650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Rotor failure on the road.

Rotor failure on the road.
    Forum Index -> Electrical
rhilker

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Rotor failure on the road.

I got this from :
www.xs650.org.au/xs650%20tips.html

Rotor Failure on the Road

If you are out riding and feel you have experienced a rotor failure (Bike dies for no apparent reason, BLOWN FUSE starter just clicks or grunts when engaged, horn sounds like a weenie, a candle burns brighter than your headlight), and you need to get your bike off the side of the road, at least out of the middle of no where to some business do this.

BEFORE HAND, wrap a 6" strip of black electrical tape around one of your tools in your tool pouch. You do have one Yes? In the event you think your rotor's failed based on symptoms I previously noted, remove the side cover over the alternator brushes. Remove the GREEN wire and tape it up. Anyone know why??? Smile
Next, On earlier models turn your head light off. On later models the headlight relay should keep the headlight off if the alternator isn't charging. (Good sigh charging problems) If not remove the headlight fuse. i.e., Kill the headlight! If you're riding at night (Bummer) see if you can get someone to let you ride in behind them with their flashers on. And if your really lucky and someone has some jumper cables, a few minutes charge will get you a long(er) way. So there you have it, FWIW! May you never have to use it!!
Ken in TN

I'll bite. Why?

This a good question for retiredgentleman.

I'm assuming that the green is ground.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

takes the load off the rotor and/or stator, one or the other isn't working and may be drawing a short, disconnected no load more battery voltage for other more important stuff like coils Laughing probably be a better idea to plug the stator and rotor plugs get them compleatly out of the circuit
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

Well, if you have a PAMCO system, you can limp home with a 6 volt lantern battery hooked up to the coil and PAMCO. I have tested it that way, and it will run for 2 hours on that battery.

Prepare for this eventuality by running a fuse for the coil and PAMCO under the seat. When the lights go out, remove the fuse and jumper the lanttern battery to ground and the wire going to the ignition. Lantern batteries are available everywhere for about $3. Buy two and ride all the way home from the campground!

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

My rotor failed a couple of years back (miles from home, at night of course!). Got someone to bring a spare partially charged battery, disconnected headlight and rode 10 miles to their place behind them. Next day the same battery got me about 60 miles before expiring about 2 miles from home. If batteries were smaller and lighter I'd carry a spare Smile (Rotor was reading about 1 ohm between the slip rings - not enough to keep the bike running but may possibly have provided a little power. If resistance was zero I may not have got as far?)
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

Lots of good tips there to help in an emergency breakdown. I have an emergency by-pass wired in on my bike, similar to what Pamcopete suggests. I have a wire running from my battery through an empty fuse holder directly to the ignition coil ( and Pamco circuit board as well).

If the ignition switch, kill switch or associated wiring should fail, I can just pop in a 10 amp fuse and kick start the engine. Not a good situation, no lights or signals or charging, but it may get you home.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 21, 2009, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

ON the older bike's, 79 back, the green wire is the hot to the brushes from the regulator. If left unwrapped it will short to ground. On the later models the hot to the brushes is the brown wire and the green wire is grounded thru the regulator.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

xsleo wrote:
ON the older bike's, 79 back, the green wire is the hot to the brushes from the regulator. If left unwrapped it will short to ground. On the later models the hot to the brushes is the brown wire and the green wire is grounded thru the regulator.

What's meant by this? When I installed the Pamco on my '73, I don't recall reading anything about wrapping any wires up. Embarassed

TC
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotor failure on the road.

I was referencing the guestion rhilker asked about why the green wire was taped up in the first post.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1