replacements for the OEM unit. BOTH have the posts reversed and are incorrect.

I can't really find a practical way to lengthen the cables, so it looks like I'll be ordering from Mike's and waiting, all the while hoping that the battery is the problem, since my voltmeter said the bike is charging.

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 14, 2009, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Average battery life?

twins, it did. A PO evidently wired it to stay on. I suppose I have no rabid objection to doing that... eventually. But my immediate issue is to try to figure out how to safely and easily extend my cables to avoid wasting a battery that I'm now stuck with. The only other alternative is to order a correct one from Mike's and eat the cost of the one that's wrong, but there goes the weekend...

Either way... bike no workie.

I'd be willing to bet I could get a nut,short bolt,washers and make a short extension. Tape up or heat shrink the connection.

Would this be safe? Could the extensions "cross" each other if they're insulated? Would I lose voltage/amps?

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3