650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > New ignition installed

New ignition installed
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
xsleo

PostPosted: June 13, 2009, 12:05 am    Post subject: New ignition installed

I just installed one of pamcopete's new ignitions.
The install went well, not hard to do. I had a bit of cklearance problems with the coil. The turn signal flasher mount and another simular mount to the front had to be removed. I also cut the stock coil mount off. The clamps wouldn't set right
I also replaced my ATU. the old one advanced to far and was a bit erratic. When I got it installed and first started it ran a little rough. After timing it and checking how the advance worked, may tinker with the return springs on the ATU.
I hit the throttle a few times and with a few backfires out the exhaust and some big puffs, almost clouds of brownish smoke. I guess the hotter spark was burning the gas enough better to knock any crud that had built up since the rebuild, 1500 miles or so, out of the chambers and exhaust. After a few miles it straightened out and now runs stronger at idle, smoother up the rmps. Seems the exhaust is a bit louder, maybe just me on that.
In the morning, I can see if it starts better cold.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

Yep starts better. One kick, no choke. The electric leg, starts as soon as it turns over. Used to crank at least 10 or 15 seconds, now you can't hardly release the button quick enough. Very well done Pamcopete. Thanks for designing it.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

And certain people on here use to plead their case for points, you know who you are and now you have a pamco.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

dpmphoto wrote:
And certain people on here use to plead their case for points, you know who you are and now you have a pamco.

I have points, work fine. All points and pamcopete's system do is break a circuit and allow a magnetic field to collapse. It ain't rocket science. But if points are too hard for the mechanically challenged to deal with then God bless Pete. Personally I'll spend my money on something else.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

Just why I don't know, but the bike used to not like the rain, ran bad when wet. Now with the new ignition the rain don't bother it.

Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

kingwj,

Well...I remember points...back in the day I would spend a Saturday changing the points on my 2 year old '67 Camaro.....feeler gauges...dwell meter...neon timing light. Just buying the points was an experience. Waited til they were on sale down at the local Western Auto....stood around the counter talking to others doing the same thing...exchanged the finer "points" of changing points....setting the gap....adjusting the dwell.

y son, who was just a little guy then, would come out of the house to help daddy. I'd find something for him to do...make him feel like he was really helping. His mother would be in the kitchen...right next to the driveway where I was lifting the hood of that really cool white with a black roof '67 Camaro....cooking breakfast...oh, that smell of bacon frying was heavenly!

I had a hot cup of coffee....my new points still in the package.....and I would set to work to change the points before the aroma of that bacon overcame me. Didn't want to rush it...had to get it right.

Later we would all go for a ride in that Camaro with the new points...it always drove much better with the new points....

So, I know about points, but that was then and this is now....the first thing I did with my '78/E when I got it was rip out the points and design an electronic system to replace them....spend my Saturday mornings riding instead of screwing with the points.

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

What happened to the bacon???
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

I drove cars and motorcycles with points for many years. Never had any trouble with points ignition.

Favourite motorcycle prior to my XS650, was my 1976 XS500C that I had for 13 years, and ran perfect on points.

Favourite car was my 1968 Mustang, 289 cu in V8, which ran extremely well on points. Almost too well, the first year I got it had to pay 3 speeding tickets. Drove it 100,000 miles.

Points was the technology of that time, and worked well then, and will still work well to-day. However, if you don't want to fiddle with gaps and feeler gauges and dwell meters, then a system like the Pamco just makes life easier.
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

RG wrote:
"........then a system like the Pamco just makes life easier. "

y life will become easier sometime this coming week, I just ordered a new Pamco.

xsleo

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

I grew up with Pontiacs. One thing about the general motors points i liked was the window in the cap for adjusting the points. You inserted the allen wrench thru the window, hooked on the dwell meter, started the engine and turned the allen wrench until the dwell meter read the right dwell. Much better than Having to adjust, test, adjust, test like many cars had.
I had a 69 Ford Falon I put a 289 engine in. A friend gave me a dual point distributer for. That was a real treat to change and adjust the points in. I got to where it was easier to pull the distributer, take it inside and do it on the kitchen table. Then put it back in. I usually had to pull it anyway, easy to drop a mount screw down inside.

Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

You haven't lived until you've changed the points in a slant six, geeeeeez!
feliz

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

I'm mechanically inept and would buy a Pamco if it was simply a bolt on operation but I'm not into fabricating brackets, clamps, etc. I've always resisted changing any of my bikes from points but after spending this weekend sorting my ignition out I'm about ready to convert.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

feliz,

Hello again. Installing the PAMCO does not necessarily involve fabricating brackets etc. You can use two ground clamps to mount the coil to the cross bar. The PAMCO plate is just installed as a substitute for the points plate. uses the same hold down screws, set the timing the same way as points.

Here is a pic of the coil installed in my old faithful '78/E:

Here is the PAMCO plate and electronics installed:

And the rotor that takes the place of the points cam:

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

Well fellers, I ordered the Pamco on sunday night and it came wednesday. I could hardly wait for the bike to cool down after I rode over to the shop to install it. It was TOO EASY to install, a few bullet connectors, some heat shrink tubing and PRESTO. When I pulled the trigger to start it the engine lit up as soon as the starter engaged. Set the timing, buttoned things up and went for a ride. INCREDIBLE!!! I had to reset the idle because it had jumped up about 400 rpm. No more points for this old geezer, I'm hooked, and going to order another Pamco for my '73 resto project.

Pete, you are the man! Cool

Do you have any plans to design one for the R model BMWs?

killer

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

I ordered mine too. Not sure where I'm going to mount the dual output coil when the flasher unit is in the way. Its all getting rather tight under the tank.

1979 XS650 2F0
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

killer wrote:
Not sure where I'm going to mount the dual output coil when the flasher unit is in the way. Its all getting rather tight under the tank.

I mounted the coil as in the picture above and zip tied the oem flasher to the right side of the old coil bracket. Pulled off the signal canceller per the advice of the more experienced members here abouts.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

Quote::
Pulled off the signal canceller per the advice of the more experienced members

The signal cancel unit hasn't worked in years anyway. I was hoping to squeeze the flasher up in and tuck it in the cancel unit's place... but I don't think it fits.

1979 XS650 2F0
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New ignition installed

Killer,

You can just tuck the flasher up into that cuby hole in front of the coil where the cross bar and riser meet.

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1