650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Mounting the "Green Monster" coil
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

MikesXS has recently introduced a new high performance coil works very well with the PAMCO ignition system. The coil, #17-6810, is included in one of the kits that Mikes affers. Here is a method to mount the coil in '72 to '79 modells:

Start by buying two ground clamps from home depot:

Part number #051411160104 @ $1.46 ea.

And the next larger size:

Bolt these clamps to the ends of the coil:

(Note the equalizing washers)

And mount the whole deal on the crossbar above where the stock coils were:

It's uncanny how the mounting holes for large clamp fit right over the rear holes for the stock coils! I can't take credit for the large clamp. I saw where someone else used the large clamp and I'm just copying that idea here, but it saves all the hassle of welding and screwing around with the mounting dilema.

This mounting method also meets the criteria for heat sinking the coil and exposing it to some air to keep it cool.

Last edited by pamcopete on June 28, 2009, 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Pete -- I see both wires are RED. Is that significant? Doesn't one side go to ground through the Pamco unit, like the coil used to ground through the points?
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

jkimmythetrucker

There is no signifigance to both wires being red. As you can see, there are female spade connectors on the ends of the wires to match the green from the PAMCO and the red/white from the kill switch. That particular coil gets moved around between my two bikes and the test setup I use to check out the systems, so I simply crimped a couple of female terminals on the coil which match the wiring in the bikes and the test setup.

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

isnt there other things that are mounted in the location of where the coil is one toward the front of the bike and another right below the top frame bar

turn signal relay maybe and something else

if i am correct where did you relocate these too

Pamco Electronic Ignition
Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

bkmarsha

The turn signal flasher is mounted just to the right of where the coil is. This can be relocated into that little cubby hole in front of the coil.

I think that the other item is probably the self cancelling unit. I just removed mine.

If you could post a couple of pictures, or describe the wire color code for the items you are refering to, I could perhaps do better.

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

that is what they are i found the answer in another post

one of these days i will learn to read and then ask questions instead of just posting stuff wherever i want to

thanks again your great

Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery
bkmarsha

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

did you have to remove the tabs from the flasher and the auto cancel unit to make the coil fit

mine does not go in as nice as the one you have shown in the picture

Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

I got a buddy who's a certified pipe welder. I believe I'll just buy two of the number #051411160104 clamps and just use the top half of both. My buddy can weld them to the frame, and it looks as though I'll save some room under there by going that way.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

bkmarsha,

Well, that picture is from my old faithful '78/E that has had just about every coil there is installed at one time or another for testing and product development, so I don't know if I had to remove the tabs or not. There is a tab just in front of the coil that has to be bent back to make room, and I think that was the original tab for the flasher.

The mounting for the flasher is not really critical. If you have to remove a tab to make room for the coil, then that's what you will have to do because the coil has to be mounted there for cooling with the clamps to conduct heat from the coil to the frame.. The flasher can just be tie wrapped to the wiring.

I removed the cancelor, and I personally think that the self cancelling feature is dangerous because it is unpredictable. The cancellor can just be unplugged. There is no wiring change or jumpering required. The turn signals will work just fine, they just wont cancel automatically.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

jimmythe trucker,

You may want to experiment with welding the bottom half of the clamp first because I don't know what kind of metal they are made of. Probably galvanized iron, not steel.

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

pamcopete wrote:

my old faithful '78/E that has had just about every coil there is installed at one time or another for testing and product development

What's a good, cheap coil with the oem form factor for a bike with factory ei?
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

pamcopete wrote:
jimmythe trucker,

You may want to experiment with welding the bottom half of the clamp first because I don't know what kind of metal they are made of. Probably galvanized iron, not steel.

You're probably right about the galvanized iron. So are you telling me that galvanized iron can't be welded?
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

So what if I get a chunk of 1" rebar. Saw a couple of pieces off of that one inch long. Drill both of 'em through the center axis and tap the holes to take a 5/16 cap screw. Weld one end of each piece to the frame and mount the coil on the tapped ends. Bet that'll work.

I'm not set against doing it your way, Pete: I'm just trying to get a little more clearance above the coil for those plug wires and maybe set the coil a little farther back in the niche to gain room at the front.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

jimmythetrucker,

Jimmy....you're the guy with the certified pipe welder buddy! LOL

I don't know if iron and steel can be welded together.

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

pamcopete wrote:
jimmythetrucker,

Jimmy....you're the guy with the certified pipe welder buddy! LOL

I don't know if iron and steel can be welded together.

Well I don't know either. My buddy ain't sittin here next to me. He's a millwright and I hate to bug him during the daytime because he works high a lot. I get the shakes when I think how I'd feel if he fell off a 300-foot structure because I rang his cell just so I could ask some stupid question about welding rebar. He's a mean mortarforker, too. He'd probably haunt me to my grave.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Just grind the galvanizing off and weld steel to steel. Not much contact area to weld though.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 4, 2009, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Here is a video of "The Green Monster" coil at work, jumping a 1 inch gap:

Also shown is the test settup used to test every PAMCO prior to shipping. It's basically a lathe with an adaptor plate for the PAMCO and a rotor in the chuck. The speed of the lathe can be varied all the way up to the equivalent of 6,000 crankshaft RPM. An ocilioscope is also used to check the primary voltage waveform for rise time and clamping voltage, spark duration etc.

PS: The spark is not missing, it's just the camera frames sometimes catch it when there is no spark.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Quote::
"jimmythetrucker"]I got a buddy who's a certified pipe welder. I believe I'll just buy two of the number #051411160104 clamps and just use the top half of both. My buddy can weld them to the frame, and it looks as though I'll save some room under there by going that way.

You're probably right about the galvanized iron. So are you telling me that galvanized iron can't be welded?

How did your welding buddy get on with welding these clamps jtt. Where are the Pics? Are the clamps made of galvanized iron or steel? did you find out? and did you find out if galvanized steel can be welded?
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting the "Green Monster" coil

Just a reminder: Do not apply power to or operate the "Green Monster" coil with one or both spark plugs disconnected. Both plugs must be connected at all times.

With only one plug connected, the 75,000 Volts will find a ground internally to the frame via the primary windings and short out. This happens on the very first spark and is ireversable......that means that the COIL IS FRIED and will never work again.

So, take your time when installing the coil or working on the engine. Look and think about it before you turn the key on.

This phenomena is true for all dual output coils, not just the Green Coil with the PAMCO. However, other coils may give you a chance to correct the error of your ways, but the "Green Monster" IS UNFORGIVING AND WILL SHORT OUT ON THE VERY FIRST SPARK due to the very high 75,000 Volts.

Just have a look at the video above and ask yourself.....where is this power going to go if there is no path through the plugs?

If you find yourself looking at a disconnected plug wire just as you turn on the key, DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF as that may produce a spark and fry the coil. Just put the missing plug wire on before you do anything else.

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1