650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
islanddave

PostPosted: July 4, 2009, 10:33 am    Post subject: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Hello All,

I just installed Mikes new performance headers along with the newly designed megaphone mufflers and I am very happy with both. The sound of the new megaphones is very very nice. I would say that volume wise they are about 7.5 to 8 out of ten meaning that they are quite loud. They give a great bark upon acceleration. I will try to post some video as a video is something that would have helped me alot when I was wondering what systems I would want to buy.

Dave
woodman

PostPosted: July 4, 2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Any problems fitting them ?
islanddave

PostPosted: July 4, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

i think problem would be too strong a word..........the headpipes fit perfect, but given the fact that they are longer than stock, and that the mufflers are shorter thank stock and that I had cut off the passenger foot peg and muffler support long ago I did have to get creative about mounting the muffler. The sound is awesome!
jralex

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Dave, are the mufflers his new mechanical baffle design, as opposed to the old standard perforated baffle wrapped in fiberglass?

The reason I ask is that I have EMGO's with to standard fiberglass wrapped design and they are TOO LOUD for me.

I am wanting to see if anyone has heard both and can give me some idea of the relative loudness and sound with respect to one another.

I am thinking of purchasing Mike's baffles and trying to make them work in my 17" EMGO's.

Thanks

islanddave

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Hello,

Yes they are the new mechanical baffle design....I was gonna put a video on for everyone but I ran into electrical problems and fried my reg/rec....and and gonna be re-doing the wiring so the video is a little ways away. The sound is very nice as far as I am concerned. Not too loud but certainly fun when blipping the throttle. Quiet on decelleration. Nice sound during idle with lots of flow. Would suggest these to anyone.Dont know if the baffles would fit your mufflers though? Worth a shot!

Dave
twinsarehot

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

pictures if no video~!

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Dave, any progress on audio?

Also, if willing, sometime when you have a baffle out Very Happy , if you could measure the od of the baffle inlet, the od of the plate at the rear that the outlet pipes mount to and the length of the baffle from the inlet to the outlet plate.

Can't seem to get Mike to respond to my request. Confused Understand if you can't get to it.

If you can, THANKS Cool

islanddave

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Here you go! This is my 78 xs 650 with mikes new reverse megaphone mufflers with the mechanical baffle.

I won't win any oscars with this video but hopefully it will be helpful to someone.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtv3Nr9oxE

Dave
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

They look suspiciously like the silencers made by Brituro here in the UK for £70 a pair... Do you get a 'popping' sound on the overrun ?
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

no popping
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

islanddave, Those sound really good, and hella nice looking bike so far. Digging the whitewall on the back.

I want pictures of all the electrical under the seat. That caught my eye, looks interesting.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 11, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Daaayum I like that sound.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Dave, thanks for the video. It is hard to tell if they would be any quieter than my existing EMGO's w/ wrapped straight through baffle or not.

ike did send me dimensions for the baffles. They are:

Length is 13"

OD of plate 3 5/8"

OD of baffle inlet 2"

Mikesxs

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Our Mufflers are of our own design ( dyno developed by Jerry Heiden of Heiden Tuning, Netherlands ) and not a copy of anything else.
If you have popping on throttle roll-off , you have an exhaust leak.

Mike @ Mikes XS
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Fair enough ,not the same then, yours look like they have chrome cones anyhow, .the mufflers(silencers) Im on about have a removable alloy end cone & have a distinct warbling/popping noise on the overrun , heard them on many other bikes too not caused by leaks but something to do with the internal design ... If yours dont have this noise then Id be intrested in buying a pair because the Brituro sound was annoying!
Do you have baffles in your mufflers?
Heres ones weve had over here for donkeys years, the end cone's been polished here ;

silen4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.86 KB
 Viewed:  513 Time(s)

silen4.jpg

Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Yes these ones have a removable mechanical baffle. There is no fiberglass packing. There are three bolts that can go into each baffle to "adjust" the amount of flow. I have tried them with the bolts both in and out and can notice little appreciable difference. Of course this has been done since my charging system went south so not much testing has been done. Summer is coming to a close.......thought that I would get some riding done this year......but that's not been the case.

Dave
Mikesxs

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

See our site listing for the megaphones. A photo of the baffle we designed is listed next. Nothing else on the market is even similar and baffles for each muffler are designed from scratch ( we are working the straight style megaphone next). We once sold what others sell now but after testing and visiting the exhaust factories we realized that the baffle designs were from small bike mufflers and did not flow properly thru the RPM range of the XS650 and that straight thru types were too loud and not the answer either. Distributors worldwide buy what is available and seem to never test or question whats offered, We test and have mufflers made to OUR specs.

Mike @ Mikes Xs
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Nice one Smile
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

They do sound good, a bit loud for me. I work nights. The neighbors won't like the noise at 1:00 in the morning.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
mgreaves

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Hey Dave - I sent you a PM

Cheers,

ac

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Thanks Dave and Mike. These look and sound very attractive to me and I'm going to order a set today for my current 75' B project. Best, Blue

PostPosted: August 21, 2009, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mikes xs performance pipes and new megaphone mufflers

Those are some great sounding mufflers.

'79 XS650SF

'89 Lincoln Mk VII LSC 5 speed

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1