650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Reality Check

Reality Check
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reality Check

Would any of you pay $3500 for this bike?

seattle.craigslist.org...37326.html

It's basically my '79 Specials doppelganger and I'd love to have it for the Old Lady -- But at that price?

Seriously -- In your estimation, what would be an honest counter offer?

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

Depends on where you live I guess,here in NY I would pay maybe $1200 for that.It does only have 4000 though
roar

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

I'd think $2500 would be pushing the top end. Low miles nice bike though.

Roar
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

Reality Check............ xsjohn

edition.cnn.com/2009/W...nnSTCVideo
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

In my area I would consider that pretty high. It is low mileage but probably has the original tires that would need replaced. Sometimes sitting can do some damage. I might give $2000 tops after a close inspection.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

For that money it should be showroom new. Not a pit in the chrome, scratch in the paint, etc. If he thinks the bike is worth $3500 he won't want an offer under $2500 and that is still too much.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

roar wrote:
I'd think $2500 would be pushing the top end. Low miles nice bike though.

Roar

I've never really put much stock in a sellers/odometers listed mileage on any bike.

The '79 SF I already own was billed as being low mileage based on the odometer -- But in talking to the seller while looking over the bike, he let slip that he'd replaced the engine a year earlier after blowing up the original.

When pressed for the provenance of the replacement, he couldn't recall the year of the bike it came out of.

It's also pretty common for owners to replace an odometer if the lens cracks, the needle breaks or the chrome is pitted.

Anyway, I'll watch this bike and see if he drops the price over the next week or so -- If not, I'll put the titled '79 SF parts bike I picked up for free back together for about $800.00

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

I don't think there's a low end or a high end. I was told long ago and I believe that it's true: "Any bike is worth whatever you can get for it."

He says he wants $3,500 for that machine. Maybe he does. Or maybe he'll take $1,500 and a camera in trade. Or maye he's so friggin hard up he'll sell it for $500 if he doesn't get any other offers. Only he knows the difference between what he says he wants and what he actually HAS TO HAVE.

It's like a poker game that way. You're looking at his two deuces and wondering if he's got a third, or maybe another pair, or what?. Fade, raise, or call: how you gonna play it? What have you got to win or to lose?

He's in the catbird seat if you tell yourself you "just gotta have" that motorcycle. You're in the catbird seat if you don't really give a sh*t and he's hard up for cash. There's no use in gripin' about it. That's just the way it is.
Barbara

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

Hi Guys,

Well, Port Angeles is a tourist trap, so maybe the owner is just trying to lure some rich urban tourists.....if there are any left these days.

I saw that bike listed on C/L and dismissed it when I saw that it was photographed in sunlight. Sun in Port Angeles? Doubt it.... Very Happy

Seriously, for that kind of money, I 'd get two or three real-world XS's, or add $1000.00 and pick up a Norton Commando. Seems a lot for an XS--a Special no less--that needs work on a side-cover and who knows what else. Not that it isn't pretty--it is. Just not $3500.00 worth of pretty, that's all.

For half that price, it would be a great buy.....probably. Wink

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
roar

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

If the owner doesn't have to sell then yes only he knows the worth.

I've been offered $2600 and $3000 for my 75 from two different guys, but to me (and no one else) my first bike that took four months to get on the road, is worth a little bit more.

All in the eye of the beholder,
Roar
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reality Check

you are talking 2-3 thousand for a special and more for a standard.......2 years ago when i first joined 650rider barn finds were still the norm and any one paying more than a grand for a bike was considered to be deranged beyond repair.........Some say its a lottery or card game, It's neither if you know what you are after and have done some research..........How many members here have bought one of these and then decided to find out if there is any information on the XS and how lucky are they, especially as they were probably tossing up between an XS and a Quacker.............I would love to be in a card game with some of these people Laughing ........we get duped most of the time because we don't take the time to buy and ignorance
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1