650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Good carb rebuild kit?

Good carb rebuild kit?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 15, 2006, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Good carb rebuild kit?

I'm looking to get started on my XS rebuild and figure I'll start with fuel.

I took a good look at the internals of the carbs today and found some frightening things. including, but not limited to:
metal flakes in the bottom of the float bowl, main jets from a differnet carb that had been ground down to fit in the hole, 1 missing drain bolt, diaphrams with cracks and holes around the edges, no float valves, and of course bad rubber and fiber seals all around.

Some of this stuff I can scrounge from the other set of carbs I have, but the perishable stuff will have to be new.

Talking to my freindly (as if) local Yamaha dealer, i was informed that all of the parts for a carb rebuild will have to be ordered seperately, if they are still available.

So the question is whether anyone knows where I can find a decent carb rebuild kit, hopefully including diaghrams?
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: August 15, 2006, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Good carb rebuild kit?

I used the ones from MikesXS and was very pleased with the outcome.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: August 16, 2006, 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Good carb rebuild kit?

You may be able to find a bettr set to start with on eBay as well. MikesXS is excellent.
Photo Gallery
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 16, 2006, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Good carb rebuild kit?

thanks guys,
Those kits look like just what the doctor ordered, mikesxs looks like a really good resource. Do I have any hope of replacing my diaghrams without replacing the whole slide (slides are about $70/each and will set my project back a few weeks at least)? Or are they attached permanently?

If I am to spend a couple of hundred bucks rebuilding these carbs (140 for slides + 40 for rebuilds), and am not really fond of CV carbs to begin with (simplicity is a virtue), am i better off trying to get a hold of a set of mechanical slides? I saw a whole set up with carbs and filters and cables for something like $300 on e-bay
e-bay
Maybe I could trade my two sets of CV's for a good working set of mechanicals?
Thanks again.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 16, 2006, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Good carb rebuild kit?

Let me know how that trade thing goes. I think you will find few takers for that deal.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
ajohnson

PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Good carb rebuild kit?

Yeah i don't figure they are worth much. Maybe this project is just fate telling me to get rid of all the olds parts in the garage for whatever they are worth in order to build a really sweet xs. I think i will just sell some stuff and save up to get a nice brand new set of carbs.

Anyone know what the options are regarding which carb I use? or have a good experience with a certain set?

Are the jetting specs going to be different with mechanical slides?

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1