650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Hi Barb and other sidecar folk
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

gordonscott wrote:
Hey Jayel, why did you wait so long to share this little factoid? Laughing how long have you been hack'in?
other people had you pretty well covered, I have rode sidecars since around 1970's have had several over the years, first one was on a 58 H-D FLH, had'm on Hondas, Yams I just have to have enough bikes in the stable to dedicate one to sidecar use, like my solo bikes for longer runs

gordonscott

PostPosted: July 24, 2009, 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

I posted this under "motorcycle music" but here is a link for this thread, take a ride in the sidecar.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLYNk6DBiZo
heckienawjoe

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

dont know how to quote pics, but gordonscott if u dont mind my asking...can you give me some info about that seat?? looks awesome and im looking to get a new seat for mine. knowing you its prob custom, but i had to ask. thanks!

seat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.1 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

seat.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

heckienawjoe wrote:
dont know how to quote pics, but gordonscott if u dont mind my asking...can you give me some info about that seat?? looks awesome and im looking to get a new seat for mine. knowing you its prob custom, but i had to ask. thanks!
Hi Joe, you're right I did make it. It's made from xs gas tank and seat pan I had lying around. Can't find many pictures but was originaly made for my "80" I used spray foam and carved out shape when dry and then covered with fiberglass, I never finished it and have had it for years now Rolling Eyes

cimg0328.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.77 KB
 Viewed:  350 Time(s)

cimg0328.jpg

cimg0345.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.61 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

cimg0345.jpg

heckienawjoe

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

haha very creative! nice work man. just curious, sorry to jack the sidecar thread yall
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

sprockets and chain with lower gearing (36 tooth), big difference and much advised on sidecar outfit.

cimg4613.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.15 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

cimg4613.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

ok everyone sing along.... this is the way we wash our bike, wash our bike, wash our bike.... Rolling Eyes really the car wash broke down this morning (I built it with friend a few years ago, no longer work there just on call) and was standing on seat to reach top of gantry, looked funny in there so took picture Laughing

cimg4605.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.42 KB
 Viewed:  371 Time(s)

cimg4605.jpg

1ironhead

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Good thread.Finally finished it and will now keep up with it.Here's a old California basket case I picked up for $150 on CL.I bought it before even starting to read this thread.I wanted to build a foot clutch/suicide shift set up like the world renouned Fong Bros and thought a sidehack would be a good wat to keep from losing balance on starts and stops in city traffic.After reading this I may have to reconsider taking my left hand off the bars so often.I quess I'll experiment first.The links and pics are appriciated.I took simple math in school.At almost 49,this stuff makes me want to broaden my horizons.Very inspirational.Thanks.

sidecar1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.43 KB
 Viewed:  379 Time(s)

sidecar1.jpg

sidecar2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.68 KB
 Viewed:  364 Time(s)

sidecar2.jpg

1ironhead

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

One question:Will having no shock make my hack easier to set up(empty and loaded) ?
gordonscott

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Sorry so long in reply, have not checked this thread in a while. First congrats on the sidecar, nice looking chair those are Wink you will have a lot of fun I promise, like starting new again. About you’re “no suspension” on the sidecar? Yes much easier to set up and when weight in car it won’t sag and pull to the right. Harleys have done this forever, they have leaf springs under the car body, and you could do it with short coils maybe? When setting up sidecar get on bike, tie strap the suspension in place with you on it and then line everything up. This way the "lean out" won't change when you get on bike. If sidecar has shock, load with proper amount of weight (passenger weight) in car as well and tie down so it will stay in place. Good luck and if any questions I will try to help if I can.
gordonscott

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

starting the leading link frontend, was going to do over winter but I would like to drive this in the snow so I'm getting started early Very Happy This was the hardest tube I have had to bend yet, .188wall tube. these will be the new fork tubes and will slide in the factory trees. Bike is tied in place and just working out some details to start off so I get proper trail.

cimg4824.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.01 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

cimg4824.jpg

cimg4825.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.84 KB
 Viewed:  402 Time(s)

cimg4825.jpg

1ironhead

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

I'm not here quite as often since things seemed to have been moving S L O W L Y.I have learned that my chair is not rigid after all.It has a tortion ? spring.Any other suggestions in setting this up?I put this project on the back burner(probably till winter),but will still follow this thread and do my research.
gordonscott

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Hey Ironhead, here is some good info for ya..... www.sidecarmaniac.nl/home2.html go to "sidecar tech" very helpfull Smile
1ironhead

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Thanks G,I saw a little different design for a fork brace also.I like yours alot,but this one kinda jumped out at me.I lost the pic.so no link,but I got it in my head.Keep us posted on the leading link.
gordonscott

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

A little more progress, will be cuting the swingarm to length next. It will have adjustable trail 1"-2 1/2" from zero. If you were to ride the bike with this front end and no sidecar you would not make it far, just picture the worst shopping cart from hell you ever had to push Laughing

cimg4868.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.84 KB
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

cimg4868.jpg

cimg4865.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.51 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

cimg4865.jpg

cimg4867.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.5 KB
 Viewed:  357 Time(s)

cimg4867.jpg

Barbara

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

That's going to be a very interesting front end! I'll be checking in to see how it works out! (I'm seriously considering converting my sidecar to use with a BMW R80 I just picked up, and an Earles-based front end would look "right" on that bike, too.....

Lots to think about. Oh--about tie-strapping the chair while you sit on the bike? I just loaded the bike with weight approximating my own, measured the leanout and braced it there, then kept it there while I did the initial mounts. Admittedly I've changed it a dozen times (at least) but that was the starting point. (Jeez, and I'll have to start over on the BMW! Rats!)

So, any thoughts about producing a couple of those front ends for sale if they work out well? There might be a market, starting with me..... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Hi Barb, The front end I’m making is just a regular common leading link so no big advances for mankind there Laughing About setting up the chair, it is hard to do adjustments with all the weight in the chair, try the “strap the suspension” in place method and you will never go back. Think about it, making those little adjustments is hard enough but add 100+lbs on bike and chair and your job is even harder. Simply get on bike, strap suspension in place so when you get off bike it stays in place. #2 put passenger you carry most in chair and do the same so when they get out the suspension stays in place. Now your bike and sidecar is loaded without any weight! Alignment can now be done 100’s of pounds lighter and that makes for a much easier job getting bike and chair in sync and you don’t need a small pit crew to help. p.s. here is a great vid from "adventure sidecar" check it out and try it next time Barb, works great Very Happy www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUfekP2dz8
Barbara

PostPosted: September 19, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the link...very neat! I think that your method just might work---so where you when I was setting up my chair?? Very Happy Very Happy

I do tend to just go out in the shed and try things until something works, but it's really nice to talk with people who actually know how to do things. Makes a huge difference the second time around, which will be coming up as soon as I finish cleaning, polishing and assembling the Beemer. Instead of building the chair mounts and the bike at once, as on the XS, I'll finish up the Beemer, ride it a bit to get the feel of it and work out the bugs, *then* mount the chair. Gonna be fun.....

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

I was reading an add for the Ural bike with a sidecar. One of the options is having both the rear wheel on the bike and the side car wheel drive. Do you think this would minimize the side ways pull of the chair when accelerating and braking?

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

xsleo wrote:
I was reading an add for the Ural bike with a sidecar. One of the options is having both the rear wheel on the bike and the side car wheel drive. Do you think this would minimize the side ways pull of the chair when accelerating and braking?
helps with sideways push and pull but sucks when trying to turn

gordonscott

PostPosted: September 21, 2009, 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Actually it can be worse. When accelerating instead of pulling to right it pulls left, why? Because the weight load is not centered and it is easier to push the sidecar (lighter) then the bike, it is a 50/50 drive. This problem however becomes less evident with a passenger in the car to equal the weight distribution, a good thing really if you plan on carrying passengers or camping gear a lot. Now if it could only go over 55 lol…. Jayel is right about turning, it wants to go strait all the time and is harder to turn (force needed on bars) the faster you go, this is with all sidecar outfits regardless of 1 or 2 wheel drive. Enter “the leading link” :o) these frontends are strong and get the tire closer to zero trail, bad for two wheels but heaven for trikes and sidecars. Ural has the leading link and is set up for decent ease of turning. You dont need a leading link for ease of turning you just need to reduce trail. I just changed my design a bit over the weekend for looks and to get a little more room (away from tire) for where the swingarm will connect to the forks. This is "yankee engineering" close enough for horseshoes and handgranades so don't mind the chicken scratch notes....

collage-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.52 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

collage-1.jpg

cimg4870.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.18 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

cimg4870.jpg

cimg4872.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.92 KB
 Viewed:  453 Time(s)

cimg4872.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Have the swing in the swingarm now, bushings work fine now after some tweeking. I had the swingarm clamped down to table with a tube and bolt between each plate and it still warped under heat enough to be a pain, 16th or so but has to be spot on for it to swing free. Had to heat it up a little and and twist it back into shape, works free now. Shocks are on the way and will be here Saturday, 16 3/4" eye to eye.

cimg4967.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.13 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

cimg4967.jpg

cimg4966.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.25 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

cimg4966.jpg

gordonscott

PostPosted: October 16, 2009, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Well here is a little more progress, got the coilovers and making the mounts now. When done with that all I have left are the brakes. Having a hard time finding tires though? Would like something like an on/off road tire (80/20) but with a 16" rim not much of a choice. I would like a tire that will do well in light snow, anyone have suggestion? Also new to the family, not xs but going to be fun anyway Very Happy dl1000/sidcar built by Duantless Motors.

kenda_k671_cruiser_st_tires_rear_zoom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.23 KB
 Viewed:  326 Time(s)

kenda_k671_cruiser_st_tires_rear_zoom.jpg

cimg4971.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.97 KB
 Viewed:  378 Time(s)

cimg4971.jpg

suzukivstromuralslvrfrt3_2007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.13 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

suzukivstromuralslvrfrt3_2007.jpg

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Barb and other sidecar folk

Came across this.

108988943_full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.38 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)

108988943_full.jpg

108991219_full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.15 KB
 Viewed:  370 Time(s)

108991219_full.jpg

108991239_full.jpg