650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Will only run with a battery charger on it

Will only run with a battery charger on it
    Forum Index -> Electrical
82yamsp650

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Will only run with a battery charger on it

ok so i just got an 82 yamaha 650 special and when i went to pick it up the only way the guy got it to start is to connect a batter charger to the positive side of the batter and the negative side to the back spring bolt and then it started right up but when he took the charger off the bike died, i know that the batter is dead but is there anything else i am gonna need to change, i am very new to motocycles but i love to work and just about any type of motor lol so any ideas????
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

82yamsp650,

You could start by measuring the rotor slip ring resistance and check the condition of your brushes.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

G'day mate, welcome to the site!

Lots of posts here on the charging system, these bikes do have some issues with electrics!

First things first, if the battery is shagged, then the bike wont run, as you've seen. So it might be as simple as replacing the battery.....
You can always hope!

Brushes, regulators & rectifiers are known trouble spots, also bad/coroded connections.

Plenty of info on these items in the vault & the electrical sections.

So get yourself a new battery, and a multimeter if you haven't got one already (because you will need one) and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

82yamsp650

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

ok so yeah i got a new batter and it fired right up Smile runs and rides awsome(not bad for a 300 dollar bike) and at first i had no electronics, the speedo and the tach worked but none of the lights blinkers or horn worked, and when i was riding it today i noticed that the head light started to work, but still no blinkers or horn so any ideas????
xsleo

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

I would check the fuse box. After all these years they are pretty much crap. Replace with inline fuse holders, I like the blade type fuses, not the glass tube type.
After that I would do as Pamcopete and Yamaman suggested as well as check every connection from one end to the other. Clean them, ad a dab of dielectric grease to keep them clean. Do this to the switches too.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
82yamsp650

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

ok so i got the new battery and i put inline fuzes and got rid of the round fuzes and after going threw most of the wireing and replacing some wireing i got the headlight to work a the left turn signal to work but there is this black relay(i think thats what it is) that is under the gas tank by the blinker relay that when it is plugged in it blows a fuze but when i unhook it the fuze is fine, i have looked threw all teh wireing and i cant seem to find anywhere where it is grounding out so anyone know what that plug is i can take a picture if it if need be
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

The black unit is the "self cancelling unit". You can just disconnect it. Its safer to not use that item. I disconnected the one on my bike. Its not very precise, and it will cancel your turn signals while you're still entering an intersection. Much safer to cancel your signals yourself.
82yamsp650

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

so then i am guessing that my right side turn signals are just not grouding out then......
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

After disconnecting the the self canceling unit, try the right turn signal switch. If a fuse blows, then start looking for a ground on the right side lights/wiring.

If the right side signals don't flash, check these things:

Bulbs need to be the correct wattage........#1156 bulb which is 27 watts

Check the bulb sockets for dirt, green corrosion etc, that causes high resistance. The bulb bases can have corrosion causing poor conducting path.

Check that the signal support arms are grounded. You should see a black wire going to each arm. Confirm with an ohmmeter that each bulb socket is in fact grounded.

The turn signal switch is working for the left, but it may have corrosion on the right contact, making high resistance. Clean the contacts.

Remember also, turn signals won't flash if you only have 12.5 volts or less across the battery. They need to have 13.5 volts or better to flash reliably. On bikes with weak charging systems, signals may not flash at 1200 RPM idle speed.

82yamsp650

PostPosted: September 2, 2009, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

ok well the left works just fine riding down the road and about 2000rpms and then i try the right and i get nothing when the ignition is on without the motor running i listen to the relay for the blinkers and when i push the rright blinker i hear a very faint click and then it stops so i am guessing something isnt grounded out right but all the other lights work so at the moment i am gonna try to figure out to get the 440 to get it registered and the title in my name......
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2009, 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

The turn signals are a very simple system. Perform the steps I listed in my last post and your signals will work.
82yamsp650

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

turns out my 82 is a 78, now how the hell do i change my screen name lol
xsleo

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

I think the only way is to delete your current membership and start a new one.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
82yamsp650

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

so does anyone know what typpe of gas mileage i should get?
xsleo

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Will only run with a battery charger on it

Depending on your right hand 45 to 60 mpg.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1