650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Dad's softail, drop seat bobber
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Some of you may remember that my Pop and I picked up a truckload full of XS stuff a couple of months ago. I saved the '75 from being chopped up (and will restore it soon), but Dad did keep the titled frame, among other stuff.
He's been working on it like a man possessed. Usually, we do our projects together. My work schedule has been insane this year, so when I stopped by today to see what he's been up to, I was blown away. This is gonna be one cool ride.
Almost immediately, he starting hacking on the frame.

The first attempt at the rear loop didn't turn out too well. It was too low and would've interfered with the rear tire/fender.

He did gusset the front down tubes...
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

This is the second attempt at the seat/frame loop. Looks much better, IMO.

And here's the pattern for the seat pan. Plans call for a thinly padded leather seat.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Some of the elctronics and the battery will be mounted underneath the seat.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

The shocks will be leaned forward; most likely stock length. Here, you can also see the plans for the paint/polish detail on the wheels.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

I found this sweet Wassell style, deep tunnel tank on ebay for him. It's really cool and came with that nifty paint job. It had been in storage for over 25 years. We polished it up and buffed it out and will use it just like this. Well, maybe a few thin pinstripe accents in gold or brown or something.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

If you look closely at the neck, you can see how the coil will be mounted.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

An overall view, so far...
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

I'm not so sure about the rear fender. Think it might be too wide for the thinner, 18" shouldered wheels?
We picked up a rear fender from a Husqvarna dirt bike that's thinner, but Dad likes this one so far. It he runs it, plans are to wrap it with a strip of matching seat leather running down the center.
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Looks good so far. I think I'd go opposite though and instead of finding a thinner fender, going with a fatter tire. I think the shocks are giving you a wide look in the back and it would look best with a fatter tire. Just my opinion though, cool either way.

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

I hafta say, the fender is just sitting on the tire in that pic. It will be lifted up a tad and bobbed forward. He's going up one size on the tire, but you just can't them quite as wide on those early rims like you can on the later 16 inch wheels.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Some updates:
The frame is done. The shock towers were adjusted, all mounting tabs fabbed and welded, a coat of primer and some fresh black paint.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Wheels all done. Polished brake hub, satin finish lips, gloss black inners and spokes.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Installed the front end and made it a roller. Here it is mocked up with the seat pan, fender, tail light, etc. The headlight and speedo are mounted, too.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Two more views....

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Who knew a Schwinn could look this cool? Wink
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

looks great man ! and some major kudos on not being a leming and using a sportster tank ! luv the tank Surprised keep up the good work Very Happy

remember every one to think outside the box . u must first pull ur head out of one . Laughing

and yes i'm still alive and workin on the bike haha
Photo Gallery
MAXIM

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

ALL I see is, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Really sweet to see a project come along and look that good, congrats. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
MAXIM

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

ALL I see is, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Really sweet to see a project come along and look that good, congrats. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
blackwidow

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Looks nice

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

It's been a while since I updated, but Dad's been slaving away at his project.
We mounted the rear fender, engine and shocks and actually put it on the ground. That's when we found out the rear wheel was rubbing the battery box AND the rear fender. Some minor surgery on the battery box and some longer "struts" for the rear fender solved that problem.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

A sneak preview of the Mukini's on angled manifolds.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

And MAN! Do I love this exhaust!
I was gonna use it on my Brat Style bike, but this build just screams for it. Dad had some extensions with a mild kick-up made. I'll get some pics of the full length system later.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

Moving the rear fender and battery box required a mild modification to the seat. He's already dropped the pan off with our leather guy. Hope to have it back soon.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's softail, drop seat bobber

To make room under the tank for all the wiring, he welded on a small piece of box tubing. To that, he added a small section of round tube to hold the 1-2 cable connector for the carbs.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2