650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Another Chopper/Bobber build

Another Chopper/Bobber build
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Another Chopper/Bobber build

So I picked up what I've been looking for for a while, and it was FREE! It's pretty rough, and about the going rate for a bike like this in this condition, but I don't care, I have the building blocks I need to start with on the bike.

The XS 650

The engine seems to be siezed at the moment, so Ayden is out helping me throw some PB in the engine. No luck so far, but I did get it to move a tick. A little more PB and I think she'll spin over.

I'm stoked to the max and have some ideas in my head on how she'll look. After seeing the guy's XS I picked it up from I may have changed my thoughts on the direction, but in the end I think I can do something sweet with it. Remember how the last one started.

And how it sits now

ore updates to come as they happen.

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Got antsy and spent an hour out in the garage tonight stripping 'er down. I should have the motor out at the very least tomorrow, and perhaps torn into.

I remember when the XJ looked like the XS, and it wasn't all that long ago!

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Well I got the motor out of the bike tonight, and that was the easy part.

Started tearing into it and all was going well until I got to the jug, and now I'm literally stuck. I tried and tried and tried and have given up for the night and am soaking the pistons in PB Blaster to let 'em sit over night and hope I can gain some ground. It's looking like sleeves and slugs for certain, we'll see what I have when I get the case split.

If anybody knows of a good XS650 engine for a decent price I may be a buyer, and this one may go on the back burner for the 750 kit after the bike is done.

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Just looks like the rings rusted to the liner. Just smack em out and overbore to 2,3,4th over and a new set of slugs. Good to go. Hopefully the crank bearings are fine which they should be.
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

I've had the air hammer on 'em along with swinging my dead blow with somebody prying up on the jugs, they're stuck pretty good. Wink

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Quarterhorse - I live in Urbandale and I've got the engine from a '75 torn down and laying on my garage floor at this very moment. It had a stuck piston that was also keeping me from removing the jug.....but I succeeded. You will need to reassemble and purchase a new piston, but maybe we can make a deal. I'll send you a PM.
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Hey I returned your PM. I'm almost positive I can get this free, just kind of looking for something turn key as this one appears to need some coin invested before it's burning fuel.

Thanks again

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

I decided I wasn't going to let this thing beat me, so I beat it, literally. My Dad stopped by and I conned him into getting involved again as I needed another set of hands, and finally after beating on it with my drilling maul, and an air hammer, I got the jug off. Only to find that this thing is JUNK.

I'm not totally bummed out, I mean it was free after all. I think I'm going to go ahead and tear it all the way down, get an empty case, and use it for mock up. So I start to tear it down.

Every clutch and steel and just covered in rust/junk as this thing sat with no oil in the crank case at all. Talk about NASTY.

I'm at a stopping point for the night, I figure tomorrow if all goes half way decent I'll have the cases split and everything out. Now I'm really in the market for a running 650 motor.

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Wow... thats a disaster.

I would say yes to finding a runner. Im rebuilding my engine and the crank bearings alone are 400 bux.

I guess 30 years old means 30 years old.

QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Whoa ho ho! 400 bones just for crank bearings!? Are they gold plated or what!? Haha yeah I think I have a few leads on a runner.

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

I should have known this thing was going to fight me all the way 'till the bitter end. Finally, after my Dad (poor guy) stopped by again I utilized his hands to help hold stuff solid while I beat and beat and beat and I got this thing apart. I have to laugh at the insides of this paper weight, er I mean engine.

And how I feel about this experience.

I gotta get this empty case cleaned up and a few fastners to hold it all together, and I have a mocke up motor I guess.

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Well... the last picture does seem to sum up that engine quite nicely.

At least you have a light weight mock up engine? Smile

Odd the cam chain didnt rust.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

I don't know how far you are willing to go but there is a guy locally that's been advertising a motor on the KC craigslist. I'm guessing I'm 3 hours from you. But it is I-35 so good road..just a thought.

aybe?
kansascity.craigslist....11306.html

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be giving him a call. KC isn't that bad of a trip at all.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

If you come let me know. The seller regularly has bikes for sale on CL. Vintage stuff usually in good shape. He has listed it a couple of times so maybe the price might go lower....???

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Will do, I'm going to call him later this evening with an offer.

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

It's not very good, but nothing that can't be fixed. Trannys and cranks can be bought to replace the bad parts. Boring and pistons happen everyday.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

It's not above me at all, but cost of repair versus replacment is something to think about.

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

QuarterHorse wrote:
It's not above me at all, but cost of repair versus replacment is something to think about.

Depends, I think there are two options.

A: Repair depends on how far you want to go. I am replacing everything I can replace and I think the parts total will be close to 1000.00. My belief is that the engine is 30 years old and may or may not have been rebuilt. Considering the cam chain is completely worn out I think the later.

B: Replace is cheaper as a whole IF the engine has been in use and checks out. Sounds like 160 psi a hole is a good start.

Budget is always the deciding factor.

QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Budget is the ultimate factor. Like I said, I'm more than capable of doing a complete rebuild. It's the mighty dollar that rules most of my decisions on this one.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Another not far east of KC.
kansascity.craigslist....31848.html

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Thanks for keeping an eye out. I haven't called the first one you posted yet. I'm going to wait 'till after next weekend I do believe as we're going to a motorcycle rally for the weekend with my XJ bobber and I don't want to spend too much before I go.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Not a problem. I watch craigslist anyway. If you are going to Davenport I'll betcha jayel will be there.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
QuarterHorse

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Chopper/Bobber build

Going to Conesville, Iowa for Thunder in the Sand. It's a fun time if you like dirty biker stuff, drag racing, drinking, or all of the above haha. I get to step out of my normal adult life and let loose at these things, so I try to go.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2