650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Charging is to strong.

Charging is to strong.
    Forum Index -> Electrical
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Charging is to strong.

Well my coil and ignition system blew last week and since I was having a weak charging system issue I decided to re wire the whole thing while I was waiting for parts to come in. I decided the best course was to replace all original plugs with new ones. Well the parts came in for the ignition and I got the bike running, but now I over charge to 16 volts or more. Its like the regulator isnt working properly. I used Pamcos guide with the solid state regulator from napa. My question is, if I have the two positive leads going to the regulator swapped accidentally would this cause over charging?

Thanks.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Alright, I do not have the wires crossed. I just check. What else would cause the system to over charge?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

Well, if you used the Chrysler regulator, then swapping the two conneciotns would probably fry the regulator in such a way that if you then reconnected it correctly, it would be to late and the regulator would put out a solid ground to the rotor which would cause a maximum output from the alternator.

Whatever the problem is, do not let the battery voltage go beyond 15 volts while you are trouble shooting or you will probablt fry the PAMCO which has a protective diode that kicks in when the voltage gets to 16.3 volts.

The good news is that the regulator should have a one yaer warranty on it so return it and get a new one.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

We must have been typing at the same time.

I guess that I'm not sure what you mean by the two positive leads to the regulator. One of the leads goes to the ignition switch and the other one goes to the green wire brush. The other brush has battery connected to it.

The case of the regulator must be grounded to the frame. The batteyr box is not a ground, if that is where you have mounted it.

Last edited by pamcopete on August 21, 2009, 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Thanks pamco. I never did cross the wires, I just thought I might have. Is there any way to test the regulator with a volt meter? I do have a .3 volt drop over the switch leg, I'm assuming that is acceptable.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts,

Read my previous...I think we are typing at the same time...

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Again typing at the same time I'm sure... But I have the vr291, the two positives are yellow and orange that I am talking about. Green going to the brush. I have a 79 motor. If the regulator isn't grounded would it push full voltage to the generator?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts,

OK. I though you had the VR295.

Yes, it is possible that the regulator would provide full voltage on the green wire if it is not grounded, but the VR291 does not have to have its case grounded. it has a black wire that does have to be grounded, however.

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Well for some reason I put all the blacks coming from that harness together because the black coming from the generator has continuity to ground. I will run a ground wire to those blacks and see what happens.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

I just grounded it but I'm still getting 16+ volts at the battery.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Also, I unplugged the regulator and its not charging at all so I assume that the regulator isn't cutting off voltage for some reason.

But what I don't understand is that it was working ok before I rewired it, and I used the old harness as a guide so it should be a replica with new connectors.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

Well, check your connecitons and the plug / connector with the attitude that there is something wrong.

When you say that it was working, do you mean with the VR291?

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Will do, I am going to do a continuity check across the hole harness. I've already called a local autoparts store to order another regulator. Advanced Autoparts has it for $19.99. Good deal! Last time I bought it from napa and it was $29.99.

Thanks for your help Pamco, I owe you another beer.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

After checking the connectors everything came out fine. The only thing that doesn't make a whole lot of since to me is that the + brush shows continuity to ground.

I guess it kind of makes some since because on the other side of the brush circuit would still be connected to ground, but it still doesn't set right for some reason.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

Well, you should be able to return the regulator where you bought it under warranty.

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

I've lost the receipt for it, and last time it took Napa a week to get the part in. I would just rather pay the $20 and have it tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion though.

After the short talk we have had, do you believe its the regulator too? I mean I know power is passing threw it and going to the brushes because if I pull the regulator plug I do not charge at all. So I would say that the regulator is failing to regulator the power. lol.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

Well, that's what it seems to be, but keep your receipt just in case!! LOL

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Hey Pamco, advanced auto parts has a discrepancy in part numbers, I ordered VR291, the lady at the counter order R291 for me, which isnt the correct part at all. The R291 goes inside the alternator, has 2 female connectors at one end of a square shaped casing. After messing with them for over and hour we found out part VR291 crosses to there part number R292. I was wondering if you heard about this, or if I am getting the wrong part again.

shop.advanceautoparts....P60003____

I took that part number and added a couple vehicles from your list of vehicles that this part fits and they all show that "This Part will fit." So I assume its the correct one. My only worry is that it might be the one for the 80 - 84 model xs650.

Thanks, Cory
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts454,

Well, I crossed a couple of the vehicles on the list and that's the part number that comes up, so must be OK. Keep your receipt and the plug!

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

Hey pamco, with all of your talents in the field of electronics, why haven't you designed a voltage regulator alternative for the xs? Kind of like the rectifier? I guess I really dont understand the whole concept of the charging system, but it seems that any voltage regulator that doesn't allow voltage over 14.5 would work....
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 23, 2009, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging is to strong.

cpotts,

Well, mainly because I couldn't build one for $13.95, which is the price for the Chrysler regulator VR295.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1