650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > General site issues and information > > Uploading Pix, file size too big

Uploading Pix, file size too big
    Forum Index -> General site issues and information
nokitov

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 7:42 am    Post subject: Uploading Pix, file size too big

Not being a computer geek by any stretch, does anyone know if there is a way to make the file size of my pictures smaller? Mine are running 1.5 to 2.+ MB as JPG files. This is too large to upload as I get an error message, maximum allowed is 1048576 KB. I know audio files can be saved as different type files and become smaller or larger depending on the type of file.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

You can open them in your windows paint program and resize them.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

An excellent FREE program to work with photos/graphics is Irfranview.
Or they can be resized with Microsoft Photo Editor. Unless you are printing photos in a 8x10 size you could change the file size on your camera.
PM me if you would like help working through resizing.

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

I think I got it. If your brave enough check out Last additions in Gallery

Last edited by nokitov on June 26, 2009, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

looks good!
nokitov

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

Thanks Teebs
the game plan is Gold toward front half of tank, White on back half, tape in my flames and cover with Blue. Not sure about Fairing. I'm thinkin just solid Blue and gitter done. I haven't seen alot of flames on fairing that turn out as nice as tank flames.

Teebs

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

lol I've never seen flames on that type of fairing... period. Sounds great!
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

nokitov wrote:
Not being a computer geek by any stretch, does anyone know if there is a way to make the file size of my pictures smaller? Mine are running 1.5 to 2.+ MB as JPG files. This is too large to upload as I get an error message, maximum allowed is 1048576 KB. I know audio files can be saved as different type files and become smaller or larger depending on the type of file.

Image file size is determined by several factors. Among them: dimensions of the image (length x width); image format (jpg, gif, etc.); and the resolution at which the file was saved (expressed in dots per inch or number of pixels or some other way).

You grow the file size by increasing the size of the image and/or converting to a more bulky format and/or saving at a higher resolution. You reduce file size by doing the opposite. Any decent image-manipulation software allows you control over all of those factors.

If you've got a scanner, it probably came with all the software you'll need to do the chore. If you don't have a scanner, Windows and the Mac OS both come with the necessary tools. It's up to you to learn to use them. A couple of hours' tinkering should enable you to master the basics -- and for our purposes, the basics are all you need to know.
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

MS also has a free power toy called image re sizer which puts a command (option) into the context menu (right click menu) when you right click on the image you want to make smaller. Super super easy and convenient to use.

www.microsoft.com/wind...rtoys.mspx

Its a bit down and on the right hand side of the page.

nokitov

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

thank you jimmy and highspeed I'll save your ideas. I was able to shrink and upload after some tinkering yesterday. Looking forward to the day I can upload COMPLETED PROJECT. In the mean time my son has a boat that needs some TLC.
Later
nokitov

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

nokitov, Scroll down 17 of the programs on this page till you get to "Visualizer Photo Resize (free version)" Web Page Name Download.......An easy to use resizer.... To use the program, make a new folder then copy and past the photos you want to re size into that folder................ When you bring up the programs window, where it says....... "Please select the folder where you want to save your images"..............use the same folder with the images you are using from.......For 650 rider photos i put 750 where the width is indicated. The height is automatic, depending on the selected ratio from the drop down window...........In that drop down it should read,

1:1 Square
4:3 Standard.........Normal photos use this
3:2 - 3:5 mm Slide
16:9 Widescreen
2:1 Anamorphic
a very simple and effective re sizer ...............Will not change a format.

I am assuming you are using photos already on you computer, I don't know about a scanner having the necessary soft ware for resizing, my old one didn't.......... I will assume it does or jtt wouldn't have mentioned it, but if you have a printer with photo capabilities that will have either or both a re sizer and/or a format changer, My small 3 into 1 HP has a program where i can change the format but haven't found a re sizer

If you go ahead and use this and have any trouble post back or PM me
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

HP scanners (and others, too) always come with enough software for any non-professional to do just about anything a non-professional would want to do with images. Typically, you found all formatting options in the "File" menu under the "save as" option. Sometimes there's an "export" option in the "File" menu, as well.

Resizing a photo is often as simple as grabbing the corner of an image with the mouse and dragging to either shrink or grow the image to the desired size. Then "File," "save as" offers formatting options. Typically, there's options on the "Edit" menu and often on the "Tools" menu. Where you look depends entirely on what you've got, but every scanner comes with the necessary software. If the software didn't have such options, the scanner would be worthless.

Imaging professionals have an arsenal all their own, and the weapons are expensive. Your typical consumer isn't likely to plunk down $200 for a new flatbed scanner and then shuck out an additional $2,000 for a copy of Adobe Photoshop and some other imaging essentials. So scanner and printer manufacturers ship free, "lite" versions of the professional programs, which are good enough for mom and pop but are crippled in such ways that professionals have no use for them.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

I used the Power tools resizer for XP and loved it ...but of course now all my pcs have Vista and it is not compatible with Vista. I use Irfanview now as mentioned above.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

650skull , I have an HP 3-1, it came with HP's image zone. In there under editing is where I resize pics.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

Cheers. recent format on my computer, i restored a missing dill file, now i have got the HP installed i'll look for that.

I can bring up and use these non professional resizing programs very quickly.

It takes to long to open Photo shop, acquire the photos and re size and for some one who is not computer savvy, Photo shop and professional programs like these take a lot of learning
Do not dismiss these so called non professional programs as some of these are very good and can be used professionally in limited situations
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Uploading Pix, file size too big

I don't dismiss the non-professional programs. I use them myself, all the time. I can't afford "professional" versions of any software. As far as Photoshop goes, there is (or used to be) a "lite" version of Photoshop that shipped with many different scanners.

y own scanner is an HP 3400C. It came with an HP software package that did just about everything I wanted it to do. Corel Draw and Corel PhotoPaint did the rest. But my scanner no longer works because it's made for 32-bit systems and my new computer is a 64-bit machine. So I don't have a scanner at the moment.

Two days ago I went into OfficeMax. They had an HP all-in-one (printer, scanner, fax) machine in the window for $89 bucks. I liked it because it comes with all necessary software and the scanner works in both sheet-fed and a flat-bed modes. But I couldn't afford it 'cuz I'm saving money for another parts order from Mike's.

I would have had my 650 up and running this year, but my old computer took a sh*t and I had to buy a new one. The $600 I spent for that new machine is almost exactly what I'll need to spend to get my bike up. I'm still paying on the $600 and saving for the parts order so no scanner for me. I don't really NEED one right now, anyway. But I DO NEED a new Lumix DMC-FZ28 right away. Immediately. ASAP. . . .

So it goes.

Forum Index -> General site issues and information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1