650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > What do you think of the bike so far

What do you think of the bike so far
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
Dallas

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: What do you think of the bike so far

Hey Everyone.
Picked her up about a month ago and finally am at a point that I thought I could post some pics. Let me know what you think!.
When I brought her home....

How she looks now.

Thanks for looking!
Dallas
Photo Gallery
pablohoney

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

cool.
ady66

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

I like the seat - I 've been thinking of doing something similar with my roadster project but with a big old Lycette saddle or similar. Is your rear mudguard frame or swingarm mounted? - doesn't look like there's much clearance but it could just be the angle of the pic.
Dallas

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

ady66-
Its frame mounted, there is very little clearance but so far hasnt been a problem. Those rebel shocks are stiff! Plus I only weigh a buck 35.

Dallas
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

I like the stance, looks ready for war!

JMHO the 2 sets of springs looks a bit weird! Could maybe try to matt black one set (the shocks for mine) out????

Hope your loving it either way, cheers

Dallas

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

I agree, I had originally wanted to flat mount the seat, but I just wanted to ride and not make a freakin bracket for it. So Ill change it eventually either to blacked out hairpin style springs or flat mount.

Dallas
Photo Gallery
JayLee

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

Thank god there are after pics! I thought the first pic was it. A thousand times better.
Teebs

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

That bike was a disaster when you got it. Nice small changes to turn it into something that looks slightly menacing. Love the bag... nice effect.

I agree about the seat. It's actually one of my pet peeves on soft tail bob/chop projects. I think a sprung seat with shocks looks ridiculous. I understand tho about the ease of doing it that way. It's a very quick fix and still ten times better than what was on it.

Do you have anything more planned for her?
west24

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

on the fender, did u use the existing mounts for the original inner plastic fender? Looks mean... I like it
ghostyder

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

definate improvement. the rebel shocks are stiff, ive got em too and im a little over 200lbs they dont budge unless i hit a bump. i like the bag too, i may steal that idea for mine down the road. ditch the solo springs!!

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

I am going to get rid of the springs soon, just need to make a new front bracket to kinda dip down so the seat can mount flat. It will look much better imho. Next steps are reliability related. Then when I get some cash Im going to ditch the stock speedo/tach for a mini one to clean up the bars a bit.
If any one was wondering the bag is a vietnam gas mask bag... 4 bucks from the army navy surplus. Getting another one for the other side here soon. Then Im going to ride it.
Photo Gallery
Dallas

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

west24- The PO had already bobbed the fender. He moved the mounting tabs back on the frame a bit and used the original mounts in the fender.

Dallas
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

What are those saddle bags? I want a pair!

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

The bags are BAD ASS! I gotta find some now.
Photo Gallery
hinz

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

Those bags aren't a giant secret guys, just look for "surplus army messenger bags" there's a ton of them online and on ebay.
I personally like the musette bag but you can also use the paratrooper messenger bag or map bag.
Dallas

PostPosted: May 29, 2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

drifter, bags are Vietnam gas mask bags. Cut off the straps and used hose clamps to hook them on. They were 4 bucks.

Dallas
Photo Gallery
shaydaddy

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

could you take some zoomed in pics of how the fender mounts. My setup is similar and I'm trying to figure out how i want to mount mine.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

Didn't notice it before,but man it looks like you have a rats nest of wiring there near the headlight,what ya gonna do with that? one ride in the rain and your looking at some possible problems.Otherwise it's a cool ride one of a kind
Tunz

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

hey man - the bike looks great! one question - what r you using for shocks, I like the lower profile of your bike! cheers
acbanks

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

Looks like mine...in other words I like it!

I frame mounted my rear fender with the stock rear springs and had some issues with my back tire rubbing. Especially when my heavier friends ride it, haha.

Now I just need some old saddle bags like that.

0514091952.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.59 KB
 Viewed:  218 Time(s)

0514091952.jpg

Photo Gallery
Luke4554

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of the bike so far

Looks a ton better .. curious what you guys are doing for coating exhausts? ceramic coating or powdercoating? ect ..

Thanks,

Luke

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1