650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
rhilker

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 10:01 pm    Post subject: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

This is pretty bad, they should ban them from service. The Canadian Cops are just as trigger happy. I hope she sues and wins.
Huntington post

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

The case where the RCMP tasered the immigrant at the Vancouver Airport 5 times, and killed him, was disgusting. Then the RCMP lied and tried to cover it up. Shocked
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

What? The police would NEVER lie!!!
JeffM

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Robinson, the senior officer at Vancouver Airport went on to hit and kill a motorcyclist while driving drunk.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

In Iowa City a few years back, some drunken, off-duty cop jumped the kerb and put his Camaro through the side of a house at two-thirty in the morning. The people woke up and came outside. They stood and watched while on-duty cops in a prowl car unloaded all the beer from the Camaro's trunk so the drunk cop wouldn't be charged.
TeeCat

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

I rarely voice input on non-motorcycle topics here, but this incident was appalling. What's more appalling, though, is that the officer's barracks is defending his actions.

Their contention is that, by refusing to sign the citation and attempting to return to her car, she (words to this effect) "took a simple situation and made it very difficult to mitigate".

Huh? Sad

Well, I suppose the officer felt threatened, and was overcome with the need to employ deadly force, as the elderly woman walked AWAY from him toward her car! Mad Yes, that's it... he felt threatened. Sad Would it have not been more prudent to simply issue a bench warrant to either collect the fee, since that's what's really at issue here, or extend to her the opportunity to appear in court? After all... the incident's on video; presumably the officer can support his charge.

With respect to the law enforcement profession and to those who execute their charge with decorum, there needs to be a good hard look taken at what "protecting and serving" means, versus employing deadly force with impunity in order to collect a spoonful of revenue from an old woman in the "interest" of "public safety". With the tenor of these times, one would think that law enforcement officers would have bigger fish to fry.

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

As for those poor souls that enjoyed the rein of the Nazis.......they would just shoot 50 or 100 people if someone misbehaved.....guess we are lucky to just have one or two electrocuted occasionally…and a little pepper spray couldn’t possibly be compared to the gas chambers……..it will probably take a senators son or daughter misbehaving and getting zapped or sprayed to death before any meaningful discussion arises……then again you must do as you are told………

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
IAmGrowler

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

I'm not exactly for the idea of tasering 72 year old biddies. . . .

OTOH, having watched the entire video, I'm thinking the Officer was left with only a few options -- All of which would have generated controversy in one form or another.

I knew she was toast the second she disobeyed the Officers instructions and tried to get back into her truck.

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

I think using a taser should have the same inquiy as pulling a gun. I don't think the cops realize how dangerous these things are, certainly thats the way they were sold on the idea. "non-lethal" The cops have been very nonchalant about this.

At 72 the women is lucky to be alive. XSJOHN is right, one day they will kill or mame the wrong person. Maybe someone like Ted Kenedy. Then the s*** will hit the fan.

There is a call out right now in Canada to have these things banned. Anyone want to start a lobby group? I'm good at web site development. It could be lucrative.

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

It would be nice to hear and see the entire incident. Yes she is old andits not in the best interest to tazer a feeble person and im guessing the officer used a low setting as well. He could have let her drive away and ticketed or whatever since she didnt sign it. Although she was resisting and no cooperating with the officers directions.

In all fairness she was warned and jsut cause you're old doesnt mean you dont have to obey the law.

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

I thought tasering was supposed to be a more humane alternative to deadly force. But he would never have used his service gun there. What a slippery slope.
Photo Gallery
erb224

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

I heard the the audio of the stop on the radio yesterday. She wasn't complying to his orders and when she was told she would be tazed (sp?) she basically dared him to do it.

Long story short...If the lights are flashing on a police car you should listen to them.

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

It was an elderly lady. That either means something to you or it doesn't.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Excluding old ladies and people that have obviously fallen dead on the pavement if I was a cop I would want a flame thrower to deal with some of the drug crazed loons and mental idiots out here....even got some on this site......... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

this conversation seems to be taking a turn of events..

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Not really........there was a smile at the end........ that could mean maybe there was an attemp of some humor and trying to maybe crack a little joke..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
erb224

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

xjwmx wrote:
It was an elderly lady. That either means something to you or it doesn't.

It means something to me, but if it was my grandma she'd listen to the cop. Very Happy

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

No "jack booted thug" has any business using a tazer on an old lady..EVER! So what if she wouldn't sign the ticket. So what if she walked away. It's not like she's going to really get away with anything. Issue a warrant for her arrest and pick her up later.

There was another police video where a black woman was tazered because she wouldn't put down her cell phone. Like the scary little lady was going to hurt the big bad cop.

That thug has no business being a police officer. NOBODY deserves to be tazered over a traffic violation no matter how rude the offender is.

I could go on, but I get sick hearing these kinds of stories. Some of these cops are out of hand, and yet they want respect. I respect his gun and his tazer, but I'm losing it for the uniform.

arty (in Georgia)
dwyatt

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Don't mess with Texas .......
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Maybe a cop will save an old lady someday by tazering her back to life when she falls out from a heart attack and there is no medics at the scene...........hey there might be a bright side to all of this....... Very Happy

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

You saw that on MacGyver.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Hi Guys,

So I'm wondering--suppose the victim here was oh, about 8 1/2 months pregnant and 25 years old....do you suppose she would be enough of a threat to be tasered?

The use of these things calls for too much judgment from a cop basically trained to subdue and ask questions later.

It may well be the duty of a citizen to follow the directions of a cop. Open to interpretation, but that's the general idea, right? However, if a citizen shoots an intruder during that intruder's commission of a felony, he is still charged. Why not the cop? Let him prove that it was necessary to his safety to zap the old lady, and if he can't prove it, he should be punished, and I don't mean a meaningless reprimand, I mean jail for assault.

The only problem I have with cops is that some people who want most to be cops are the ones who definitely should never be cops...... Confused

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

If it was a 250pd man acting the way she did then maybe tazer. Obviously each situation is going to be different and the police could use better judgment. There was no threat to him. My opinion hes an a hole.
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 YO Woman Tasered by Cops at Traffic Stop

Agreed. These things were designed and issued to disable a linebacker sized guy that would ordinarily paint the sidewalk with an average sized cop. If that cop's wife mouthed off to him and he pulled that stunt he would be arrested and jailed instantly for domestic violence. So why is the department trying to cover his behind? Are they afraid that granny may escape from the next church bake sale and come gunning for him? These guys are supposed to be trained to handle volatile circumstances with a calm demeanor, not to let a verbal attack from a 100 pound little old lady scare them into taking disabling action. He deserves that same maximum punisment that any citizen would receive for doing the same thing. An assault charge with a few months in jail would allow the other inmates with grandmothers of their own to settle the score. Give her the speeding ticket and give him what he deserves.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2