650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Tearing down my 77

Tearing down my 77
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Yes it's the master cylinder from mikes. Should I be worried? From where was it leaking?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
benztech

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I was asking your opinion. My stock one is leaking.. and for the 75' a rebuilt kit is next to impossible to find. i'm in the market for a new master cylinder.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 27, 2009, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

$69 bucks from mikes. kits to rebuild $54 plus couldn't see where to find a new reservoir.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
klink

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Following closely. Great write up.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

So after much head banging and scratching, cussing and sweating, lots of squinting, it is alive and everything even WORKS!

A few snafus as I had both front and one rear signal blinking all at the same time. Amazing how dark green and black look alike.....even with good light.
So headlight birds nest is complete and new trim ring to boot. The old one was a little rough.

For me this has been the hardest thing so far.Wasn't sure I was up to it ..

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Getting closer. A few bumps in the road but moving forward.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

pumps... you're one of my heroes! Smile She's gonna be a looker! Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

More. New fender and speedo cable. A technical comment. The clamp bracket that held the old lower brake line near the caliper and bolted on along with the right side fender mount bolts can't be used with mikes new chrome fender. Mikes fender is supposed to act as a fork brace also and the mount/brace design being different interferes with the bracket mounting. I left it off and in retrospect I think I would have gone with a one piece brake line instead of an upper and lower two piece ss line if I had been smarter. Live and learn. Laughing

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Still have to bleed the front brake, can't seem to get any pressure to build up. Sorted my fuel line issues with some 90 degree fuel filters suggested by RG. Put the right mirror back on. Swap out the lutch side perch and put on the new black lever.Runs ok for not having been run since...the end of July?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pump's, first off, lookin' good! Second, what I had to do for pressure to build was pump the master cyl. first, without the line on, holding my thumb over the hole until I got a pretty good blast of pressure from it.DO NOT get brake fluid on ANY painted surface. It will take the paint off!Then I attached the line's(both),and held the banjo fitting between my thumb & forefinger.Then attach the line to the caliper,& pump away until you get a feeling the fluid is starting to fill the caliper. Then start bleeding the caliper, building up pressure after each time you open & close the bleeder.So, bleed line's & master as stated.Then caliper. Build pressure after bleeding air from caliper. Voila, bled brake's, firm, solid brake.
Or, get a new pump style oilcan,& reverse bleed the system.Pump brake fluid from the oilcan through the system backwards.In any case, make sure you do not run the master empty, or you'll have to start over.
You have done a great job on your sickle, wouldn't want to see it damaged in any way.
OBTW, what is that thing on the side-stand? Can't find it under the foot peg? Very Happy Cool

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

I'll give your advice a try when I get home Thursday morning.
As far as what's on the side stand, it is a short piece of pvc conduit. Last fall I ruptured a disc in my back at work lifting a heavy patient and for quite a while the motion of swinging out the sidestand was very painful. Something about the positioning of my leg, I almost couldn't do it. . I don't notice the pain as much after time but have left that little piece of pvc on there. PLUS I have really short legs! When I did the fork , I slid the tubes up almost to the bars and I can tell a difference.
Thanks for the compliment . It looks ok in the pictures but it still needs a whole bunch of work, mechanically and cosmetically, but it IS coming along slowly.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pump's, I like where you put the tool bag.Perfect spot for it instead of hiding those new gaiter's.Yes, I see the difference from the front wheel to the rear.The cold& white stuff is coming, so that's when I plan on doing the cosmetic's on mine.Probably you too. I'm a mechanic, full time now & at heart, so I got mine to be reliable first, then the lipstick & rouge.I'm only 5'8" myself, but my leg's are not real short. I have both feet on the ground at stoplight's. I'm thinking about going the stock color, black, on mine. My wheel's & chrome is in 'restorable' shape. No pitting, very minimal rust considering she sat outside,uncovered for 3 year's, near the ocean.Last winter I did all the suspension mods, cleaned up the electrical system & such. If I can't ride 'er, I'll work on 'er. 'Nuff said.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pumps,

Well, everybody has their favorite brake bleeding method. Mine is:

1. Install everything and add brake fluid to the MC.
2. Use the "conventional" bleeding method to get the fluid in the hoses and caliper.
3. Remove the caliper.
4. Remove the cover on the MC.
5. Hold the caliper with the piston facing the floor.
6. Squeeze the caliper piston in, slowly.
7. Observe air bubbles coming into the MC reservoir.
8. Squeeze the brake lever to move the piston out.
9. Repeat steps 6 to 8 til your arms fall off.

ost people think that the caliper piston will hurl across the room and embed itself in the wall if you squeeze the brake lever with the caliper removed, but, not so. In fact you can squeeze the brake lever a couple of times and extend the piston out for each cycle of the procedure.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Gordo- I bought that tool bag for $10 at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I like it on the back too, used black zipties thru holes I poked in it to secure it.
Pete I'll give it a try. Might be Friday though as tomorrow it looks like I have to go make money for more PARTS! Shocked

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 30, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

pumps wrote:

Pete I'll give it a try. Might be Friday though as tomorrow it looks like I have to go make money for more PARTS! Shocked

Well, at least you've got your priorities straight!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Brake is bled. Loosened banjos until a small amount of fluid was expelled. Tightened and pumped slowly but steadily for a really long time...like a million pumps. Bubbles would come up and out. Since I had installed a speed bleeder I left it cracked. Also I put a small length of oxygen tubing that I brought home from work. The end that normally connects onto an oxygen bottle is flared and fits nicely onto the bleeder. Put the tubing into a clear drink cup and pumped until no more bubbles were visible. Had to refill a few times. Finally no more bubbles. Close bleeder. I have a brake.
I felt like I was under some pressure to get this complete enough to ride as there is an annual local rally/show that I wanted to attend last Saturday about 35 miles away. Strapped my tool kit on and took off. Everything working....until about halfway there I noticed my speedo had quit working. I looked down and noticed the new cable hanging down. Pull over, re-attach it to the speedo (must have forgotten to tighten it down) and again I'm going. Spent about 3 hours looking at bikes at the show.
s135.photobucket.com/a...ayne%2009/

Almost home I notice my speedo dial is REALLY vibrating. It was a little loose I knew but finally the screws fell out and the faceplate spun! So I remembered what I had read on here. I removed it and was able to carefully pry the bezel out enough to get the unit out of the cover. Screws dropped out and caught them. Loctited the screws, wipe the glass and face. Put it back together and I think it will be just fine . So only two small issues on my shake down cruise. Can't decide what to do next. Save some parts money probably!
All of this stuff I learned from you guys. Thanks!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Some small stuff. I'm a bit parts cash poor right now so but spray paint is cheap. Here I am giving the shocks a face lift. See the left and see the right I have done.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Great work Pump's! Not a bad day, two little nitche's, but a very good day all in all. You got some really nice pics at the show. Yea, my tach did that on a ride up to the second store we got. I undid the cable up at the tach 'till I got home. I used Crazy Glue to hold the tiny screw's in. So far, so good. Funny thing, speedo cable falling off. Glad you noticed it right away. That happened to me,too. Thought I could make it about a mile home, but had to pull over 'cause the cable was coming out of the sheath. Caught it just in time, cleaned the dirt off & reinstalled.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Once in a while you actually GET what you want for your birthday. Even if it something no one else understands...dumb old motorcycle parts. I wanted shorter shocks so I can be more flat footed and of course a better ride.. These are the #06-3608 ones from MikesXS. 11.5 inches eye to eye.

New one on the right. Duh.

Gonna have to pull the other side off to get this one on....it just won't quite reach huh? Maybe when I get home in a couple of days.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Pumps, are they both the same length? I also purchased the longer version of those shock's from Mike's, and did not have any problem's mounting them. They both went right on, with a little help from some silicone spray on the bushing's.
If they measure out the same, check the swingarm for a bent arm.Or bad swingarm bushing's.
New one's after getting the old one's all nice & shiny. Oh well, just a little more practice at polishing & painting.
Got a little rust in that chain,too. A good bath in kero, then a proper lube should take care of that.

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

The new ones ARE shorter. I just have to get the other side old one off to get the swing arm up. They'll go on fine. Chain will be getting replaced with new sprockets this winter I think.. Going to go to a more highway friendly set up.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Continuing this saga...I decided I would remove the rear wheel and take it to work with me to polish on during my free time.

Since the wheel was off I decide I should inspect the swing arm bushings as I have no idea if they have been changed from the oems ones. And guess what? They are the oem ones. I had checked for side to side play and never noticed any but still this will have to be done. Reminds me of how this thread starts with the ball bearings in the steering head. So the pivot bolt and the pivot tube are in good shape it would seem. I think I need to check for cracks at the threaded part? The grease seals are old and cracked and will need replaced.I'll know more when I get them cleaned up really well. I was kind of hopeful that this had been done , you know, grease it and put it back together ...but you know how it is. One thing I did learn was how to use the macro setting on the camera (by accident!) which is how I was able to get these close ups of the old bushing.

I'll figure out how to get these old POS out tomorrow. I've kinda chipped at this first one.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Laughing Pumps, way to go!
When I removed mine, I used a long 1/2" drive extension bar & tapped the bushes out from the inside. They came out good enough to use again!

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tearing down my 77

Is there two pieces in there? Seems like there is something metal , the same thickness, just beyond the fiber bushing?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5