650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > My current project...

My current project...
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Teebs

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 2:30 am    Post subject: My current project...

Is it a chopper or is it a bobber? You can decide for yourself, but I have to call it a chopper.

It's a '79 basket-case that I picked up for 200 bucks and an interesting trip to MA. There were no pics on CL, so when the guy said basket-case I was expecting a basket. Ummm... no basket.

What I bought was a frame with front end, and swingarm with the shocks and rear wheel attached, and the motor still in it.
I also got the front wheel without so much as a bearing in it (well the rotor was still on it), and a work boot box with disassembled and thrashed 38s and the coils in it. The diaphragms are both torn... sweet.

No handlebars, electrics, cables, tins, nothing. I have two more but I have plans for them so I've resisted the urge to scavenge. eBay and local swapping have helped some and some creative adaptation will provide the rest. This site is an invaluable resource when building, and a lot of what can be found here can be adapted to other bikes as well.

I'm taking my time on it, probably will ride it for the first time with snow on the ground. All the design and fab work are mine. I am leaving the welding to my brother since I've developed enough shake in my hands from arthritis that my welds look like Silly String... FUGLY and embarrassing. So, I do everything right up to tack-welding and then have my brother finish up. He's the bawlz.

4" swingarm stretch, not happy with the tank so there will be some modification done to that. removed those ugly stock neck gussets and replaced them with heavier, though smaller ones. I used 1 and 1/8" DOM for the seat rails etc and I'm fabbing my own bars. I'm also using a monoshock setup that I'll be finishing up over the next few days.. hopefully.

frame_complete005_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.62 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

frame_complete005_resized.jpg

frame_complete004_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.09 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

frame_complete004_resized.jpg

frame_complete003_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.97 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

frame_complete003_resized.jpg

whitexk

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

you might have a problem with the swing arm support,you might want to check if your chain clears your swingarm. mine didn't just letting you know
Teebs

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

Thanks for the advice. I've been enjoying watching your build.

I still haven't gotten around to finishing the mounts. Other life stuff taking priority, but I'll be able to get to it this week. I've been aware of the chain issue, and I'm just going to make the mounts, tack em up, try the chain, and if it's all good, finish welding. I'm not in any rush, so if I need to rework it a few hundred times, no problem there. lol
Schmithouse

PostPosted: September 12, 2009, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

Thats badass, I look forward to seeing more
baclay9

PostPosted: September 12, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

Looks sweet man! I'm anxious to see more.

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

thanks guys! Not much progress of late. I'm siding my parent's house at the moment, and my brother had surgery on his elbow, so I will be helping him with next year's firewood when the siding is done. I'll update as soon as I get back to work on it.
toe.

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

teebs, hows this going?
Teebs

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

Hi, toe. Thanks for the interest.

I've been crazy busy helping my brother for the past couple of weeks, and before that I was siding my parent's house. Family first, so I haven't touched it in about 2 months.

I keep saying I'm going to get back to it, and it finally looks like I'm going to have some time to actually carry it through. So, I'll be doing the seat and monoshock over the next week or two.

How is your project coming along?
toe.

PostPosted: October 25, 2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

ran into some personal issues.
havent done anything interesting on it in a while. mostly making tab for mounting. it looks pretty much the same as last month.
i have some not terrible interesting production shots and questions. think ill pop over to my thread for a bit Smile
Dirka

PostPosted: November 23, 2009, 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

yo teebs hows the bike coming?
toe.

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

im totally stalking your build!
Teebs

PostPosted: December 9, 2009, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

Hey guys, very sorry that there isn't any progress going on right now. In fact I haven't been home or logged on here or TCU for over a month. The worst part is that the whole bike is sitting in the shop just waiting to be built. I just need to find time to get back to it. New England winters force too many other things to take priority. I'll be back on it soon, and will try to keep checking in on your builds as well.

Dirka and toe, I hope all is going well with your builds, I'll check on your pages tomorrow to see what is up.
danxs650mass

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

looks good so far i know what you mean with the cold weather here im a little north of bosrton and it gets cold out in the shop at nite what part of new england are you in
toe.

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

as an albany person i totally get the weather suckage.
take your time. dont rush just cause i say ...
"are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet? are you done yet?"

would rather it be slow, cool, mean and right.
we can totally wait.
also im pretty sure my 6 week project is currently entering month 4.
blackwidow

PostPosted: December 11, 2009, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My current project...

The bike looks good I can't wait to see what you do with it. On the whole chopper bobber thing I know the difference but to me a chopper is raked out and a bobber is not thats just my opinion.

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: My current project...

going well, a little slow, but i am making headway.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1