650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Tach cable repalcement...

Tach cable repalcement...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Tach cable repalcement...

I'm about to replace my tach cable with a nice clean new one. Since the lower fitting comes into contact with oil, I imagine, should I put any thread sealer on it?

Also, can I just use motor oil to pre-lube the cable as in other cables?

Thanks -

TC
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

The tach drive has an oil seal and an "O" ring to stop oil leakage, so no thread sealant needed.
www.biker.net/78_650se...0main.html

Some guys use motor oil, but I use a little graphite lubricant meant for door locks called "Lock-Ease"..................comes down to personal preference.

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

OH... I do recall reading that before... thanks, RG. I had a heck of a time finding Lock-Ease around here, but found something similar in a spray with one of the little red plastic tubes. I'll see if I can get a bit of that in there.

TC
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

Something to watch out for. Don't withdraw the tach drive shaft from the casing. If you do, the shim washer at the bottom end will fall into the engine bottom. The shaft will then have a lot of excess free play and may stop driving the cable.
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

Remember that washer i found in my sump and asked you about it? That may have been a PO's mistake that I don't care to repeat. But the current cable does work... it's just discolored and unattractive.

So, looking at the drawing, if I just remove the cable itself, am I in any danger of removing the drive shaft from the casing? I would think I'd be safe.

TC
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

As long as you don't remove the screw from the engine casing, you can't withdraw the drive shaft.

tach drive mod1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.77 KB
 Viewed:  538 Time(s)

tach drive mod1.jpg

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

AAAAAAAAAH! That's what I was thinking from looking at the pic. Thanks to you, I shall proceed, unafraid! Razz

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

RG... the threaded adapter came out with the cable's threaded cap that mates to it... they're kind of fused together. Any suggestions on how to get the adapter out without breaking it or damaging the threads? And once I do that, do I thread the adapter in first as far as I can?

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

Got it loose. I'm just not sure how tight the adapter needs to be against the o-ring... I'm gonna wing it and not kill it tight. Hard to turn that adapter anyway, as it's a tight space in there.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

Okay... got the cable installed, and made the knurled fittings finger tight, with the lower one seated all the way against the flange on the case cover, as far as I can tell. Hope it works and doesn't leak!

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

Workee. No leaks as yet after idling and a few revs... fingers crossed!

She has all nice new cables now.

Thanks, RG!

TC
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

The tightness of the threaded adapter is not important, just snug is fine. The oil seal and the "o" ring is what prevents oil leakage. Glad it worked out for you.

Now you got me thinking about my tach cable...............it looks worn and tired but works fine.

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tach cable repalcement...

RG, thanks for all your help once again. I was just concerned about the adapter being far enough down in there because it was hard to get in there to turn it. But the knurled part of the cable end meets flush with the case collar, so I think it's fine.

Incidentally... I find myself looking at my voltage regulator frequently and am glad it's there!

y tach cable worked fine, but the casing was yellowed and unattractive, and it was the only cable on the bike that I had not yet replaced, so now they're all fresh.

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1